Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one else having problems with studs flying out of the deep lug track on the CC models? Got into the heat exchanger with this one. I don t think it went deep enough to cause a leak. Thinking of going to a shorter lug track or just running stock track with no picks. How well do the stock tracks hook up with no picks? Thanks..............wannaride

·
Registered
400 Posts
I originally ran the stock 1" track with 192 1.40" studs, but switched to a 1.375" lug and no studs. I like it SO much better. Sure I don't get the holeshots I used to but it's less weight and less to worry about. No chance of anything puncturing a heat exchanger on my sled. You could even go with a 1.5" lug, and according to Bruce @ TracksUSA, a 1.6" (but you wouldn't want to stud either of them). The stock 1" lug track without studs will definitely suck.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, my CC edition has a stock 1.375 or right around that anyway. And having to run such a tall stud, they flex too much and are ripping right out of the track. This will be the first year in a long long time for me to ride an un studded sled. Hopefully I can adjust. Thanks.............wannaride

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm not sure what track you have, but the 02 800 cross country came with an 1.25 track. I have 3000 miles with 1.325 woody's, 144 up the middle and everything looks good. Bent a bunch, but no pull throughs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.25 sounds right, same here 144 up the middle, but I have about 4 or 5 pull through. Really dont want to mess up the heat exchanger so I guess Ill tke them out. Man that bites! Cause it really hooks up the way it is. Just now starting to get ready for winter, and this is a tough decision. The dealer already had them in when I bought the sled new, so to be honest Im really not sure what kind they are, I sure wish they would have bent instead of rip out. maybe Ill pull them out and try woody's assuming they are not woody's already.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Maybe they are the 7mm and not the 5/16th with a bigger head. My zr is ridden pretty hard, and the track still looks good. Good luck. ZR8RIDER

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got 1.425 or w/e in my zr cce i only got 96 but they have never given me a problem. I dont have any under my heat exchanger though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 800 cce with stock 1.25 track running 1.325 megabites, 144 down the middle never gave me any problems til approx 4500 miles then they started throwing them out, not pulled thru, the stud and the backer leaving a perfect hole the size of the backer. the track looks fine except the holes but after getting the heat exchanger welded I took the studs out. It would be nice if you could replace the heat exchanger without tearing the whole sled apart. I cant believe I'm going to try and ride without studs this year, may still have to do the 136 conversion with a ripsaw.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
1.25" CCE track
144 X 1.325" Woody's Golddiggers with 72 Saber plastic angled backers all down the centre.
4400 miles and all is well except one cracked backer likely caused by slightly tight whole spacing for those two studs.

All in all a happy story. :banana:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone running the 1" tracks with studs? Wondering how well they hook up. I really dont want to ride without studs this year, looking for an alternative. THanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use 144 1.40 redtail stainless down the center of my stock 1.25 track. I am using the round xl plastic backers from fastrac and have had zero bends or pull throughs in over 2000 miles of hard riding. i think the round XL backers are the key! try it it works very well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a zr 800 cc and took off the stock 1.25 track, to heavy for top end stuff. Running a 1 incher with 196 studs, for two years now, great hole shots, and studs are still in great shape, you wont be dissapointed by doing this, this is the way to go, 192 I mean, put that many in too, and youll hook like crazy. I personally like the red tail studs, good guarantees, youll like them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This stud issue sounds familiar. I had 96 Woody's up the middle and she started throwing studs. I kept losing a one here and there. Was up to about 4-5 missing then instead of being smart and changing the track out I waited too long and a stud went through the heat exchanger almost causing a heat seize..... The stock track is a POS with studs in it! Get a ripsaw if you want a 1.25" or go with a 1 " IMHO. :banghead:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts