Hardcore Sledder banner

ZR9000 Team clutch explosion

75K views 298 replies 60 participants last post by  Turboflash 
#1 ·
Those of us with Team primary clutches should make sure to do close (VERY close) inspection of movable side of clutch. I had my Team clutch replaced under warranty (recall) in 2017. However, 2 weeks ago when I was just inspecting it, I used a mirror to look closely at the movable side and behold, it was cracked in several places. AND, I've seen a few other Team clutches with same kinds of cracks. (This is a '17 ZR9000 Ltd that ran 2 years with a 280HP tune (PEFI) and this year their 320 tune. I have 2 close buddies with '17 TCats w 280 tunes and their clutches are NOT cracked (yet). The first few pics are my cracked Team clutch (taken w a mirror so we can see the movable side) and the last two are of a guy who had his 2020 TCat with 290HP TD tune blow up his primary Team clutch. Take note and inspect your primary clutch. Looks like it hurt bad!!

Attachments

See less See more
#243 ·
So I have a question on the updated Team Drive Clutch Cat had as a replacement for the recall they did. Are these updated Team clutches still a problem or have they been corrected. The reason I ask is that I’m hearing from other turbo owners that the upgrade is the way to go and they seem to be happy and no talk of cracking. My 18 has the upgrade on it and checking weekly haven’t seen a problem. Has over 5000 kms on the upgraded clutch so far.

#248 ·
Team primary inward travel is stopped by the inside of the cover hitting the spider lock nut. Bad design. If/when belt blows, instantly the clutch bangs against the lock nut. This is usually the cause for cracked/broken covers. Cracks can also come from cover banging the lock nut when throttle is WOT and track leaves the snow. Clutch suddenly shifts up all the way banging cover onto the nut.
The 911 cover is thicker/stronger (so usually it doesn't break) but then the weak point is the towers right next to where the cover bolts are. So then the towers break instead of the cover. Like I said, bad design/application for sled that has 200+ HP. JMO.

#260 ·
Best option is going to cost about $1700 cnd. I got two Adapt clutches. One from Cat and the better price was Black Diamond Extreme. $1710 with SSI adjustables, SSI billet face plate and built with titanium hardware used stock bolt. I believe the aftermarket weights Dalton ( my 8000 rr) or SSI ( my T Cat), there are others also that eliminate or slow down bushing wear and actual weight grooving.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bicycle part Wheel

#269 ·
Has there been any long term reports on the ADAPT yet? I was seeing on some quebec high mileage riders that its going through buttons like crazy and weak covers.
Looks like they have their issues too, so its not all rainbows and lollipops switching to the ADAPT. You can find TEAMS pretty cheap now as people want to get rid of them. I have over 23,000kms on two different team clutches and no cracks with big power!

#273 ·
You’re not alone. I know several T Cat owners with PB80’s and no issues and very quiet. I couldn’t get one when I needed one or I may have done the same. They have a newer set up now for higher horsepower sleds so I guess that also is bonus and price is a big saving. They don’t seem easy to get though.

#274 ·
I spent about a grand on it with all the upgrades and holder(you need this) with a 998 over the summer.

It's got a two year warranty thats likely going to be a 1 year at this rate. Probably going to get that knockout kit as it will likely reduce a lot of the bad harmonics of the 998.

#275 ·
I went PB80 on both of our (18/19) stock 9000’s that showed the infamous cracks in pre season maintenance a few years back.

PB80….Smooth, simple, effective, and quieter than the stock. Great on belts too.

IMO better performance for our type riding than the AC Team Primary.

#283 ·
I think they approached it this way for a fix for several reasons. They didn’t manufacture the clutch Team Industries did. Not a high enough numbers had issues ( many I know swithched to a different clutch while their original was fine). I have Adapts on both sleds and my TCat Team is in perfectly good condition. My son has an 18 8000 still original clutch in perfect working order. The ones that blow are very often on boosted sleds that the clutch wasn’t built for. So my opinion is they covered the safety aspect with this approach. In a perfect world we all would have got a new clutch but we don’t live in a perfect world. There are groups of Cat riders have no idea there is or was an issue with the Team clutch . HCS tends to focus on issues similar on all brands when the general snowmobiling public have know idea.