Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you ZR8/ZR9 guys running for studs and wearbar combos? and how are those combos working?

I have 144 1.075 Gold Diggers I am about to install down the middle only (192 pattern less the outer belts)..1 inch track. I am trying to get some 7.5in Shaper bars to match, but they tough to come by right now...Marc

·
Registered
154 Posts
running 192 1.175 gold giggers using the AC. stud template but only every other one on the out side belt, and 144 down the middle in a 4 then two per bar pattern if this makes sense to you. used fac.4" bars last year but will be using 6" shaper bars this year

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
144 1.08" Woody's down the middle using the Double-Digger pattern.
Stock carbide but may go to 6" Woody's this year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been debating back and fourth between 144 and 192. I think I'm gonna stick with 144 in the 192 pattern, leaving out every other one on the outside. My dealer says I just have to use common sense in low snow conditions so as to not pull any out! Does anyone else have a problem with the 900 pulling studs out with only 144?

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
I ran all of last season without studs but have 144 Woody's ( 1.325 Gold Diggers) for my 1.25 track with 8" carbides ready to install. I'll be using the 192 pattern with none in the outter belts for 144 down the center.
ZR-800/02
Rick.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm running 144 Woody's 1.175 with 8" Bottom Line Agressors up front. Studs on every other lug on outside belt. This set-up worked well late last year, Planning to add Stud Boy shapers this year if I can find them. Make sure that you do not put studs in the outer belt where the lugs in the track do not allow the backer plate to fully seat.

·
Super Moderator
5,655 Posts
I'm running 192 Fast trac stainless 1.175. I'm using the polymer backers. Hookup is excellent and the durability has been very good in 1000 miles. None bent and no pull throughs. Love the 800 torque and less studs can be a problem for the track if you are aggressive. :) :)

Jester

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm running 192 1.25 roetins all down the center. Not much room to keep from repeating but you can do it but you have to make your own template, just b sure to stay away from the slides.
Running factory wearbars but thinking of switching to get better handling, hooks great with the studs just need a little more control turning

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised that you guys that ran 144+ studs and 4 inch bars didn't push through every corner. Didn't you have problems with that? Marc

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm still torn. A freind that has a Polaris 700 with 144 just had one tear out and go through the heat exchanger. I'd cry if that happened on my new sled! :(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
ZR800CCE. Ran last year unstudded with the stock 4" carbide runners which were inadequate (understeer). I've installed 144 Woody's 1.325 Golddiggers through 72 Sabre angled plastic double backers for the added support and upgraded to 8"-60 degree carbide runners.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
144 carbide tiped studboys...still spinning.I may try 168 or 192 or try a shallower helix.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by greensaysitall@Jan 1 2003, 01:59 PM
is there any advantage to running 144 down the middle verses 192 in the center and on the sides?

how are those shaper bars working?
You do lose traction both at holeshot and cornering with 144 compared to 192. However, the greatly increase your chance of track damage (outer belt rip) with the 192. Some guys swear by 144, others like more...it all depends on riding style and what you are looking for from studs. I mostly stud for safety (stopping and corning), so I take the safer approach. But I do have to be mindful of track spin in marginal conditions.

As for the Shaper bars, I really love them. I studded and added the 7.5in Shapers at the same time, so I added two variables at the same time. My combination really handles well on hard pack trails...incredible in fact. I also push less through sloppy corners with the Shapers and studs than I did with no studs and stock bars. All and all, I am very pleased with my combo...Marc

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's my 2 cents!

I have a early release ZR 900 with 1000 miles on it. I run 128, 1.075" Woody's and 6" of runner. I ended up with a 2, 2, 4 pattern. ( 4 on the closed window of the track ).

I think this thing will spin any number of studs you can put in it! I didn't want the extra weight of another 75 studs in my track. I only weigh 150 lbs and it will corner harder than I can lean now anyway.

I've run against lots of sleds and never been disapointed with the hole shot. Win some lose some, 99% of the time, chase them down before it's over. I think the lug height has more say in the hole shot on some snow.

ZR 900

1 - 20 of 21 Posts