Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's zr600 (carb) engages at 5500 rpm.. I'm assuming the previous owner installed a clutch kit on it. What spring should I replace to get back to stock engagement and what color spring should I replace it with?

·
Banned
33,383 Posts
are you sure the high engagement is from the spring? black magic likes to use notched weights for their high engagement

·
Premium Member
20,504 Posts
I would recommend that you remove your clutch and check it out. It sounds like a kit but it's still A good idea to cheack for wear and tear.
I have the stock weights and springs out of my 02. 53g with a yellow white spring or maybe its a yellow green, I have them anyway if your interested. located in NY.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's Black Tragic for you, they love high engagement but do make sure you don't have clutch bind. Stock primary spring should be yellow/white and weights should be 48-49 grams for a 98-00 ZR and slightly heavier for a 01 and up ZR (around 53 grams) with a yellow/green spring. Secondary spring should be yellow with a 49 (98) 51 (99) and 53 (00) helix for the and the 01 and up is red/white with a 53 helix.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked the sled out and it has a yellow/white primary and red/white secondary with 55-53 helix. I'm still not sure about the weights tho, can you check the size without removing the clutch? Maybe not a clutch kit but worn out parts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just checked the sled out and it has a yellow/white primary and red/white secondary with 55-53 helix. I'm still not sure about the weights tho, can you check the size without removing the clutch? Maybe not a clutch kit but worn out parts?[/b]
It is defiantly worth taking the clutch off and checking it over for binding or worn parts if all is good then think clutch kit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
assuming it's all stock, check the primary spring. I had the AC yellow one then went to the AC Red/white one. Lower rpm launch and I think a little better hole shot . like freezerburnt said, 4200-4300 is normal. Yours is high, even for the yellow spring. Take both clutches out, clean then and replace pins, bushings, shims and both springs. Most wait till they have problems. I'm sure I have thrown some good parts in the trash but I know that I won't have issues....

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a stock 600zr clutch kit. I put a black magic kit on mine. If you need this let me know and make an offer it is just collecting dust here at home.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advise guys.. Im going to take the clutch apart and replace worn parts. I bought this sled at the end of last season for my wife from a dealer so I wasnt sure if this was a stock clutch or not, but after looking at it, I'd say its stock. I'll take it a part and replace the worn parts with new as suggested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts