Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went and replaced all the bearings on the jackshaft and drive shaft and I am reinstalling everyting. I got everything on but the automatic slack adjuster on the chaincase. I am really having a tuff time with it. I know the basic idea of how it works.. a wind spring inside puts tention on a worm gear and that slides the adjuster out against the chain adjuster, however it seems that when I try to screw the unit back into the chaincase the worm gear just basicly screws all the way out on me which causes it to have too much tention on it when the housing is screwed in all the way. it seems that no matter what way I do it it wants to just spin all the way out. I must be doing something wrong... I just cant figure it out. Is there a secret? I was thinking about just ditching this unit and installing the manual adjuster out of a 98 chaincase I have. Im worried that the 98 isnt a reverse case and maybe the reverse needs that adjuster so it has a small amout of play in it when you shock it by going in reverse? The 98 one is a solid bolt so it will have no real "play" to soften when going from rev to front or front to rev. ??? Any info ??

thanx

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you havent gotten it yet, there is a little screw on the tensioner that you have to take out, I think its a 10/24 screw. You have to push the adjuster in and use a longer screw and tighten it up, it lockes it in place, put the adjuster in and take the longer screw out and put the other one back in. :beerchug:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by Bonestock?@Sep 19 2005, 09:05 PM
If you havent gotten it yet, there is a little screw on the tensioner that you have to take out, I think its a 10/24 screw. You have to push the adjuster in and use a longer screw and tighten it up, it lockes it in place, put the adjuster in and take the longer screw out and put the other one back in. :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=882949
[/quote]

That is very helpful. I always took the cover off and unwound the spring then put the unit in and then rewound the spring to the tention I wanted. This sounds much easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts