Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking online at the 2003 600 zrs well i thought they were zrs then they said 600 zl. Then i looked at the 2002 and they all said ZR 600 in 02. Why did they change them to a zl. Also what zr/zl, Should I get. I saw theres a XC Zr 600, then theres a zr 600 ss, zr 600 efi, zr 600 ESR, then theres the zl 600, zl 600 efi, zl 600 ss, zl 600 ESR. I am looking for some thing that is over all good.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm not 100% positive but if they are the same as it was when I bought my ZR 6(1998) the only difference between a ZR and a ZL was the shocks. I think the ski stance may be a touch wider on the ZL's as well, but maybe not anymore.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
lets see a zr has 4 rear idlers in back and the shocks are act, the front torque arm is strengthed with steal rods, ski stance was widened in 2000 to 43 inch the aws arms are much lighter (chromoly) verses steal seat is more agressive to running boards are stiffened up a bit too. plus the snopro handlebars

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most of the ZLs tend to be more geared for the trail
rider.
You'll [robably like the ride of the ZL for that purpose,
put the sled through its paces and you'd want a ZR, setup
for a more aggressive, responsive ride. I also found the
feel of the ZR lighter. Maybe just in my head though!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Overall the ZR and the ZL are the same chassis but thats about it. The ZL is geared toward a much more conservative rider that wants to push a little bit but is content to ride most of the time. The ZR is for a more aggressive rider that wants to push hard most of the time. The main differece is in the ride quality (ZR is Stiffer) and amenities. All of those letters designate packages:

esr= electric start and reverse
SS = computer controlled suspension dampening (very nice feature)
EFI = eloctronic fuel injection (all zls have this)

If you are aggressive get the ZR, if you want comfortable ride quality and like to cruise , get the ZL. I have both and like them equally well for the task they are used for.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The ZL 550 is the only ZL that doesnt have EFI, why didnt they keep the ZL 500 from last year with the hot case reed exhaust valve engine instead of going with the OLD piston port 550? :huh: I think its about time to put the 550 to pasture, its had a good run. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts