Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my 98 ZR600 loses a little bit of fuel around the filler neck whenever I go riding (after the tank has been filled). I originally thought there was something wrong with the gas cap, but instead I found a small crack, probably 1/3 of the way around the filler neck, where the gas cap screws on. I'd say it's probably about half way between the top and bottom of the threads, and it's a horizontal crack (pretty much parallel with the threads). Anybody have any good ideas on how to repair this? I read on amsnow that a guy used JB Weld on a crack around the base of the filler neck, so I'm thinking about giving that a shot, but just thought I'd ask if anyone has a better idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Buddy of mine at work had the same thing happen to his 98 ZR 600.... ended up after trying to fix it, that it didn't hold up and had to get a whole new tank...sucks

·
Registered
481 Posts
We had that happen on an old polaris. Had to buy a whole new tank. Dont tighten your gas cap so hard! j/k.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem on a '97 ZRT6. What a pain in the a$$! I ended up drilling the ends of the crack to stop the propagation. Then 2 part epoxied the crack. It worked fine, just make sure you are easy with the filler cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts