Hardcore Sledder banner

ZR5EFI NO LOW END

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  f250 
#1 ·
I have a 1.25 track and D&D clutch kit. She ran fine last year with a little bog down low. This year it is really anoying, its like starting your car out in 2nd gear. but once you hit 6500 rpms she'll pull the skis off the ground. Its voilent, it dosent ease into the power its like hitting nitro. When I get into the powder and the track spins alot out of the hole its much less noticeable? Any help would be much appreciated.

#4 ·
Check the belt deflection, is it riding high enough in the secondary? Is there enough tension on the secondary spring?

#5 ·
Belt is a little hevier than a 16th above the 2ndary spring is new but I do agree about it being a clutch prodlem. When it gets to 6500 it rips like crazy. Like I said before its like starting out in 2nd gear , slow growling power than bam skis are sky bound even in 2 feet of loose snow. It could be something with ignition but the motor sounds like it wants to go. Like I'm towing somthing , so clutching would be the place to look however I'm not a clutch expert.99 ZREFI5 with 1.25 track? Do I need to engage earlier ,lower gear first so how do i get the clutches to do that?

#6 ·
Plummer..
When you nail it what is the MAX rpm that you get from it?

When do nail it from a start. Does the RPM stay maxed thru to top speed or does it climb slowly as the speed climbs?

According to the perf. Manual you should be pulling 8500 - 8700 revs with that motor.

If the RPMS are slowing climbing as the speed climbs, or when you runs slow and punch it and the RPMS don't max then the Backshift on the secondary is weak.

If you have time you might want to try putting MORE torsion on the secondary spring. You top RPMS will drop a bit. But if the Shift cleans up you know for sure that it is the secondary. If so, time for new bushings, rollers and spring.

#7 ·
From a dead start It engages at 5000, then goes to 6000 and slowly to 6500 then bam it takes off and the rpms rise quickly to 7800 and max out at 8100-8200 in deep powder . never had a chance to keep it wide open for long time, but it seemed like the rpms were still rising even at 8200. all the time speed was increasing as the rpms were. It would stay at 7900-8000 from 55mph up to 75-80mph then the rpms would start hiting8200 after that. the spring is new from last season and only has 380 miles on it. when I put the clutch in last year everything looked good.

2050 miles on it . Dave

#8 ·
It sounds like the cover on the secondary clutch wasn't wound up the right way and you have no side tension on the belt. check with one of our budies for some help with this. When you wind up the spring in the cover you would go clock wise. Put the spring in the middle hole on the cover. hope this helps. Good luck and good riding.

#11 ·
My 01 ZR did that, it almost throws you off the back. If it has powervalves, take the cover off the servo motor and see if the cables are on. My servo was broke and when I started it the roller just turned back and forth kicking the cables off. This causes the exhaust valves to stay closed until they are forced open by pressure aroung 6500 rpm, then hang on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.