Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have any done up ZR700's I'm just curious what everyone else is doing.
Mine is a 99 Black Magic Mono head, DD twin pipes, DD Helix, EPI primary, DD weights. DD secondary
Engages at 4700 Tops at 8100
Gears Stock

Jets 360 mains, 2clip needle.
DD power breather.
Overloader rearspring adjuster

Just having fun palying with it right now we really need SNOW!!! :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Like you ZR Joe,

I have a ZR 700 and it is stock with a long track on it. I am curious what I can do to make it better. The dealer says most of the money you put into it, won't give you much of a return.

I would like to find out different.

Anybody tricked out the ZR 700 and made it one bad sled?????????

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For my money, the best thing I did was to Clutch mine. The stock setup was REALLY soft.
The pipes were great too. But expensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Guys, Great site so far, good topics too.....

Im glad to see some people are still riding the ZR7.

My ZR7 is a 2000. Started out with her stock, then added some studs (144) and a BM Clutch Kit. The clutch kit really seemed to help with accleration and seemed to keep the engine right on the power band for good response.

This year I have added some Black Magic Twins. I got the quiet ones. I would say it is pretty close to stock noise levels, just a different tone. Changed the jetting and clutching to compensate for the twins. I have yet to ride yet this season, but at least they look good under the hood.

I have heard mixed reviews about Black Magic, but so far I have had good results using them.

I will update on the performance gains I see with these mods.

--ZRJoe--- How well do those D&D twins fit under the hood? Have you had any problems with any hood or belly pan melting? Did you add a lot of heat tape? I only ask because mine are in there tight and there is not much room between the hood and the top of the pipes in some places.

Sounds like your ZR7 is pretty Bad A$$. Cool....Keep em runnin.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZR7

Mine are tight too. I actually had to cut the screen tab in the hood center to get the hood to close up. So I have no more than 1" clearance. And YES LOTS of heat tape!!!! And the hood does get warm. I haven't had it out in anything warmer than -10c. SOOOO.

I used to have a stock xhaust with a MBRP silencer on it. These twin are a lot quieter. than that setup.

What altitude are you running??? What size main jets are you at then? Did you keep the stock gearing in her?

·
Registered
73 Posts
ZRJoe--

I ride in N. Wisconsin, UP of Mich, and sometimes N. Illinois. The elevation here is only about 600ft. In N. Wisconsin its about 900ft or so. So i am pretty low in alt.

As far as jetting goes I am going to first try the recomended setup from Black Magic, which are 320 mains, which were the stock setup for my elevation, I am using the same jet needle, only i moved it to the fourth position, which i believe richens it up, and I adjusted the air screw to 1.5 turns out. It was at 1.75 turns out from the factory.

Like I said before I have yet to get her on the snow, so we will see if I stay with this jetting set up or not. Its only a starting point for now. Black Magic said they tested this setup in Alaska at 430 ft elev, and a temp of 14F. So i feel that is pretty close to my conditions. We shall see.

Thanks for your info about the pipe/hood clearance and heat tape experience. It is useful advice, and I am glad to hear it.

Long live the ZR700's!!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey ZR You might want to check that jetting!!
320 is awfully small for your altitude. I did a quick check using my charts and I would be at least running 350's. You don't want to fry it!

If you guys get some snow let me know how it goes!!

Did you do any work to your airbox?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I own a 99 ZR700 with black magic twins and clutch kit. I cant remember the jetting but I think its 340's with the clip moved down a half a position.( you can get mikuni washers that are half the thickness of the plastic stock washer ) Put one on top of the clip and one below to take up the same distance. that worked very well to help getting it dialed in. The clutch kit from black magic over revved at first, but found out it was tight pin's on the weights. If it still over rev's this next time out, I'm going back to the black magic kit that I used for the stock set-up 80-2035 kit # .I slightly modified the stock air box. I really like the way it runs- it is fast and fun in the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tigger.

What elevation are you running at?
What RPM is your sled maxing at?

I'm running 360's on the mains and needle in the mid notch.
I have to lean it up a bit. Piston wash wash about a silver dollar last time out.
TOO much!

·
Registered
539 Posts
i had a 95 zr 700 improved stock race sled that made 152.8 hp at 8600 around 94 ft/lbs.torque at 8500,went 6.31 in 660 ft. and 5.60s in 500 ft.grass.ran in 700,800, and sometimes 1000 imp.st. was very competitive. 68+81 is a good bore to stroke combo. good to work with. i believe newer 700's ignition and air box are weak.would bore carbs to 41.7 mm,add psi pipes ,d&d power breather with shealves removed. w/ old ignition could run as low as .060 squish with good fuel{93 oct} not sure about new ignition.would recommend machineing combustion chambers or bm heads.should breath well now,fine tune fuel flow and clutch/gear combo,should be very respectable.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hi ZR, Ive been gone for a while, elevation is whatever it is in the U.P of Michigan and northern lower Michigan. The rpm's were 8700 to 8800 with the tight pins. It should be in the 8300 to 8500 range now. I did get a chance to ride it a couple days ago, but there wasn't enough snow to do a good test on it. It does run great though. I'll check my jetting and get back to you. the washers are a yamaha part # from an srx. If i find the paper work on the washers, I'll get that info to ya also,they really make a difference..........tigger

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
the part number for the plastic washers are-- 8AB-14227-00-00 washer is .4 mm and costs about .80 each . found them online from xtreme powersports. and they are off of a 2001 srx700. you'll need 4 of them. I'll give you my jetting spec's in few days...tigger

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey tigger.

If you are still testing. How do you like the Black Magic twins.

The DD's i have HATE to run at anything lower that 6500 rpms. I did some major adjustments on the clutches to get the backshift right. otherwise it was too boggy at the low revs.
I guess thats the nature of those twins.

Thanks for the washer tip. I can actually get them locally.

Now if would only stop raining!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The Black magic twins took a little work to get them to fit correctly. They hit the hood in front of the clutch at first. I had to rotate the silence back a little and weld some new mounts to it. It wasn't that hard to do. now they fit great. The pipes are real responsive (no bogging at all) My jetting is 330 main and clip in the 3rd position(w/both washers under the clip ) The instructions from B/M are to put the clip in the 2nd(from bottom) position and run 340 mains.I ran 350's at first and got about 5 miles to the gallon,could'nt pass a gas station. I'll let you know about my gas milege if we ever get any snow. We cant wait to get some snow because my wife got an F7 for Christmas and managed to put 30 miles on it so far in 3 inches of snow. She didn't let me ride it yet. the next day it rained so we just sat around Camp-Crack- a- Cold- One for the rest of our X-mas break. I'll keep you posted if we ever get snow...tigger hey I thick it's snowing! we got a whole 1/4 inch last night! whoo-hoo!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
hello everyone,

I too have a 99 zr 7!....I love mine, except for the tuning thing. im running all stock right now, but I plan on doing the following.

mbrp silencer,
d&d clutch kit,
gut the airbox,
timing key,
boyesen reeds,
cut heads,

some odds and ends.

zrjoe, what did your sled sound like when you were running the single with mbrp? my buddy just bought a 500 with that on it and it sounds sweet!......

im running 350 mains, with the needle in 2 position.

All in all torque is king, and im going to tune this bitch right! get it running good...from what I have been reading here, clutching, head cut, and proper jetting make it a beast, compared to what it was!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want I could sell you my MBRP. It only has 50 miles on it. Doesn't work with twins.
$100

Let me know!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts