Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without having owned either, I'm wondering what all of you think about both machines. What kind of riding is each suited for...why pick one over the other, etc? I realize most of you have Firecats but why did you choose the Firecat or why would someone choose the ZR? Thanks for helping me understand the differences.

I'm moving to a rural area of Alaska where the nearest road is 150 miles from my village. All warranty work is a long ways off and we have to be fairly self dependent. The only way to get a sled out is by barge that comes twice a year...June and August. There are a lot of trails but there is no such thing as groomed trails...lots of trees, no mountains, lots of lake and river running in the winter. We get a fair amount of snow but nothing like the coastal areas...this is just above the Arctic Circle and it gets too cold to snow sometimes. I could go on and on but my question is...

Which sled works for me and why?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
hmmm, unless your a mechanic i cant honestly say either, thats just to extreme. Either way the zr 900 is a lake racer, fast, great handling but heavier ( 520 pounds ) but tried and proven...... i want one ;)

the f7 is like a all around all star, good gas and oil milage, great jumping, climbing, trails ( once set up ) - new with a few bugs..... well for some machines ;)

in my opinion and from what i read - depends on what you want

zr 900 is a sweet as monster sled that i bet hits 122 mph
f7 is a awesome, agile lighter sled with only 10 less horse power - 105 - 115 mph......

efi is all i can say and gods speed..... given those circumstances i dont know if i would buy a cat, i love mine and its trouble free... but some arent as lucky

from what i saw and read the zr is more proven.....

so if it gotta be cat id get the 900

if not get a yamaha hehehehe

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost bought a RX1 but backed away at the last. I like Yamaha products (own 2 grizzlies) but I'm looking for something interesting to ride. There's not much to do out there during the winter so you might as well look forward to getting on the sled. Utility sleds are more predictable, easier to maintain, etc. but very boring. I got a good deal on an '01 Summit 600 144" and I'm looking for something to go along with that.

I guess I'm wondering which one is more proven (I think I know the answer) but I'm really curious to hear what everyone thinks.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The Zr platform has had a proven record for some time now. It is a great all around sled. If you can ride, there is NO sled that will be a threat to you on the trail period. The fire cats need to get the bugs worked out of them. Cat has to listen to all the owners , and fix the problems that the unluckey ones are dealing with.To me the Zr offers peice of mind. It will be a while before the firecat can live up to that claim.
Just my opinion Jim !

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had a F7. traided for ZR9, The F7 has its place, BUT the ZR nine rules the lakes, handles like a dream, awasome power, shocks need revalveing, very soft for my style, but so is the F7 standard and sno-pro, way to soft. Both are great sleds can go wrong on either one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by scrapper@Mar 1 2003, 10:30 AM
shocks need revalveing, very soft for my style, but so is the F7 standard and sno-pro, way to soft.  
I find it interesting that the shocks on all of them are too soft. By your style, do you mean you are very agressive...heavier weight than average...all of the above? Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own both an 03 F-7 and ZR900, and this is the 3rd ZR I have purchased in three years. Both are great sleds, but the F-7 has been back to the dealer on 3 occasions for updates, while the ZR's have never given me a bit of grief. The ZR chassis is more stable in turns, but the F-7 seems to soak up deep moguls better. Both sleds have ample power, and both have started well on cold mornings (down to -28F.). Because of your remote location, I would give the nod to the ZR. Arctic Cat will need at least another year to get all of the issues involving the F-7 worked out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very helpful ARCTICBRAT. It's nice to hear from someone who has both. I welcome any more comments here or privately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts