Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners of 800 twins should all do themselves a favor that may save their motors from bleeding to death.

There is a coolant drain hose that runs from the front, lower, PTO (clutch) side of your motor across to the MAG (recoil) side of the chassis. If you look between your motor and the silencer you'll see the hose in question. It's the small one with the nylon cap on the end. This hose is full of coolant. The problem is, that the hose sometimes is routed in a way that causes it to rub on the sharp edges of the bulkhead. Over time (and it doesn't take long) it WILL cut through the hose. Bye, bye coolant. <------not good!

The good news is that this can be fixed cheaply an easily. A few well placed zip-ties will keep this hose up out of trouble. But it's not an easy spot to get at from above. Removal of the skidplate gives the best access.

I found this on my 02 800 (carb) last winter. With only 600 miles on the sled, the hose was worn over half way through. I posted this info on a couple other sites and several other owners have found the same thing.

Check it out TODAY. Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Very true.... I found this on my "02" ZR 800 as well last season.... a quick fix and we kept the green goo where it belonged..... THANK GOD I noticed it because it wouldn't have lasted much longer....
Good heads up. :)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Blackwolf,
I dropped my bellypan toady, and sure enough the hose you were talking about was halfway worn through. From the top it looked okay, but I decided to double check it and am glad I did. I put in a new hose and bought a 5/8th hose to put over the smaller hose. The larger hose will protect the smaller hose. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Is this the same issue that AC issued the bulletin on last winter? My dealer corrected mine before I took delivery in early Dec. '01.

·
Registered
636 Posts
this is nothing too new my 98 zr500 chaffed the hose running to the water pump. this year i checked my 2001 zr600efi le and it had a couple of nice gouges worn in it. some rubber and zip ties cures the problem. you would think cat would fix this before they stop building the zr platform.
sv

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine (02ZR800) and it appears that it had an update done as there was a corrugated plastic cover over the hoses and they we tied up and off of the frame. But it is a good idea to check any and all lines on your sleds of them as I have a 97 ZR580 that had the throttle body heater hose rubbing on an edge of the bulk head and wore though after the first season.

KenZR
Impatiently waiting for snow in MN

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an official bulletin now. Issued Jan 2nd 2003.

It's a two condition bulletin. The first one is for hoses that just need to be tied up out of harms way.........

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is typical AC workmanship. Every Arcitc Cat I have bought I have had to use a bag of tie straps, and few feet of hose and wire protector before riding the sled. Price you have to pay for owning AC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts