Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 299 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Recall was for ALL 2017 ZR9000/TCats plus some 2018s.
Recall number is 17-748 (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Arctic-Cat-Recalls-Snowmobiles-Recall-Alert

Model Year

Model

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Artic Cat 9000 Turbo

All VINs

Artic Cat 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000

Within range of 100001 through 102133 or 808003 through 808241

I'm all for Cat stepping up and making this right if its an issue. Problem is, with the plethora of tunes making stupid power how can we expect Cat to do anything? Is this a manufacturing issue? Design issue? Units being pushed beyond their tolerances due to aftermarket performance products?

Recall was for ALL 2017 ZR9000/TCats plus some 2018s.
Recall number is 17-748 (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Arctic-Cat-Recalls-Snowmobiles-Recall-Alert

Model Year

Model

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Artic Cat 9000 Turbo

All VINs

Artic Cat 6000, 7000, 8000 and 9000

Within range of 100001 through 102133 or 808003 through 808241
Thanks for the info. My vin doesn’t fall within the range so mine is not included in the recall. Gonna call them any way and see if they will do something. Still going to look into a TAPP or pro 4. Don’t think I trust these cast clutches for high hp tunes

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Just FYI - sounds like this recall is going to extended. We'll stay tuned and keep checking. However, I don't want "just another Team clutch" just like the one I already have to replace my cracked one! I want a re-designed, better, improved clutch that won't crack! Otherwise, if they just give me one that is identical the cracked one I have, what good does that do?

I can't remember if anyone reporting cracks is still stock. If the cracks are developing on stock arctic cats, no tune, no clutch mods, all stock. Then it's cat's issue and a team issue. But if these are all modified machines, then cat has no stock in this failure. I feel a modified machine should be fully modified, not have a tune and stuff thrown at the stock crap. If stock horsepower is 210, and you modify it to be 300, or lets get crazy, 800hp. Why would you not look at drive components and upgrade them too? Makes no sense to me.

I can't remember if anyone reporting cracks is still stock. If the cracks are developing on stock arctic cats, no tune, no clutch mods, all stock. Then it's cat's issue and a team issue. But if these are all modified machines, then cat has no stock in this failure. I feel a modified machine should be fully modified, not have a tune and stuff thrown at the stock crap. If stock horsepower is 210, and you modify it to be 300, or lets get crazy, 800hp. Why would you not look at drive components and upgrade them too? Makes no sense to me.

Maybe because in the history of the world speeding your sled up a bit did not cause your foot to be blown off! None of this shit happened on 1100's with a tune. Now that the clutches have been changed to Team there is an issue.

Maybe because in the history of the world speeding your sled up a bit did not cause your foot to be blown off! None of this shit happened on 1100's with a tune. Now that the clutches have been changed to Team there is an issue.
I am pretty sure the 1100's had clutches cracking also. Probably exploded too. My 1100 came with cracks in the clutch, but I removed and replaced it before it exploded.
Bottom line is, if you upgrade components, you do it all, or you wear steel toed boots and take your chances.

Another thing to keep in mind, when you go out and jump in your car, you are actually supposed to do a walk around and check lights and such. Does anyone actually do it? Apply that thinking to your high performance 400hp sled. Maybe you should be looking it over after every ride? Or, you can not bother and lose a foot.

Basically what I am hearing you say is, that because a previous design clutch outperformed it's stock environment, you expect everything to be like that. Sometimes components outperform, then there are the others.

I am bone stock and will check mine later this week. I've got ~ 1,200 miles on it and just lost my first belt. Strange how it went too, was quick on/off the throttle going from 60-80mph and it popped.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Just FYI - I called Team about a month ago just trying to get someone to talk to about this. The guy I spoke with said they are a precision machine shop machining the clutch parts to the exact specs Arctic Cat sends them. They do not engineer the clutch in any way. So, assuming he's right (and I think he is cuz I know Team Industries (their main plant is about 30 miles from me)), the blame is on Arctic Cat engineering just like so many other shortcomings of this ProCross chassis (track shaft spinning in bearing, chain tensioner roller screws coming out, etc, etc).

Just FYI - I called Team about a month ago just trying to get someone to talk to about this. The guy I spoke with said they are a precision machine shop machining the clutch parts to the exact specs Arctic Cat sends them. They do not engineer the clutch in any way. So, assuming he's right (and I think he is cuz I know Team Industries (their main plant is about 30 miles from me)), the blame is on Arctic Cat engineering just like so many other shortcomings of this ProCross chassis (track shaft spinning in bearing, chain tensioner roller screws coming out, etc, etc).

I find it hard to believe that Team has no input or influence on the design at all given they produce and market their own products in addition to allowing their name to be used as a selling point on these units. So any company can come in, design a poor CVT, and Team will gladly slap their name on it no questions asked!? Doubt it.

With the 800's running less HP, why are they destroying them?
Wow, I'm glad I don't use them clutches, a 07f1000 with no problems in over 10k miles, a 09f1000 with no problems in over 10k miles, 30k miles on my 2012 800 but have lost a couple because of bad rollers but that's it, my brother's 2014 800 still on stock clutch on at over 10k miles and still is good, plain and simple the newer ones are scrap metal.

I find it hard to believe that Team has no input or influence on the design at all given they produce and market their own products in addition to allowing their name to be used as a selling point on these units. So any company can come in, design a poor CVT, and Team will gladly slap their name on it no questions asked!? Doubt it.
companies do what cat wants all the time, cats bullshit single ply track on a 09 f1000 was a joke because it only lasted 2500 miles, it was cats idea to make the sled faster with a light weight track, sorry cat! The sled was faster with a 1.25 ripsaw. I talked to the company that made them for cat and they said it was what cat wanted made, cat was told they weren't good enough for that sled but they didn't listen.

companies do what cat wants all the time, cats bullshit single ply track on a 09 f1000 was a joke because it only lasted 2500 miles, it was cats idea to make the sled faster with a light weight track, sorry cat! The sled was faster with a 1.25 ripsaw. I talked to the company that made them for cat and they said it was what cat wanted made, cat was told they weren't good enough for that sled but they didn't listen.

Single ply tracks are still in use by OEMs today. They are lighter but obviously less durable, but that doesn't make them a flawed product design like we are referring to here with these primaries.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Actually, what is going on with that cover failure is this. This quote is from Mike Knapp over on the TY Forum. If you look at a brand new Team clutch for a 998, when it is all the way together, there is about .055-.060" between the movable and stationery sheaves.

"The TEAM has another flaw, the use the wimpy cover to limit the sheave travel rather than let the two sheaves do the limiting. The stock cover can't take that abuse and breaks taking the movable with it in the process when it blows."

41 - 60 of 299 Posts