Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up the wifes ZL500 yesterday for the first time since winter. Had a serious bogging problem when giving quick burst of throttle. I had to slowly depress throttle and wait for revs to catch up otherwise would bog out or stall.
I figured it was just old stale gas.

This afternoon I walked by shed and smelled a strong gas odor. I opened door and was overwhelmed by the fumes and noticed a huge wet gas spot under the ZL. About a 1/4 tank had drained out. :banghead:
I really couldn't see where the fuel was leaking from but I assume it is the carbs.
Any ideas what may be causing the bogging and now the fuel leakage?
I plan on working on this tomorrow....any ideas are much apreciated :beerchug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
My guess is that the needle/seat is dirty and not sealing. If you prop the back of the sled on a stand the fuel may be running through it. The bogging probably isn't just bad gas but it could be. I would guess, however, that your carbs need to be cleaned. A low end bog indicates a lean condition or clutching problem. Since your sled is just being run on a stand with no load, my guess is that you might have dirty carbs. If they are real bad you could fry a pistion. Pull your carbs and clean them out real good. Be sure to remove and clean the pilot jets. Check your air screw and idle screw adjustments before you remove them so you can get them back to the same place when you re-install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by ViperGTS/F7@Aug 28 2005, 08:43 PM
I started up the wifes ZL500 yesterday for the first time since winter. Had a serious bogging problem when giving quick burst of throttle. I had to slowly depress throttle and wait for revs to catch up otherwise would bog out or stall.
  I figured it was just old stale gas.

This afternoon I walked by shed and smelled a strong gas odor. I opened door and was overwhelmed by the fumes and noticed a huge wet gas spot under the ZL. About a 1/4 tank had drained out. :banghead:   
I really couldn't see where the fuel was leaking from but I assume it is the carbs.
  Any ideas what may be causing the bogging and now the fuel leakage?
I plan on working on this tomorrow....any ideas are much apreciated  :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=851314
[/quote]
another area of problem with cats is the plastic water trap on the bottom of the carbs, they rot. if you clean the carbs i would replace the traps. better to do now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,688 Posts
Needle & seat and check the float while you're in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by bgbytoys@Aug 29 2005, 06:19 PM
another area of problem with cats is the plastic water trap on the bottom of the carbs, they rot. if you clean the carbs i would replace the traps.  better to do now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=852269
[/quote]

BINGO!!
That's exactly what it was. Had 2 good size cracks and was leaking big time on the one carb. It's weird how it started leaking after I ran it :dunno:
I replaced both sides and also thoroughly cleaned carbs. Had quite a bit of gumming and varnish smell. I think this fuel is almost 2 years old....not sure if I even ran a full tank out of it last year :frech32:
2000 miles on a 98.....you know it is not used much.
The bogging seems much better now too :beerchug:
Thanks for replies

Ready for the snow :fluffy: :fluffy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by ViperGTS/F7@Aug 29 2005, 08:10 PM
BINGO!!
  That's exactly what it was. Had 2 good size cracks and was leaking big time on the one carb. It's weird how it started leaking after I ran it :dunno:
  I replaced both sides and also thoroughly cleaned carbs. Had quite a bit of gumming and varnish smell. I think this fuel is almost 2 years old....not sure if I even ran a full tank out of it last year :frech32:
  2000 miles on a 98.....you know it is not used much.
  The bogging seems much better now too :beerchug:
    Thanks for replies

Ready for the snow :fluffy:  :fluffy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=852522
[/quote]
i hope all other cat riders take notice of this. polaris issued a recall on these items and cat has never acknowledged this problem. they rot from all the additives in the gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,320 Posts
Originally posted by ViperGTS/F7@Aug 29 2005, 10:10 PM
BINGO!!
  That's exactly what it was. Had 2 good size cracks and was leaking big time on the one carb. It's weird how it started leaking after I ran it :dunno:
  I replaced both sides and also thoroughly cleaned carbs. Had quite a bit of gumming and varnish smell. I think this fuel is almost 2 years old....not sure if I even ran a full tank out of it last year :frech32:
  2000 miles on a 98.....you know it is not used much.
  The bogging seems much better now too :beerchug:
    Thanks for replies

Ready for the snow :fluffy:  :fluffy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=852522
[/quote]

Not sure what kind of fuel you run, but over the years we noticed that reg fuel seems to varnish and green the carbs up alot faster than high test gas. I have never taken a carb off any sled I owned but I start them once a month to keep the gas moving in the carbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ready2race@Aug 30 2005, 06:14 PM
Not sure what kind of fuel you run, but over the years we noticed that reg fuel seems to varnish and green the carbs up alot faster than high test gas. I have never taken a carb off any sled I owned but I start them once a month to keep the gas moving in the carbs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=853772
[/quote]
I almost use regular exclusively and have never had problems in past. I used to follow the same practice as you with starting them once a month or so but haven't done so in the last 2 years. Think I might get back into that practice again because of this event and also I notice they are much harder to start than when I used to fire them up monthly.
I think the additive that bgbytoys is talking about would be in both reg. and hightest :dunno:
Maybe the varnish is quicker to form in reg :dunno: but I know this gas is rather old and stale. I don't think I ran a whole tank out last year and only topped off in beginning of season last year, so theoretically this gas could even be 3 seasons old now, with only partially fresh gas mixed into tank at the beginning of last year.
I am kinda glad much of it leaked out and probably should drain the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,320 Posts
I usually drain the left over old gas out every year before I start riding, Reg is so low on octane it goes bad fast turning the carbs green, I would imagine the additives would be in both also ,not much way around this, I do beleive in starting once a month to keep things moving ,so far in 30 years I've had no problems with this method, stick with what works I guess. :beerchug:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top