Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to ride my new 2002 ZL SS EFI Saturday and I heard the fuel pump whining very loudly. The sled only has 130 miles on it. I took off, and made it about fifty feet before it died. It started back up, but you could tell by listening to it, that it was starving for gas. Took it in to the dealer, suspecting a bad fuel pump, but the dealer told me that it was just a piece of ice in the tank plugging the pickup. Has anyone had this happen to them?

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, I have not seen this on my efi, but after having the fuel system freeze up a few times on the wifes zl500 carb, I routinely add drygas (isopropyl) to both of them. I add about 1/4 of a bottle per tank and have not had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Yup!

Same deal on my Dad's 02 ZL 600 SS. The problem is the Smart Valve!!! Trust me, get if fixed, you will have another problem if your dealer tried to tell you it was just ice. :angry: My Dad's actually needed a new fuel pump as well. Another friend just had the same thing with his 02 ZL 600 SS

Please be careful, the thing is going to leave you stranded if you don't get it fixed!!!! :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update- the dealer is replacing the fuel pump so that it will be ready to ride this weekend- I hope. They told us that this is not the only sled this has happened to. Jst a word to the wise.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by ZL SS 600@Jan 16 2003, 12:13 PM
Just an update- the dealer is replacing the fuel pump so that it will be ready to ride this weekend- I hope. They told us that this is not the only sled this has happened to. Jst a word to the wise.
It will fail again!!!! Get the Smart Valve replaced.

Take if from someone who has dealt with this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts