Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i can put 2 or 3 inch handlebar risers on my 1997 ZR 440 without buing new brake lines and throttle cable. Also what can i o to it to make it rip without spending to much money?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a 2 inch riser on mine and it is the max you can put on without extending cables, it does make it super easy to lay it down in the powder and I would do it again, it also gives the sled a more aggresive look. As for making it "rip", getting it clutched properly is about the best thing you can do, however I couldnt tell you where to start because I know nothing about clutching.

·
Registered
628 Posts
well first off. "rip" as in bottom end. i got the heart throb kit black magic. tighten driven clutch spring one hole tighter. "stock in it" reeds help a little. V-force is kinda high priced. boysen are cheaper. but get the dual stage they are like 69$ or something like that. used pipes on ebay. either BM or D&D are good. i picked some up for 150$. i will be doing some mix and match clutching soon and i will let you know what i figure out.

http://blackmagicracing.com/product_detail...d=6&prod=84

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to get off topic but got a 97 zr440 myself and am looking for some help. Has new top end black magic twins v force II reeds and k&n filters with snow covers(box was cracked) and it has a bad bogg out of the hole but once you get up bout 30 hold on!!!! plugs look good!! do you think i need the bm clutch kit to make it better??? maybe get rid of bogg??? thanks

Josh

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Not to get off topic but got a 97 zr440 myself and am looking for some help. Has new top end black magic twins v force II reeds and k&n filters with snow covers(box was cracked) and it has a bad bogg out of the hole but once you get up bout 30 hold on!!!! plugs look good!! do you think i need the bm clutch kit to make it better??? maybe get rid of bogg??? thanks

Josh[/b]
try messing around with the needles in your carbs....raise them or lower them by moving the c-clip up or down a notch or two?????????/just a thought

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
ya today we leaned it up one clip and that made it better but not right. it says these twin pipes like to run 9000 to 9200rpm so im thinking maybe a kit for next year who knows.[/b]
what are you turning up now....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya mine is stock and its got that exact same bog in the low end. i heard that if i just make the spring in the secondary clutch one notch tighter it suposely makes it a little better. But i think it stil needs a clutch kit. Also how loud are those black magic twin pipes? i do alot of trail riding and i cant have it to loud but i want it to sound nice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
They are not much louder at idle but if you nail it ,it opens up with a NICE sound!!! But its all personal preferance!!! I might try that spring trick mine is in middle setting wonder how that changes the bogg???

Josh[/b]
i got the same set up bm twins, vforce, but i got the power breather. i am burning my primary this year with 47g center weight. i just got some 51. the guy a bought my pipes from said the amount of power it makes the little 46g stock are to light. i got the bm kit. it uses stock weights dif helix and primary spring. i am also running a .020 belt instead of the .010. i am having a problem with is loading up at idle. 340 mains. 45pilots. i had 35 pilots and it seemed to do the same so i am not sure. i am kinda stumped now. and this damn MN weather changes faster then i can change the damn jets. needle is center also. i think one carb is messed up because it starts on one cylinder then the other kicks in. make sure you weights have the notches in them to. its the only way to get off the line better. anyone have any advice please share your thoughts. thanks Craig

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
i got the same set up bm twins, vforce, but i got the power breather. i am burning my primary this year with 47g center weight. i just got some 51. the guy a bought my pipes from said the amount of power it makes the little 46g stock are to light. i got the bm kit. it uses stock weights dif helix and primary spring. i am also running a .020 belt instead of the .010. i am having a problem with is loading up at idle. 340 mains. 45pilots. i had 35 pilots and it seemed to do the same so i am not sure. i am kinda stumped now. and this damn MN weather changes faster then i can change the damn jets. needle is center also. i think one carb is messed up because it starts on one cylinder then the other kicks in. make sure you weights have the notches in them to. its the only way to get off the line better. anyone have any advice please share your thoughts. thanks Craig[/b]
check your choke cables..i had the same problem with it starting on one cylinder then hitting two...i converted mine to a primer kit..never had the problem since..

·
Registered
172 Posts
i got the same set up bm twins, vforce, but i got the power breather. i am burning my primary this year with 47g center weight. i just got some 51. the guy a bought my pipes from said the amount of power it makes the little 46g stock are to light. i got the bm kit. it uses stock weights dif helix and primary spring. i am also running a .020 belt instead of the .010. i am having a problem with is loading up at idle. 340 mains. 45pilots. i had 35 pilots and it seemed to do the same so i am not sure. i am kinda stumped now. and this damn MN weather changes faster then i can change the damn jets. needle is center also. i think one carb is messed up because it starts on one cylinder then the other kicks in. make sure you weights have the notches in them to. its the only way to get off the line better. anyone have any advice please share your thoughts. thanks Craig[/b]
What do you mean notches cut in them??? How does that help as i have never heard of it!

·
Registered
628 Posts
these are notched you will see the little indent on the top. it helps hold the weight till the last moment before the spring lets loose. so you can rev a little higher to get a better hole shot. instead of the clutch rolling slowly to engagment it just blast grabs and go! as for the secondary. if you tighten it up one notch you will loose a little top end. but the clutch will stay closed longer. you gotta get used to the back shift with it to. as it does close faster. how does the primer kit work and where can i get one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts