Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a 2006 ZR 900. It has been a while since I have owned an Arctic Cat. I currently ride a Polaris, but I will be switching to Arctic Cat.
I have ridden an 04 ZR 900 and was very impressed. I have heard that the 900s have problems with top speed vibration on the floor boards, due to the DD. I also heard that belts do squeal and blow apart at top speeds. What is the top speed on a 05 900? How is the suspension and handling on the 05's? What about gas consumption? Should I buy a sno-pro I weight 160lbs? Sorry for all the questions, but any info would be great.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Originally posted by rever900@Oct 4 2005, 08:16 PM
I am currently in the market for a 2006 ZR 900. It has been a while since I have owned an Arctic Cat. I currently ride a Polaris, but I will be switching to Arctic Cat.
I have ridden an 04 ZR 900 and was very impressed. I have heard that the 900s have problems with top speed vibration on the floor boards, due to the DD. I also heard that belts do squeal and blow apart at top speeds. What is the top speed on a 05 900? How is the suspension and handling on the 05's? What about gas consumption? Should I buy a sno-pro I weight 160lbs? Sorry for all the questions, but any info would be great.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908755
[/quote]
The 06 should be the best 900 to date.I wouldn't worry about the DD.Figure about 10mpg and if you ride fast on rough trails or like jumping go w/snopro.The track lug is much more aggressive also for off trail riding.Wicked holeshot!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by rever900@Oct 4 2005, 08:16 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=908755
[/quote]

I have an 05EFISP. I never noticed any harsh vibration except at idle. In 2300 miles I have not changed a belt and never heard it squeal. Best top speed I have seen is 115 speedo, only once and on perfect conditions. Normally tops out at around 110 on speedo. I average 10-12 mpg depending on conditions and the level of beatment I give it. If you ride aggressively the SP is the way to go even for your wieght. I am about 215 and almost never bottom out. However, when I was 180 (less curly fries and single) I had a ZR 800 standard and bottomed it out all the time.

Houlton Cat posted in the ZR forum a couple days ago and had some great deals on left overs, I'd check those out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Zr 900 are great sleds difference between 05 and 06 is graphics and secondary clutch. if you get an 05 change to the o6 sheeves for $170 and you will have basically the same thing. I definetly perfer the sno pro. As for vibration, I never felt it in mine. The belt squeal, I think is due to my engine moving due to the torque. Mine squeals once in a great wile but usually goes away. How ever I have heard one do it really bad but I think the guy had his belt deflection too tight. Hope this helps

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great info. I have decided to go with the 06 zr900 sno pro. I will keep you informed. Can anybody recommend any good Cat dealers in Toronto. I know there is Leader Pools, Warp 9, and Dryland in my area. Any info on the service at these dealers would help. :div20:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZR656, I know you recommended the Sno-pro over the standard. Do you ever have problems with the larger track eating sliders? I have heard that with the larger track you need more snow, or the sliders tend to over heat and stick. The dealer mentioned to me that riding on the lakes for long period of times could cause this. Will I get better handling with the larger track? I know that it will be better on the trails when they haven't been groomed for a couple of days,

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,328 Posts
I had that 1-3/8" track on my 03 F7 and I was surprised that I had very little hyfax wear.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The ZR900 will probably go down in history as one of Cats best all time sleds.

The 03s were awesome. The 04s were great but had some top speed issues. I think that the 06 will be on par or better than the 03s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts