Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 zr800 carb, swapped top end for an 04 ZR900... Do I have to get a ZR900 CDI or will the 01 800 one work.. Anyone know the timing curve differences if any? Just want to make sure its gonna be safe, if we ever get snow here in Michigan.

Comeon would you give us some of that snow colorado is getting already??? GEEZ

Thanks in advance guys!
Keith

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have heard of some using the 800 CDI, but I found a 03' ZR900 cdi for my 01'.

I would research it a little further tho, the 01' 800 cdi cannot be reprogrammed, but I believe the 02' ans newer ones can be.

Also changed the gearing to 26/41 and updated the carbs to the 900 specs, pretty easy.

I have a rktek head on mine I am looking to sell, but need the stock 900 heads to do the swap, any interest? It is set up to run 90 octane fuel up to 4000' ish.

I would sell the head for $150.00 plus your stock 900 heads.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have an 01 zr800 carb, swapped top end for an 04 ZR900... Do I have to get a ZR900 CDI or will the 01 800 one work.. Anyone know the timing curve differences if any? Just want to make sure its gonna be safe, if we ever get snow here in Michigan.
Comeon would you give us some of that snow colorado is getting already??? GEEZ

Thanks in advance guys!
Keith[/b]
Do a search of this forum or PM ZRSledHead.
He has on '02 ZR800cce converted to 900 and has listed the other part changes to acheive factory stock reliability.

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
800 to 900 swap...............easy but you do need

-cylinders
-heads
-pistons n rings
-gaskets n o'rings
-exhaust valves
-Y pipe / pipe (can is the same)
-jetting / pilot jet
-needle is the same but has a different part number
-900 CDI
I'm running reverse gearing in mine with Goodwin clutching..............pulls hard / great mileage / dead nuts reliable. Sno Tek torque arm is a must have / would also advise yanking the crank out at the same time to have trued / welded.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wanted to mention the 9DFh-58 needle as the 900's had a lean midrange condition, but couldn't find the part number. I have that in mine with a RKtek head and luv the sled, can't convince myself to sell it yet! I also put an RKtek powervavle delete kit on it, I lost some mpgs and am only getting 10 out of it, but with a 12 gallon tank (11.4) it gets to the next stop, and quickly I might add!!

·
Premium Member
20,861 Posts
Get a $12 key and ride it. It will be a bit lean in the midrange but very rideable. I put the '01 800 cdi onto my '03 900 because it was hotter for drag racing and then I ended up riding it like that a lot. The richer needles are a good, safe way to go if you have any doubts but I would definately not buy a 900 cdi unless you could literally snatch one for about $50.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have heard of some using the 800 CDI, but I found a 03' ZR900 cdi for my 01'.

I would research it a little further tho, the 01' 800 cdi cannot be reprogrammed, but I believe the 02' ans newer ones can be.

Also changed the gearing to 26/41 and updated the carbs to the 900 specs, pretty easy.

I have a rktek head on mine I am looking to sell, but need the stock 900 heads to do the swap, any interest? It is set up to run 90 octane fuel up to 4000' ish.

I would sell the head for $150.00 plus your stock 900 heads.[/b]

Why are you selling the head?

·
Premium Member
12,762 Posts
A 2 degree key is a cheap alternative to buying a CDI. And opening the same old can of worms again, get 9DFH-58 needles. They work.[/b]

Did you need the needle change modded or stock? Been watching piston wash / EGT's and have not seen a mid range issue no matter the temps.

Agree that you can get by / gain performance with the 800 box but only if you have good gas available..................places I tend to ride theres no way I'd risk it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Jefro, I Bought new renegade 1000x this year and am trying to get the 900 back to stock to sell it. I love the head, it rev's way faster than the stock heads did and pulls great. I have been racing my buddy on there F7s, from 03 to 06's and kicking their butts, out of the hole all the way up. The only mods to the 900 top end are the v-force reeds and the head, and I out weigh these guy 40 50 pounds easy, just me not the sled. the sled weighs more than the f7's 30 to 40 pounds also, so I think that says alot. Well I also have a Rktek powervalve delete kit that basically holds the powervalve at full open all the time, I loose some mpg's but other than that, don't notice it at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.