Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 900 has 400 miles on it. it has a powere breather and boyesen reeds and a bit of secondary clutch work, and 144 studs.This setup worked greatand the rpm was at 72 to 7300rpm. awesome powere at this rpm

I then decided to put an oversize wheel kit on and to change the gear from 26/41 to 26/40.tis was when my problems began. my sled now revs at 74 to 7600 rpm which is off the power curve.

I then did the usual with the secondary clutch to bring the rpm down by changing from hole 3 to hole 2 to hole 1 and found some but very little difference on the rpm, I then changed different springs and helix and still found very little change. I then decide to remove the gear and to put the stock gear back in. Still no change. So I am back to where the sled was when I I had the good rpm.

I had ny dealer check out everything on the sled such as allignment on the clutches and to make sure the powervalves were clean, he sad that it was all ok.

I could probably increase the weights in the primary to bring the rpm down b ut do not know why since it had good rpm use to be good with this set up previously

Stumped

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same sled with some stuff done to it. Love to help but you lost me with the "oversized wheel kit". Do you mean larger front drive sprockets?

You havn't change anything else? Belt, shims in the secondary, jetting?

If you made more power somehow, your helix finsh angle might be the problem.

03 ZR900

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey fatkkid, what I meant is that I replaced all the wheels in the suspenson with the exception of the rear one. This really makes the sled roll alot smoother and more freely, which usually translates to more speed. the drive sprockets are the same as stock.

I used this same helix before and it gave me the right rpm, so I dont think it is the helix.

where do you ride?

Thanks

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Super Moderator
5,655 Posts
Boom

With the larger wheel kit you may have reduced the friction enough that your engine will now pull it easier. This can cause overrev because the engine has less load. I would add two grams to the primary or increase your helix angle. The primary would likely be a better way to go. Just a thought!

Jester :)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Hey Boom your larger wheels just lifted the track off the hi-fax reducing friction. You can do it another way by milling down the hi-fax and keeping the same wheels. To reduce rolling resitance do 10 tooth drivers and 8 inch rear wheels. Changing to a bigger gear would affect the clutch temp maybee slipping the belt a little. Like the others said less resistance you would need more weight in the drive. An easy test to do for clutch slippage. Warm it up and do a test run. Then use 80 grit sand paper and scuff the faces of the clutches real good get down in the driven real good. If it was slipping it will pull the rpms down. Will only last about 100 miles til they polish back up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ijust got back from my dealer and he put a little more weight in the primary, and boy did it make an awesome difference, she now pulls like a freight train. I did this before I read your responses. So it is nice to know that u two (Jester and 720) agree with what my dealer did. I will have to do some speed runs to see how fast she goes.

Thanks guys

Where do you all ride?

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Boom. I live in Haliburton, Ontario.

Glad you got it fixed. Had it through radar yet? We have a gun and a 1/4 mile track that I ran 111 mph on last weekend. Next closest sled was a Mach Z that ran 102 mph. Lots of 800 twins and not one of them broke a 100 mph.

I think more will be on green next year! Gotta love it.

03 ZR900

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is a prety awesome speed for only a 1/4 mile, that is only 1320ft. What type of studs and track do you have, and is your sled lowered. Ive never run a 1/4 mile with mine yet but am going to try to get out today. I want to see what the new weights do for the speed . Hey fatkkid r u a big guy, like me?

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey fatkkid you can see my speeds on this sight by looking for my posting where i report speeds against a a ZR9(mine) an F7 and an edge x 800. My speeds were ok but my sled did not have any extrta weight in the primary.

Boom Of Manitoulin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Boom, do you know what weights they put in cause I would like to drop my r's a couple hundred too, and when I loosen the sec, I get too much belt slippage. I ride in S Ont, but heading north to Timmins,etc for a week.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Boom

I run the stock 1" track and only 128 1.075" Woody's I went 2, 2, 4 with studs ( 4 on the closed window of the track). It's lacks some hook up but I think I have the advantage on top end.

It's not lowered. The couplers are set loose, limiters out to 1/4" from the end of the bolts, rear springs to soft, and front spring slightly stiff.

Far from a big guy at 150lbs, but tall enough to reach the rear of the running boards for the launch.

Remember also..some stuff done to it.

03 ZR900

1 - 11 of 11 Posts