Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 80 psi in one cylinder and 120 psi in the other it has 2700 miles on it. I want to replace the bad piston and rings and clean up the cylinder. Any one have any input? and also can I just unbolt the cylinder from the case and pull the cylinders over the pistons, then pop out the rist pin from the piston and put the new one on and slide the cylinder back over the 2 pistons and lot it all down and fire it up? thanks to all of your help

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
BUMP any help here?[/b]
That is all I would do. You can take the head off, and the exhaust and cylinder.. If the cylinder is showing any scuff marks you can feel with your fingernail.. It should probably be sent out and re-nicasilled.. Otherwise your compression may stay the same. Also check the port openings for damage.. The 600s sometimes beat the pin (ring guide-stop etc..) into the piston alloowing the ring to turn and catch on a port.. I just tore one down a couple weeks ago that lost the lower rod bearing and basically ate itself up.. The owner decided not to repair it though and took it home. Kevin

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have 80 psi in one cylinder and 120 psi in the other it has 2700 miles on it. I want to replace the bad piston and rings and clean up the cylinder. Any one have any input? and also can I just unbolt the cylinder from the case and pull the cylinders over the pistons, then pop out the rist pin from the piston and put the new one on and slide the cylinder back over the 2 pistons and lot it all down and fire it up? thanks to all of your help[/b]
no offense, but if your asking these questions at a minimum you should invest in a repair manual, but you should seriously consider finding someone who has done a rebuild before help you. Hate to see you invest money in parts and have a problem shortly after.

·
Registered
520 Posts
no offense, but if your asking these questions at a minimum you should invest in a repair manual, but you should seriously consider finding someone who has done a rebuild before help you. Hate to see you invest money in parts and have a problem shortly after.[/b]

what he said... manuals will guide you all the way through it properly, along with giving you all the required torque specs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I just finished my 600 motor last week. Check my recent thread on it and check out the piston. Like others have said, the plating gets wrecked pretty easy so I would plan on getting it replated or have it sleeved. You can get by with just sleeving one cylinder. Also, like metioned above, deglaze the cylinders before putting it back together.

I would reccomend buying a manual. They are pretty cheap from the Cat dealer.

Jason

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Drain the water first. Make sure you put the pistions in the right direction and the rings too. Try not to beat the pins out by putting too much side load on the rods

1 - 10 of 10 Posts