Hardcore Sledder banner
121 - 140 of 299 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 ·
bring it to your dealer, my buddy just got warranty on his clutch its a 2019 tcat out of warranty with about 3500 miles. i cracked mine last year and arctic cat replaced it 2018 tcat I was also out of warranty. if the dealer isn't getting you warranty, call cat they will come good for it
Buddy of mine '17 TCat stock w 3700 miles just got a new one under warranty.

Going to get hurt? Did you look at my friends foot in the 1st post? It fractured several bones in his foot and took quite a few stitches to piece it back together. What if a piece flies through hood and hits you in the face? It could go right through your face shield.
Was it reported so the rest of us can take them to task and get a proper response... or a proper recall?

Discussion starter · #123 ·
Was it reported so the rest of us can take them to task and get a proper response... or a proper recall?
Did you read thread from beginning?
Post 7 describes actions I've taken with Consumer Product Safety Commission. ANY Cat dealer knows of this problem even though Arctic Cat is doing their best to deny it and cover it up
Recently, I was informed by CPSC that they had submitted an official complaint to Arctic Cat which requires Cat to respond within 90 days their plans and actions to address this problem.
CPSC has promised to keep me informed as I am the originator of the complaint.

Picked up a 21 riot this past Saturday and see that the drive clutch does not have the rubber puck backed guide buttons in it and it moves completely free like it should. Buttons look pressed in like they use to be. Did the two strokes always have buttons in them like this from past team model years or is this an update?? Also, the clutch will fully close to base of sheeves contacting each other; no contact of spider nut to cover. I haven't had a chance to look at the webbing on the inside of the moveable on my 19 turbo to compare but, I think the webbing on this 8000 clutch looks heavier but don't hold me on that one yet. I'll try and look this weekend. Unless the two stroke clutches have always been like this???....then there may have been an update.

TurboFlash is exactly right, use a mirror and check your clutches. A buddy of mine had his Team primary cracking in the exact same spot. There is no doubt his would have ended up in his foot like the pics if he hadn't caught it. There has to be something faulty in some of these clutches. Ps he was not running a tune...bone stock, 1200 miles
they crack because they get to dam hor period

I think they're too thin down low on the movable. I don't have a stutter box or anti-lag. I trail ride. My clutch engagement is about 3000-3100. With this mellow engagement, the movable doesn't see a big shock when it engages. It's very low on the movable. So, it doesn't see allot of heat either. Barely above engagement and I don't drag race. I think the casting is too thin down there. Granted I have allot of HP (320) but I usually use that once I'm moving 20-30 MPH. I never do a full-throttle start from a dead stop. I am in contact with Arctic Cat as I think there is a problem. If you Google: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission – Recall Alert
Recall Date: June 6, 2017
Recall Number: 17-748

Arctic Cat Recalls Snowmobiles Due to Impact Hazard
(Recall Alert)

you can read more but it's pretty vague. I think they didn't want to alarm users so they toned down the alert.
what do you mean, and how hot do you think the crank gets? that area gets big heat, why do you think when you back up the sled and smell rubber, the belt melts, look at your clutch after a day of riding and check out the black down in that spot, that's from heat, just saying

what do you mean, and how hot do you think the crank gets? that area gets big heat, why do you think when you back up the sled and smell rubber, the belt melts, look at your clutch after a day of riding and check out the black down in that spot, that's from heat, just saying
more to be added here, come on guys, what grade of aluminum do you think these clutches are made of, crap period.

Discussion starter · #129 ·
Problem is on movable side, not stationery (crank) side. Yes, I know crank gets hot. If you feel movable side, it's not nearly as hot. I have an infrared belt temp gage on my sled. Average trail riding belt temp is around 140. I never see black marks you mention. My clutching must keep that from happening. I have 2 other buddies with Stage 3 TCats and they never see it either.

Problem is on movable side, not stationery (crank) side. Yes, I know crank gets hot. If you feel movable side, it's not nearly as hot. I have an infrared belt temp gage on my sled. Average trail riding belt temp is around 140. I never see black marks you mention. My clutching must keep that from happening. I have 2 other buddies with Stage 3 TCats and they never see it either.
I get no black skid marks on faces of either of my clutches. Stage 3 PEFI tune with ultimax xs827 belt fast trail riding and faces stay clean. Torsional conversion in secondary.

So just had this issue on a 2018 ZR9000. My vin is out of the recall #'s went for a ride and this happened. Should I reach out to Cat Customer Care before taking to dealer? Seem dangerous for this to happen. I could have lost a foot! Not to mention being saddle with the repairs for what is clearly a defective product!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #135 ·
Call Cat. Insist on sending pic. Get name of who you talk to.
How many miles? Stock or tuned?
Studded or not?
Then report to Consumer Product Safety Commission! Read OP for link and all of this thread. I am original poster.
Glad you weren't hurt. Cat has HUGE problem with Team clutches on turbos.

Discussion starter · #139 ·
Doubt it. The auto tension thing is not new. It’s been on atvs/sxs for a long time. It’s cheaply made clutches is the issue
Team primaries are too thin down by the center right where the belt engages. Over time, they heat check there and soon tiny cracks start to appear. Soon the tiny crack grows and gets longer. Boom! It's critical Tcat riders check the movable side of their Team primary often, as in after every ride. It's always movable side so dropping the side panel and looking doesn't work. Need a mirror and good light to be able to see movable side. Look down low by center roller bearing.

Team primaries are too thin down by the center right where the belt engages. Over time, they heat check there and soon tiny cracks start to appear. Soon the tiny crack grows and gets longer. Boom! It's critical Tcat riders check the movable side of their Team primary often, as in after every ride. It's always movable side so dropping the side panel and looking doesn't work. Need a mirror and good light to be able to see movable side. Look down low by center roller bearing.
yep. More metal = more cost.

121 - 140 of 299 Posts