Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of us with Team primary clutches should make sure to do close (VERY close) inspection of movable side of clutch. I had my Team clutch replaced under warranty (recall) in 2017. However, 2 weeks ago when I was just inspecting it, I used a mirror to look closely at the movable side and behold, it was cracked in several places. AND, I've seen a few other Team clutches with same kinds of cracks. (This is a '17 ZR9000 Ltd that ran 2 years with a 280HP tune (PEFI) and this year their 320 tune. I have 2 close buddies with '17 TCats w 280 tunes and their clutches are NOT cracked (yet). The first few pics are my cracked Team clutch (taken w a mirror so we can see the movable side) and the last two are of a guy who had his 2020 TCat with 290HP TD tune blow up his primary Team clutch. Take note and inspect your primary clutch. Looks like it hurt bad!!

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason, the pics reversed. First ones are exploded clutch and the ones following were mine. I caught mine before catastrophic failure and put a new one on. IF it happens again, my next clutch will be Tapp or STM. Cannot risk this kind of failure.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
spider broke?
Wonder what the story is behind that clutch
Anything can fail but I wonder if it was shimmed and or a weight failed to start that explosion

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, check pic closely. Spider is all there. The movable sheave exploded. It probably started just like the pics show for my clutch. Once the cracks get long enough, kaBOOM!
The spider is 316 stainless steel so it's not gonna blow up. Movable blew up. Something going on with Team clutch. I've seen about 4-5 other pics of guys who noticed their Team movable was cracked.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
I saw a 2016 snap a spider on a team
Weight failure
I’ve seen cracks like that on high mileage ones
Heat
Lots of it
Usually a story behind the issue
Good to check
No matter what clutch

17 recall had to do with bearing on shaft
I had 4 sleds that had them lock up prior to recall within first 400 miles
Not a huge fan but what they come with

·
Registered
13 Posts
TurboFlash is exactly right, use a mirror and check your clutches. A buddy of mine had his Team primary cracking in the exact same spot. There is no doubt his would have ended up in his foot like the pics if he hadn't caught it. There has to be something faulty in some of these clutches. Ps he was not running a tune...bone stock, 1200 miles

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they're too thin down low on the movable. I don't have a stutter box or anti-lag. I trail ride. My clutch engagement is about 3000-3100. With this mellow engagement, the movable doesn't see a big shock when it engages. It's very low on the movable. So, it doesn't see allot of heat either. Barely above engagement and I don't drag race. I think the casting is too thin down there. Granted I have allot of HP (320) but I usually use that once I'm moving 20-30 MPH. I never do a full-throttle start from a dead stop. I am in contact with Arctic Cat as I think there is a problem. If you Google: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission – Recall Alert
Recall Date: June 6, 2017
Recall Number: 17-748

Arctic Cat Recalls Snowmobiles Due to Impact Hazard
(Recall Alert)

you can read more but it's pretty vague. I think they didn't want to alarm users so they toned down the alert.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your troubles!!! Hope you get them all resolved. I was very fortunate with my Team clutching. Knock on wood. Never had any issues. However I've recently upgraded to a Tapp primary and Pro4 secondary combo. If it's in the budget I highly recommend. Really woke the sled up. I personally think the team clutches work great on a stock machine however when you start adding power that reflashing provides their reliability will be short lived.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A friend of mine last weekend totally stock 2018 ZR9000 rr with 2000 miles shattered his clutch. It took out his secondary, front a-arms and belly pan. It is very lucky he did not get hurt. Cat is coming good for all the parts but someone is going to get seriously hurt with these clutches. I personally am on the third one and so is my buddy we both have 2017 TCATS.

Inspect your team primary clutch, it is junk.

·
Premium Member
39,088 Posts
I have sawed in half many clutches which had those cracks at the smaller diameter area, every clutch of all brands that I sawed are plenty thick at the low end where the crack starts and at the outer edge (largest diameter), BUT they are very thin in the center, when the crack reaches closer to the center of the clutch they may explode.:cry:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Someone is going to get hurt, in my opinion this is very serious problem. Cat knows about the problem so they recall potential cracked clutches with clutches that are still cracking.

We serviced my buddy clutch at the beginning of the season with no cracks, 500 miles later in blew apart.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to get hurt? Did you look at my friends foot in the 1st post? It fractured several bones in his foot and took quite a few stitches to piece it back together. What if a piece flies through hood and hits you in the face? It could go right through your face shield.

·
Premium Member
39,088 Posts
I went to CNC machined Billet aluminum clutches on my Drag Sleds, never had any problems with those..highly recommended to save your foot and perhaps your life.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
A friend of mine last weekend totally stock 2018 ZR9000 rr with 2000 miles shattered his clutch. It took out his secondary, front a-arms and belly pan. It is very lucky he did not get hurt. Cat is coming good for all the parts but someone is going to get seriously hurt with these clutches. I personally am on the third one and so is my buddy we both have 2017 TCATS.

Inspect your team primary clutch, it is junk.
All three had cracks? Hw many miles on your 17, that sucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
replaced our original clutches which were ok, we both cracked our replacement clutches and recieved new warranty ones and finished the season with them. Sent our clutches to Ron Ward do to his thing and he noticed that my my buddies clutch was cracked again so he go warranty for a second time.

So yes 2 2017 thundercat 7 clutches lol, and we bought a spare one on ebay just in case.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm on my third one now also. Just got the recall one last month, second one cracked also.
Tapp the first time I have to buy one myself tho.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts