Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Curious your thoughts on my dilemma. These are two videos I took of the movement of my crankshaft and clutch. I have a lot of play in the crank as you will be able to see from the video. The clutch also moves up and down as shown in video. In the crank video you can here the clanging noise as I move the clutch back and forth. I show both sides where you can see the crank movement, If I do not move it completely from side to side to here the clanking sound, the "in between slop room" moves on the clutch side but not on the stator side. It is like the crank is broke jaggedly and there is play in between still alowing it to spin and catch at each side. The sled does start but you can imagine the clanging noise coming from it after hearing the video. Here is the links to the vids

Crankshaft Movement
Clutch Movement

Thoughts?? Crank maybe broke? Bearings shot? Should I light it on fire? HaHa

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your bearings were bad you would just have slop in it all around, but would not wobble.
Since you have a wobble in it, you crank is broke at the lower pto crank pin[/b]
So I am assuming that means a new crank?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The PTO end is sheared off. You may be able to salvage some of it, but in the long run, you would be better off finding a complete engine from a slavage yard. Usually when that happens the cases are trashed.
Had the same thing happen to my 97 zr580. It now has a nice 2002 800 efi in her.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If it is only the crank that is the problem and the cylinders and crankcase are still good, then you have a couple things to consider. You could get a complete, used engine for probably around $ 3 - 400. You can probably get a rebuilt crank from your dealer through the factory rebuild/exchange program for $ 450 - 500. I just did that for my 580 and the factory rebuilt crank looks just like new. The tech at my dealer says they look so much better than any other rebuilt crank he has ever seen. When you buy a complete engine you are getting a crank with however many thousand miles on it and how long it will last is anybodies guess. If you are into a big project, and have plenty of money to spend, you can then look to swap in an 8 or 900 twin and have a real sleeper. Your first step is going to be to tear that engine down and see if the cases are still good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 95 ZR 580 EFI bottom end for sale. Good condition, reasonable price and I accept paypal too. (PM me if you are interested).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts