Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After busting through 2 feet of powder all day yesteday (the ZR 440 was running superb :D ) I parked it covered it up and went to fire it up today. It was boggin at the begining but I thought nothing of it then I stoped and it died. I discovered that the fuel was frozen inside the carbs so I heated it up with a blow drier and went on my way. Im gonna use some de-icer in it, but still it seems to freeze up quite often. Are these older ZRs (1997) suseptable to intaking snow and freezing up? The 98 ZR 500 doesnt seem to freeze up like the 440 though the 500 has froze twice. Any suggestions to advoid freeze ups are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm using one of those water absorption bags this year. You just put it in the gas tank and it absorbs all the water out of the gas. It has a string for retrieval and cost about $8.00 bucks. When the plastic bladder is full it will look like a sausage. Throw it away and buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Put antifreeze in the gas and drain the float bowls. Make sure there is no ice in the float bowls. May be best to pull the carbs and bring them inside for a while to be sure all ice melts. A little bit of water in the float bowl can become a small ice pellit that in turn can easily block your main jet. My expaeience with this condition only cost me a piston, but it could have been much worse.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
They are Sta-Dri sticks and they work the balls. Been using them for 5 years.
You may want to duct tape up the lower cutouts on that 97 especially the one under the bumper and after deep powder let it idle and dry out before shutting down for the night.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy who owned the 440 before me had the vents ductaped all up and stickers all over the thing (I later found a picture of a 97 440 in a black magic ad and see where he got this idea from). Id say on the 440 the big snow intake has to be from that large vent that is right over the pipe, why is that vent larger then it is on other sleds with the same chassis?!

·
Registered
754 Posts
you can buy a hood cover from d&d racing to install over the hood that lets cold air in and keeps the snow out.about 40.00
sno_pro_500

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those hood cover things do look neat, I might get one 40 bucks isnt bad :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
The in tank water absorbers are good, but they will do nothing for the "through the hood" snow ingestion problem. They will only absorb water in the gas tank. You will still need to add Iso to deal with moisture that enters the system after the fuel leaves the gas tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts