Hardcore Sledder banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
For someone thats never done any work on a sled clutch, whats the best way to check if there's any cracks or issues? Can you see it just by looking, or does it have to come off?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
For someone thats never done any work on a sled clutch, whats the best way to check if there's any cracks or issues? Can you see it just by looking, or does it have to come off?
Take your belt off as , grab an inspection mirror and flash light.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
From my experiences, it's always the movable side that cracks. Therefore, you will not be able to see them by just lowering the side panel and looking because you are then looking at the stationery side. As TMB says, you will need a mirror and a light. Look at movable side down near the center bearing. Cracks always start near center bearing and radiate outward.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
From the fix the cracking issue side of things....seems like for the most part all they need to do is beef up the webbing in the low part of the sheeve and shorten the spider jam nut so the cover no longer bottoms out on it at shift out. With the spider nut lowered, they may need to add a bit of diameter to both sheeves to hold the belt if it ever gets that high. Shouldn't break the bank to have Team make those tweeks. The clutch otherwise works well and I like the rapid reaction concept.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Does anyone have a theory as to why this is happening? Heat from slippage? Stress from movable sheave bottoming out against the spider nut? Etc?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
From my experiences, it's always the movable side that cracks. Therefore, you will not be able to see them by just lowering the side panel and looking because you are then looking at the stationery side. As TMB says, you will need a mirror and a light. Look at movable side down near the center bearing. Cracks always start near center bearing and radiate outward.
You can feel them with your fingernail. The face should be smooth. Fingernail check is quick and easy. Verify visually if there is anything catching or rough.
As stated, they radiate outward. Do the check across that direction.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I've heard several theories. IMO, based on discussions with several professional racers, the Team primary is too thin down there. From repeated starting and stopping, creeping the sled forward, etc heat buildup in that thin area causes heat checking in the aluminum and tiny hairline cracks start to appear. First just on the surface but eventually they get deeper into face and then all the way through the face. If one doesn't notice, it will get bad enough to finally explode. Most experienced guys don't think it's from the movable bottoming on the spider nut. Check out pics I first posted of major carnage caused by clutch explosions.
Nothing we really can do to prevent it. Try not to stop and start. Try to keep sled in motion to avoid that part of clutch.
If you're lucky, you won't get hurt. If you're not, you could sustain injury to your foot or other body parts.
Attached is Consumer Product Safety Committee original document from back in 2017. Bad news is even when/if your clutch gets replaced, it will happen again as the design has not been changed. To me, it seems like it wouldn't take much to do a design tweak to eliminate this problem. It's really too bad this happens because other than this problem, the Team primary seems to do very well attached to the 998 engine. It seems to have long life and no wear.
I now carry a new replacement clutch in my tool box so if it happens while I'm on a trip, at least I can finish the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went and took my clutch off after reading through all the pages. I wanted to inspect for cracks and then send over to Thunder Products for a cover and balancing.
I don't see any cracks, but I do have a lip that I can catch with my nail. Would like to know if I should replace it, send and get 911 cover or just put it all back together and run it as is?
Pictures below. FYI- Clutch had about 3K miles with a 250+hp Excel tune.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have found the same lip and kept running the clutches. It honestly made me nervous and I checked them a lot. I run 800 motors, which is obviously a little different animal.
Good thing about the new cover is your ability to adjust belt to sheave clearance. Does Thunder also machine the sheave when they do their balancing?

·
Registered
20,357 Posts
I have found the same lip and kept running the clutches. It honestly made me nervous and I checked them a lot. I run 800 motors, which is obviously a little different animal.
Good thing about the new cover is your ability to adjust belt to sheave clearance. Does Thunder also machine the sheave when they do their balancing?
Thunder does not do any balancing/machining. It is out sourced.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I just checked with Terry at Thunder Clutching and they have bought the machinery and are doing all machining, balancing, etc in house and are working 7 days to get clutches out right now. Their current turnaround time is a week to a week and a half depending on parts needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thunder does not do any balancing/machining. It is out sourced.
I just checked with Terry at Thunder Clutching and they have bought the machinery and are doing all machining, balancing, etc in house and are working 7 days to get clutches out right now. Their current turnaround time is a week to a week and a half depending on parts needed.
This is Terry from Thunder Products Clutching. All machining, repair, blasting, replacement, de-glazing, assembly and balance is done in my shop at Thunder Products Clutching.

Right now, we are working 7 days a week....even worked through Thanksgiving. Problem is getting parts as we are going thru parts at an incredible pace and trying to get everyone their clutches back before the snow comes. Approximately 20 clutches in process right now.

Thunder received mine on Monday. Hope to get it back next week!
john928 - Yours is a pretty quick job and will be worked on very soon

Thanks to everyone who has chosen Thunder Products Clutching to work on their clutches! :)

·
Registered
20,357 Posts
The must have just got it. C&H marine In the soo was doing it for them

·
Registered
2019 xf9000 cc limited
117 Posts
Anybody know if yamaha is having issues with there sleds same motor but yammy clutching . Maybe that's the way to go for a fix as it seems cat is just replacing garbage with garbage till warranty is over then they have you over the barrel to buy going forward . New to these turbos with a 2019 xf9 cc going to check mine this morning . Never had these issues with 8,s

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Anybody know if yamaha is having issues with there sleds same motor but yammy clutching . Maybe that's the way to go for a fix as it seems cat is just replacing garbage with garbage till warranty is over then they have you over the barrel to buy going forward . New to these turbos with a 2019 xf9 cc going to check mine this morning . Never had these issues with 8,s
Short answer is YES. Very substantial issues with stock Sidewinder primaries. Check out the Totally Yamaha Forum or read Yamaha forum here on HCS. Rollers fail all the time, clutch binds when it shifts, etc, etc. Many report rollers fail in only 300-500 miles. Lots of aftermarket companies selling lots of Sidewinder clutch parts to try to find an answer. Many say there is no solution except to replace stock primary with Tapp or STM or Pro-4. Also, some are using RX-1 or Apex primaries and say there are much better.

·
Registered
2019 xf9000 cc limited
117 Posts
Well little pissed 3000 km on my 19 xf9 cc bone stock and I found a crack. Looked up tapp pricing here in Canada 2000.00 ouch Do I just ride it or replace , don't no what I should do . Will it blow if just trail riding

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Once crack(s) start, they will continue to grow longer and longer eventually causing catastrophic failure. Not safe to continue to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well little pissed 3000 km on my 19 xf9 cc bone stock and I found a crack. Looked up tapp pricing here in Canada 2000.00 ouch Do I just ride it or replace , don't no what I should do . Will it blow if just trail riding
bring it to your dealer, my buddy just got warranty on his clutch its a 2019 tcat out of warranty with about 3500 miles. i cracked mine last year and arctic cat replaced it 2018 tcat I was also out of warranty. if the dealer isn't getting you warranty, call cat they will come good for it

101 - 120 of 131 Posts