Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we have a handful of ZR900 guys on here already. If it weren't for that F word ;) , every Cat guy would be talking about the ZR9s. Let's hear what you think about them. I know you guys didn't buy them for slow touring, how are they performing? Any insurance problems? Marc

PS. ZR9 in Black has to be one of the nicest looking sleds ever produced!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I got to try out someone's new ZR 9 on the trail this past weekend. The power is soooo impressive, and better yet it ran really nice, handled great, not tippy. Sorry, but on the ZR I didn't have to lean, didn't have to relearn to drive, didn't have to sit on the gas tank, and didn't have to worry about the sled crapping out while driving someone else's sled. Long live the ZR! mike

·
Registered
978 Posts
i might stick with the zr for next year... or mabe an F7, but i needa ride one....

my zr6 rips(eats most 7's and a few 8's), and my dad's 800 wit (only) 120 studs, a can and a clutch kit lined up to a zr9 last year and lemme tell u they were close for about 100 feet and then the 900 took right off from the 8 and beat him down the 1 mile (back lake nh, mabe more...) track by at least 4 or 5 sled lengths :rolleyes:

·
Registered
956 Posts
This thing is fast it will walk all over my 2001 t cat in 1000 feet. will be going north this week with a rx 1, f7, and viper with pipes. I will let you guys know more when i get back next week.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
This past week-end we were doing 1 mile runs here in Manitoba....my Zr900 was the fastest sled across the lake....there was a 99 T-cat, RX1, REV8, ZR800eficc, 03 Viper and a F7....the F7 and Rev were getting me to 660ft....but by 1000 I was opening up a lead on the Rev8....and somewhere between 1000 and 2000 ft I was passing the F7.....at the end of the mile the only thing close was the RX1.....this 900's midrange punch is WICKED :D Track

·
Registered
154 Posts
Trackside where you doing both standing and rolling starts? any advantage at either rolling or standing
for the 900. Thanks Larry

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hello all,
Have a 9 with a BMR SuperSingle and clutched, 220 miles and I love it. Last year, had a ZRT 800 make a run on me about 70-80 mph, I squeezed trigger and no more ZRT. It was my buddy, he now has a 900. I personally do not like the F's. I rode one and the narrow track gave me a problem. Maybe my riding style but I didn't like it.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I have an 03 Zr900 with v-force3 reeds and spacers,custom clutch kit, gears, guted air box, speedwerx single pipe and silencer all ceramic coated. The 900 has 240 1.375 woodys gold digger studs with alum backers. The suspension also has been changed a little for better dig from the start. :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by FIRECAT SPANKER@Dec 10 2002, 08:06 PM
I have an 03 Zr900 with v-force3 reeds and spacers,custom clutch kit, gears, guted air box, speedwerx single pipe and silencer all ceramic coated. The 900 has 240 1.375 woodys gold digger studs with alum backers. The suspension also has been changed a little for better dig from the start. :D
Wow, your last post said your 900 was mod a little...now that was an understatement :lol:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
the sad thing is that my firecat will beat you firecat spanker. your brother told me that you guys were dead even when you raced and as soon as my speedwerx pipe and clutch kit comes in form my f7 you are done for and I spent about a grand less than you . must make you pretty upset hugh. should have bought a firecat. B)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
8 tenths of a mile runs.....good snow base on sheltered bay....Duck Mts Manitoba

660 Feet
F7
Rev8
ZR9
ZR8
RX1

The 900 is close at 660 and between that and 1000ft it is past the REV8.....by 1000 to 2000ft the 900 has passed the F7
The Zr800 also runs down the Rev in the first 1000
RX1 loses the race in trhe first 1000 ft.....after that it passes everything but the 900

After 1 mile
ZR900
RX1
ZR800efi
F7
Rev8

This was on AVERAGE after 50-60 races....sometimes it took the 900 3/4 of a mile to pass the F7 if it got a big jump out of the hole....

GPS runs:
ZR9 108 mph
RX1 107 mph
ZR8 104 mph
F7 101 mph
Rev8 ????

The Rev and f7 are very quick to 660 with the f7 having more on top....the ZR8efi is a rock solid performer...always in the hunt...ZR9 and the RX1 have long legs....the midrange punch of the 900 is wicked

All sleds equiped with 1.25 tracks....F7 1.375

This is what we saw on this lake at this time.....too many forum users present at this location to fudge the truth....so there it is..

One more thing....30mph rolling starts.....ZR900....with the Yami very close.....60mph rolling starts....900 and RX1.....dead even!!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
AC900.....rolling starts are definately to the 900's advantage....at 30 mph it jumps out ahead of the pack and stays there.....(pack being sleds listed in my above post)...... from a standstill, the REV8 and F7 were getting me to 660....

now vrs the RX1 its better to nail it at a 30mph roll.... the Zr has way more jump at that speed....BUT rolling at 60mph...they (ZR, RX1)pulled dead even right to 107-108 range.

The Zr was pullin way better later in the day....once it burnt the pre-mix out...as you can see I babied her, through the first tank...... NOT :lol:

Every sled listed had 9854 camoplasts on them....I had the stock 1.25 Arctic Cat track which I do not believe hooks as well as the finger type 9854

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by tracksidedown@Dec 11 2002, 12:35 AM
8 tenths of a mile runs.....good snow base on sheltered bay....Duck Mts Manitoba

660 Feet
F7
Rev8
ZR9
ZR8
RX1

The 900 is close at 660 and between that and 1000ft it is past the REV8.....by 1000 to 2000ft the 900 has passed the F7
The Zr800 also runs down the Rev in the first 1000
RX1 loses the race in trhe first 1000 ft.....after that it passes everything but the 900

After 1 mile
ZR900
RX1
ZR800efi
F7
Rev8

This was on AVERAGE after 50-60 races....sometimes it took the 900 3/4 of a mile to pass the F7 if it got a big jump out of the hole....

GPS runs:
ZR9 108 mph
RX1 107 mph
ZR8 104 mph
F7 101 mph
Rev8 ????

The Rev and f7 are very quick to 660 with the f7 having more on top....the ZR8efi is a rock solid performer...always in the hunt...ZR9 and the RX1 have long legs....the midrange punch of the 900 is wicked

All sleds equiped with 1.25 tracks....F7 1.375

This is what we saw on this lake at this time.....too many forum users present at this location to fudge the truth....so there it is..

One more thing....30mph rolling starts.....ZR900....with the Yami very close.....60mph rolling starts....900 and RX1.....dead even!!!
Glad to see this report for a couple of reasons...

1. It makes perfect sense...The ZR800 doesn't get enough respect and you fixed that from start to finish...my buddy's is neck and neck with my F7 and to hear you say it was always right there makes me happy...I traded in my 02 ZR 800EFI for my Firecat and the jury is still out on whether or not I should have.

2. The 900 is a beast...I wish it had EFI...I would own one as I type.

3. The RX 1 gets a lot of sh*t too...but, like the ZR 800...it's a very hot contender...and when you went faster on the rolling starts it was right there with the 900...when all the weight gets moving...watch out right. :blink:

4. The REV is nothing special unless you really like the ride and I can't see an Arctic Cat rider switching when you have the Firecat or ZR chasis to choose from.

Have a great winter and great luck with the ZR 900. :D

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Oh, one more thing...you can ride the ZR like you stole it right out of the crate...as opposed to the Firecat which you'll send right back into the crate if you do that. :p

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Boss...I call it like I see it....and thats what I saw....I planned on breaking the 900 in at least alittle gently....BUT...man I just HAD to get on the throttle :rolleyes: The F7 was also on pre-mix....he stated that if she was gonna blow he wanted it to happen sooner than later....held together just fine...we just kept checking the rear coolers for circulation....Have a date with a ProX800 this week-end....let you guys know how things shake out....when you can let off at 80mph and then get back on the gas and your head rocks back.....THATS JUST PLAIN FUN!!!!! Ride Safe

Track

·
Super Moderator
5,655 Posts
Don't worry about the prox if it isn't set up. They made some changes and messed up a great sled. my buddies 02 kills his 03 handily. He took it back and they can't find anything wrong. They dynoed it with only 125 with stock jets and 128 jetted down. His 02 pulled 137 heatsoaked. The 02 will give a good run though. My 02 800zr passes him at 750' and pulls away by 4-5 lengths by 1000'. The 800s don't get enough respect. That 900 is a flat out stump puller. set up right they can play with the big dogs. Enjoy.

Jester :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts