Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this last weekend i went for a ride and i was going though the fuel like mad at 4.96 a gallon that hurts.so when i was out and about i was burning more then the 600's and the 700 that was with me why is that .everything is stock . why is that ???

·
Premium Member
20,504 Posts
Thats about right. Riding hard (as to keep up with larger machines) the 500 is good for as little as 6 mpg. 7-9 more the average I would say> How does it seem to run otherwise?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wasn't trying to keep up with the larger machines just riding.there has been no mads to sled the only thing i done too it was change caerb boots for there was dry rot on one of them and had the shocks rebuild .the apv have been cleaned and the jets r stock never changed anyrthing in the carbs. still got ??? on it and the sled is lots of fun

·
Registered
907 Posts
Check to see if the cables havent popped off the servo motor. Gas milage would suffer if they have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cables are all intact.and working as well as exepted .why so little bit of gas milage it's only a 500 it should have have more then that?i got freind that has the cc stlye and he get good milage on his 500 zr cce ???

·
Registered
23 Posts
wow... I was thinking of moving up to a 500 from my 440 due to the near 100hp mark for the 500 but from reading about the MPG it makes me think twice... sounds like they have great power but I pull a solid 14mpg on my ZL 440... I knew a guy that was getting close to 20mpg with a Z 440

are the 600 - 800 CC sleds that bad also?

your MPG sounds to low to me

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a fun sled.i don't know about the other sleds still trying to figure this one out .when i was out on the last ride i could tell it needs a new track one with more of a lug maybe 1.5 the 1.25 in the pow was not enough . but i did go though the gas but it was fun and i know it will keep up crossfiere 6 for i was next too one last year and he was amazed that i could keep up with him .lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
My ZR was getting crappy mileage last year, about 6-8 mpg. I found out compression was way down on one cylinder, and rebuilt the top end. Mileage went up to 13-15 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 99 ZR 600 and no matrter how hard I ride and who i ride with I am always the first person out of gas. I will be empty when everyone else is between 1/2 qnd 1/4 of a tank. ???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been thinking of changing the pistons and rings too see that would make a difference .i see that i aint the only one too have this trouble? but why the change if it's running good on the ones that r in it now ???

·
Registered
907 Posts
Just a heads up. The 5's had a problem with valve hitting the piston, mine included at 1200 miles on the clock. The valve retainer pin and hole it goes through on the valve. # 10 in the pic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will look in to it this evening and if thepin is bent or something.but does that or will it needed to be shimed if it is .and will this help me in the gas milage if i shim this out???

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I have a 1999 ZR 500, and i prolly get about 7-9mpg, but i am a aggressive rider too. I was alwats the first one out of gas cause my buddies only had a 440 fan and a 300 tundra, now they have a zrt 600 and a 600 xlt. THe zrt is prolly alittle mor harder on gas then mine but not much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ride pretty hard too.lots boondocking trying to get the best places to ride following behiund my buddies on the trails and getting off them too have some fun playing in the powder.i just wanna try and get better gas milage .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well it don't look all that bad .just going to have to rebuild the top end i guess.i like the sled but would like move up hp wouldn't mnind going to a 600 just got to find the motor and swap them out but first the rebuild the top end?

·
Registered
907 Posts
well it don't look all that bad .just going to have to rebuild the top end i guess.i like the sled but would like move up hp wouldn't mnind going to a 600 just got to find the motor and swap them out but first the rebuild the top end?[/b]
Why new top end? Is the compression bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ride a 2002 ZR500 standard with 420 miles on it. Machine is stock except for a 136" long track kit I just put on it. My fuel consumption to this point is the same as yours. I haven't tried anything carb or clutch setting wise and when I check the fuel useage I go from top off to top off and check miles from odometer. I did see a high of 10 one time. Your fuel mileage seems similar to mine though so it must be a nature of the 500s. I am toying with the idea of a 711 kit or something like that as the fuel useage can't get a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
907 Posts
never checked that but the gas milage sucks 6-8 mpg that sucks at 4.96 a gallon.what else should a person do???[/b]
Sell it. If you think a top end rebuild is a cure for poor gas milage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it' up for grabs then.3000-2500 or obo then if any body is intersted bone stock i just had all the shock rebuild the front is set to stock the rear is revalved to 225 lbs rider . sorry no pics no cam.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts