Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HCS We're Watching You !!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any of you ZRT guys ever raced the 01 or 02' ZR 800's...cross country edition in particular. Wondering how they faired out......

·
Registered
226 Posts
well i dont have a zrt but i do have a zr800 and have raced all kinds of zrt's 600 and 800 there is a guy that i was racing this past year out on the lake with a hooper ported 600 and he couldent touch me, all he kept saying was i had a 1010 or somethig. now the zrt 800's still have a rouch time keeping up with a well tuned zr800 but this is stock for stock, i have raced alot of the zrt8's and it all depends on what is done and how good its tuned. last year all i had done to my sled was a exhaust can w/stok pipe, v force reeds, powerbreather, speed track with picks, and well tuned clutches. with that done it was still hard for the zrt8's to keep up, keep in mind this is only on a 660' track who knows how they would fair up further down the road, when asking if anyone has raced another sled you need to spec. trail, grass, ice...... there are a million variables in "racing" . on another not where are you from in michigan? if your around the lake st. clair area im sure you have been out to anchor bay, there is all kinds of racing going on out there to check out. :div20:

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,817 Posts
I have a buddy of mine that has a 2002 ZR800 w/pipe and clutch work, it really runs well. Out on Anchor Bay with the ~1,000 tracks, I usually come out ahead in the end. He'll get me out of the hole, but I pass him pretty hard at about 3/4 track or 80-90 mph. Got to admit, the ZR is a much better trail sled though. :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rlh6805, I just got rid of my 2001 ZR800 (best sled I ever owned) and bought a 2000 ZRT800. I haven't driven it yet but can hardely waite. Could you give me some of the reasons why you think that the ZR is a better trail sled then the ZRT. They have very similer chasis and sup.

Auggie

·
Registered
444 Posts
WEIGHT 100 miles of rough trail and you will know first hand why
tripples are gone and why FIRECATS and RVEs rule.

·
Registered
2013 Turbo
3,817 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Sep 14 2005, 11:34 AM
Rlh6805, I just got rid of my 2001 ZR800 (best sled I ever owned) and bought a 2000 ZRT800. I haven't driven it yet but can hardely waite. Could you give me some of the reasons why you think that the ZR is a better trail sled then the ZRT. They have very similer chasis and sup.

Auggie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=874452
[/quote]

Yep, weight!!. It really gets to be a :banghead: when the trails get rough, but when they are smooth... :beerchug: :banana: I usually will ride my SnoPro if I know the trails are going to be bad, that is unless my son goes with me. Don't get me wrong, it's really a nice sled, but it is outdated. I can't wait until I can swing a new sled, but until then the "old" ZRT does the trick. BTW, I don't think I will ever sell it. Probably just relagate it's duties to drag racing duties :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 2 Cents. A person needs to learn how to ride the tripple. Not to say you can not ride, the tripple handles different due to the additional weight. The instant TQ from the twin is nice but you can get a Tripple to hall some A$$ on the top end. It will wear you out trying to muscle a Tripple around on the tight trails the Twin will be much nicer in the tight trails and at the slower speeds. I found myself staying into the happy handle all the way into the corner then break hard to point myself where I wanted to go and then back on the happy handle again. That worked best for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wizzard if I had that at home I wouldn't leave the house. Forget sleds. Perhaps you can give me directions, I ride in Grayling most the time...

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
AS abbagoz said, the triples are something you have to get used to. It may not be as lightweight as the twin. However i find the extra weight on the front end really keeps i planted in the corners once you have your sled set-up, for example we have a 2001 zrt 600 (6" wear bars, 96 pcks), a 2001 zr 600 LE, a 2005 gsx 600 ho sdi, and my sled. The zrt currently out handles the zr, the zr however does not have pics yet, the zrt is more point and shoot, the front end doesnt have any ski lift and doesnt push. We have ridden 250mile days and the zrt is just as comfortable as the Rev or ZR. Personnally i will take the handling of the zrt or zr over the rev anyday, i dont like the excessive ski lift the rev has, i dont like how you sit on the rev, you cant throw the sled around basically you do what teh sled wants, it also is very very slippery without picks, probably due to the dual carbides and no picks.

However to add to the Zr vs. ZRT scenario we should know this winter we'll be having a 2002 zr 800 ride with us from time to time, its completely stock except 144 studs, and our zrt is mbrp,96 picks, and dd clutched. Its just to see how far behind the 600,should be intresting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts