Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of notes and peaves.
While riding this weekend I took my 13yr old with me. Hes a fairly advanced rider for his age. This was his first snowmobiling trip. We were at a location that had several pit stops etc.
Now I know not everyone is in this category but! I couldn't believe all the riders that were with young ones also, but while at the stops were consuming beer. Some even standing besides their sleds drinking.
OUR sport is getting hammered about deaths in the media rather frequently.
Drinking in a good percentage of the fatalities is a factor.
I am trying to get my young guy to be responsible and respect the power
of the sled he is riding. NOT A VERY GOOD thing for him to see all the riding drinkers.
NEXT--- The A....holes who think the trail system is a speedway and need to
take every corner as if its their last. Unfortunately, it may be someones elses last also.
I really do wish to be positive but just needed to say something.
Thanks
Jim R (Snoace)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good point/gripe Snoace~
I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to enjoy my Firecat sober! It's such an exhilarating sled - who needs to alter reality? Well, maybe I can understand it if they aren't riding a CAT! :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I ride with my 12 yar old son and when I see people drinking I make sure I point it out to him as an example of what not to do and why it is so important to stay to the right and, in a worst case scenario, be ready to bale! Personally I don't worry about the guy have a beer at lunch, it's the guy who has one at every stop!

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Sober is the only way to ride. My F7 has more horsepower than my wife’s car. This is the law in NYS.

A court can suspend the privilege of a person to operate a snowmobile if the person is convicted of snowmobiling under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The court can also suspend the snowmobile registration. The law also provides for strict penalties and enforcement for these offenses. A person who refuses to take a chemical test (breath test) immediately receives a suspension of the privilege to operate a snowmobile, pending a DMV hearing.

They are starting to enforce it better on Tug Hill, but haven’t seen any sobriety stops in Old Forge. However, I wish everybody would take it upon themselves to stay sober while ridding, because those check points really suck and are a waste of my time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I look at it like this Fast sled's kill drunk people just like guns there is now way in hell I would ever ride a sled drunk...I've pulled my share of people out of cars...

Save the party for when your done....Then while there sleeping off a hangover I can get out and ride in all the fresh snow...Yes......

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's not my place to preace how others live their lives, it's a free country and you have yourself to live with. I love Bud Light and Limon Sevens, but I also NEVER drink while riding, EVER. I stick to Diet Coke, Water, & Coffee. I owe it to my family, your family, and my employees. Not to mention, I can't get my money's worth out of the F7 if I was tipsy, that thing is just to damn fast.

:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
enjoy the day sober, ride safe and respectfully, enjoy the whole day on the sleds, and then turn it up at the clubs at night, KEEP THE SLED AT THE LODGE..........

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think if your touring and not ripping up the trails you might be able to have a beer or two during lunch and it won't add to the danger. I think it's dependent on the person.

I don't drink ever, (well I have had about 6 beers in my lifetime). . . so I guess I have had a few, but only a few.

Since I don't drink, I have much greater focus on riding and have no problem riding zero tolerance. I think we should get the drunks off the trails. How? That's another question.

A couple of drinks can affect the reaction time of many riders out there, for that reason, after having a couple, riders should pledge to themselves and others to ride a bit slower and keep everyone safe.

I like the zero tolerance ideas and values that the MSA aspires to (Michigan Snowmobile Association), but it's a bit unrealistic for many riders who can safely have a beer or two over lunch. Most the guys I ride with don't drink at all until the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Boy this is such a sensitive issue I hate to even comment. But here goes. I've seen the guys who stop and do a beer, a shot, another beer, etc. I'll be the first to admit I usually have a beer with lunch. I'm talking one perhaps two very seldom with a big lunch. Yeah I know how many feel regarding any at all. I've been riding well in excess of 25 years and have a family. I definitely would not like to meet anyone drunk on the trail. In no way do I encourage drinking and riding. Everyone needs to self govern and it is those that don't that give our sport a bad name. :wacko: I will not get up on a soap box and preach but please use common sense. It's not that difficult and if you really want to hang one on with the guys or whatever please wait until you're back for the day/night. :) :) :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Originally posted by Firefighter@Jan 30 2003, 04:11 PM
I look at it like this Fast sled's kill drunk people just like guns there is now way in hell I would ever ride a sled drunk...I've pulled my share of people out of cars...
Guns don't kill people... stupidity kills people. Enough said.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Drinking will always be a problem with this sport. This is a blue collar sport. Blue collar workers drink beer! You can be trailer trash and do this sport. It doesn't take much money to get a sled. Just add beer and you have a $7000 killing machine.
Be safe and don't drink and drive. Think of others that want to go home in one piece.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I guess I never viewed it as a colored collar sport. A 5000 dollar trailer with a 7000 dollar sled parked outside, now thats Americana at it's best.
Ahh, but a fine bottle of wine can do you in just as well as a warm six pack of Old Milwaukee, it just tastes alot better.
Collar color aside, get smashed and hit me or my family with your sled....................you better know how to run faster than a Firecat................................

<_< <_<

·
Registered
819 Posts
The F7 is scary when you are sober. When you hit the throttle you have to hold on and that is hard to do sober. Me my dad and my little brother ride a lot. We haven't encountered a drunk on the trail yet because at those pit stops we leave before they do just to be a little safer. I dont believe in drinking and driving anything(car, boat, snowmobile). When my dad and brother are out riding its nice to know where they are going so you have an idea. A cell phone or walkie talkie are also a plus too. Not that this will stop drinking and snowmboling but I just figured I would add my 2 cents!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
in michigan, there is a zero tolerance law now, one beer = ticket, not a dui but a zero tolerance ticket,
at least thats what the locals told me!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Originally posted by filipisj@Feb 1 2003, 12:24 AM
shut-up and ride.
It's people like you that have no respect for other people's opinions.....being a new member you obviously don't have the level of respect that most of us have on this forum, hopefully you'll find a new one......if you don't have anything nice to say, maybe you're the one that should shut up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cetainly wish to thank all those that read and commented on the topic. It is encouraging to read the replys.
When JR. wakes up in the morning, guess what hes going to be reading!
Thanks again
JimR (SNOACE)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts