Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
i finally got to ride my new (to me) 04 zr 900 and noticed some apv drain oil, i am new to apv so i am unsure how much is ok and how much is not. what is normal to see on your trailer after a short or long ride. i will be taking them apart to clean even though its only got 836 miles to install shims that i purchased from fastzilla (thanks again). if there is anything io should look out for let me know.
thanks alot your help would be great!
zrcat

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey,
i finally got to ride my new (to me) 04 zr 900 and noticed some apv drain oil, i am new to apv so i am unsure how much is ok and how much is not. what is normal to see on your trailer after a short or long ride. i will be taking them apart to clean even though its only got 836 miles to install shims that i purchased from fastzilla (thanks again). if there is anything io should look out for let me know.
thanks alot your help would be great!
zrcat[/b]
Giving them a good cleaning 2 - 3 times a season is a good idea, and maybe consider using a good oil designed for power valves. I use ipone, another good one is amsoil but everyone has a preference just make sure it's good quality and intended for use with power valves. Hope you enjoy you new torque monster, best of luck. :div20:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use AMS Interceptor and have had great luck with very little oil coming out of my drain hoses and the valves not sticking. My pointers when rebuilding them would be to be sure you put them back in right side up and adjust the cables to the exact same length. Also, don’t forget the blue lock tight when installing them. When I did my APV’s, I notice my manual has a misprint. I couldn’t get close the manuals recommended cable length settings so I posted the questions on Arcticchat and was told to set them at 1.51”. It worked great! I think my manual said 1.24 max.

And yes, fastzilla is the man getting us these awesome shims!!!! :ylsuper:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have quite a few spots on the trailer under the drain and it seems alittle excessive to me. i do not know the oil that is in it but after taking them apart and inspecting i cant see why one type of oil would drain more than another though i do understand why different oils would prevent valve sticking. i must say though the shims fastzilla had made for us have a perfect fit and finish and am very satisfied, i just put them in. i need to wait till i remember to bring the micrometer home from work to double check length. do you think that improper length adjustment would cause excessive draining??? i am going on a trip to find snow on friday and would like to have this pinned.
thanks alot

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My sled's (ZR800) fuel/oil ratio is set at 65-70/1 and I've never noticed any drainage from the APV's. I'd suggest your ratio is too oil rich if you're seeing enough drainage to be concerned. Too much oil will eventually lead to carbonned up valves. AC's sleds often come overly oil rich from the factory. Do a usage study and adjust your pump accordingly.

·
Premium Member
20,861 Posts
I started adjusting my pumps to 65-70:1 like Muskoka said back in '01 on my first 800. I have never had a single drop of oil out of those hoses. Inside the APV cover (and the valves) stay very vlean, never stuck one or had one get gummed up at all. I pull them out wipe 'em off and jam them back in. 5,000+ miles on that first 800, and its still going with its present owner, zero crank issues. My pumps tend to end up with the lines about a big 1/16-1/8" leaner than the alignment marks. I can ride forever on a gallon of amsoil. 5 Zrs so far and the inside of the engines are always clean (but oily enough) inside when I pull a cylinder. Check the fuel and oil used and adjust her up, saves $$ too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.