Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
There isn't a stock 600 on earth that would have sniffed my 03 F7... heck, I'm pretty sure my last 4 800's wouldn't touch it either. But if I attempted a 1600 mile saddlebag trip through Quebec with it, I'd be wolf meat.
My wife's 17 ZR 600 137 is very quick. I'd say she can touch 90 on the trail. But with me on it, mid 80's.
Keep in mind most of those older Cats, Poos and Doos with the analog "speedometers" were overstating speed by 10 mph sometimes 15. The firecat speedos were pretty darn close.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
almost ALL OEM speedo's have cheat in them, be them older machines or newer one's!
add in so many will re gear and things can be even farther off!

as stated before, HOP doesn';t always mean fastest or quickest, it sure doesn't hurt to have it, but it isn;t the only deciding factor in things like races!

and almost NO one really rides sleds at top speed or does so for any amount of time, so its rather a silly thing to be arguing about!

real trail and lake races by the average idiots(like me)
hook up. traction out of the hole tends to matter more IMO, as does riders size, weights, track studded or not, and so on!

and most all the folks that wish to SHOW off how fast there sleds are, have already modified sleds, so your not even talking stock sleds anymore!
not sure why so many feel grouchy about speed, ain;t no one here getting paid to go fast! or loosing any money if someone else sled is faster!
ride and enjoy winters while you can, there far too short as is!

·
Registered
2016 ZR6000 (for now....)
1,487 Posts
almost ALL OEM speedo's have cheat in them, be them older machines or newer one's!
add in so many will re gear and things can be even farther off!

as stated before, HOP doesn';t always mean fastest or quickest, it sure doesn't hurt to have it, but it isn;t the only deciding factor in things like races!

and almost NO one really rides sleds at top speed or does so for any amount of time, so its rather a silly thing to be arguing about!

real trail and lake races by the average idiots(like me)
hook up. traction out of the hole tends to matter more IMO, as does riders size, weights, track studded or not, and so on!

and most all the folks that wish to SHOW off how fast there sleds are, have already modified sleds, so your not even talking stock sleds anymore!
not sure why so many feel grouchy about speed, ain;t no one here getting paid to go fast! or loosing any money if someone else sled is faster!
ride and enjoy winters while you can, there far too short as is!
Well said. Top end bragging rights was something I worried about 25 years ago, but not anymore. I ride to have fun. Several of my riding buddies have 800's and 850's and I know they are all faster than me. But I don't care.

Pro tip.... If you always want to be the first one to your destination, make sure you ride somewhere where no one else knows the trails. They will make you lead then you will get there first regardless of how much horsepower you have!! Been doing this for years!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well said. Top end bragging rights was something I worried about 25 years ago, but not anymore. I ride to have fun. Several of my riding buddies have 800's and 850's and I know they are all faster than me. But I don't care.

Pro tip.... If you always want to be the first one to your destination, make sure you ride somewhere where no one else knows the trails. They will make you lead then you will get there first regardless of how much horsepower you have!! Been doing this for years!
Well said. Most of the time I ride at the back of the pack just to keep the stragglers in line, I’d rather take up the rear and just enjoy the ride

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
168 Posts
I'll throw another bone in here as I have vast experience with the ProCross, TwinSpar and Firecat chassis.
There a huge difference in hook between a normal F7 and a SP F7.
SP's get the 1.375 track, while a normal F7 (like my 06 F7 EFI) only gets the 1.0 hacker.
Also, studs and a wheel kit really make a massive difference on a Firecat with that 13.5 track, but that being said, even on pretty good hard pack I can be at 50-65MPH, punch it, and break the track loose.
I have 2 studs per row, a wheel kit, tunnel protectors and my 1.0 track and I can be in the 70's/80s for MPH before I truly start to hook well.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
A correctly dialed in ZRT600 were runners. I had a '96 and an '02, both clutched/v-forced/studded/geared. Both had STUPID top-end on primo conditions, but struggled in 4"+ of fresh. I sure as heck would not want to do a 200 mile ride in a day on either, as it would kill your back. I GPS verified speedo numbers on my Firecats (2-500SP and 2-F7 stds) and speeds were within 1mph accurate on all of them. My wife's '03 F7 had unreal speed.

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Fuch u Jim. And v max I apologize to you. We need some white stuff on these
We all need the white stuff, no apologize necessary but thank you!
My thread was not to compare sleds speeds, I was just curious what folks that have a ZR 6000 have seen with top end runs. I like most am a older rider and the need for speed is no more.

·
Registered
2019 Polaris XC 850
962 Posts
I bought a brand new 2015 ZR RR 6000 that I had for 3 winters. Got it up to 98-99 (speedo) a couple of times on icy road conditions with little to no snow. 135 Gold Diggers & some clutching. That was a nice machine & I do miss it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts