Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 ZR600 carbed that quit the other day after letting out a big bang. I have good compression and fuel. I have never come across this before, after checking the plugs for spark I went to do a comp ck when I pulled it I thought I saw a spark. With the kill button off and the ignition key off I still have spark! The motor only fires once and a while when pulling it over and usually backfires when it does fire. Has anyone experienced this before? :blink:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by pearbart@Mar 2 2003, 05:09 PM
I have a '99 ZR600 carbed that quit the other day after letting out a big bang. I have good compression and fuel. I have never come across this before, after checking the plugs for spark I went to do a comp ck when I pulled it I thought I saw a spark. With the kill button off and the ignition key off I still have spark! The motor only fires once and a while when pulling it over and usually backfires when it does fire. Has anyone experienced this before? :blink:
flywheel key maybe???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the flywheel key is going to effect the spark when the key and kill are in the off position there shouldn't be any at that time. I'm thinking cdi, does anyone concur? Larry

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
that was the year of stators and safety switches try to disconnect some of the safety switches mainly the one on the throttle also swap out a cdi just in case if the key was sheared it would yank youre arm off i repair lawnmowers and even with only 1 cylinder it hurts ,

·
Registered
443 Posts
Had a Thundercat with bad cdi. that did the same thing. Once got it started then couldn't shut it down. Tryied key, emergency stop, even held the throttle lever an tryied to kill with the safty switch. Nothing still ran. pulled hot wire of coil sled stop runnig but I was on my butt. So much for 12 volts feeding the coil. Replaced cdi and had no more problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LOL!! :D Turbo - try pulling the choke & stalling the engine next time!! I remember back in High School small engine class, I knew I'd get shocked (by pulling the spark plug wire), but didn't think it would hurt too much. So I thought it was worth a try. LMFAO!!!! I'll never do that again!!! :D

To the guy with problems, find out if your sled operates on a "Normally Grounded Ignition" OR a "Normally Open Ignition". I believe you can tell from the shape of the kill switch. Square = NGI Circle = NOI This will let you know what you should be looking for interms of wiring problems. Ex; NGI means the sled will not run unless it's grounded. So if it's NGI & it runs, ground is not your issue. Good Luck!!! I hate elect. problems!!!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
ZRT800. I didnt pull the plug wire I pulled the white and red wire witch went to the coil. Figuered it was only twelve volts. Boy was I wrong. I guess they aren't like dads old Chevy :D .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts