Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The National snowmobile Congress has called for people to adopt a zero tolerance for alcohol while riding. How many of You are swearing to zero tolerance? How many aren't?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I dont drink and ride.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
We ride then drink once the sleds are parked!

I think everone agrees that no one should ride drunk. However there still are people who think that 1-2 is ok.

The thing I can't understand is if 1-2 "supposedly" does not affect you then why even have 1 or 2? What is the upside? Considering the scrutiny our sport is under it is best to not drink at all. Besides if you ever have an accident after 1 drink, with alcohol on your breath, you are immediately considered guilty!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't drink unless we are on a cruise ship and that's not very often. Cheap high that way. :)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way I have sworn zero tolerance because as You can see I can't even spell alcohol while sober!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Drinking and driving kills! Lost one friend that way. Thats enough. Save the drinking for when the sled is put away and leave your vehicle alone as well.

I remember the wine skin days quite well, I'm no angel. Looking back on it makes me realize that some of you will not listen to advice of this kind and some of you will be buried by your freinds. I still have tears for my friend thinking of the things we did and will never do again.

Your old enough to decide. But when you do, think of more than yourself and if you can't and still drink a drive, don't take anyone with ya when you go.

Did that sound preachy?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
nh has a zero tollerance for snowmobilers ! you get caught even with 1 drink, bye bye drivers license! not worth the risk ! (injury)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Sasquatch_77@Dec 6 2002, 10:19 AM
Drinking and driving kills! Lost one friend that way. Thats enough. Save the drinking for when the sled is put away and leave your vehicle alone as well.

I remember the wine skin days quite well, I'm no angel. Looking back on it makes me realize that some of you will not listen to advice of this kind and some of you will be buried by your freinds. I still have tears for my friend thinking of the things we did and will never do again.

Your old enough to decide. But when you do, think of more than yourself and if you can't and still drink a drive, don't take anyone with ya when you go.

Did that sound preachy?
Sas, not preachy at all. Real life. I was with a close friend when he got the call that his mother was killed by a drunk driver. Cars, sleds...all the same. I feel the momentum swinging towards 0 tolerance, but each person has to make the decision. Trust me, you don't want to be around when that call comes in and you don't want that call placed to your house...Marc

·
Registered
738 Posts
I like to wait until the end of the day. Since you've been riding all day, you're probably worn out. So, in this case, it will only take a few bevees to get ya all sloshed up. And riding while drinking just brings trees and the such a lot closer! Ride sober, ride safe!
Open up them there trails, comon'

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I agree on zero tolerance. If you've been drinking and you get caught riding, you should get your sled taken away for the rest of that winter. :angry:

·
Registered
978 Posts
zero tolerance is ok i guess, but what happens to the people who ride to the bars and then have the 10-15 minute ride home at 11 or 3 o'clock at night, i dont think there gonna be affected, and i also think that some people need to make better choices on whether they can ride. If we stop to eat i know the people i ride ith ahave a beer or somethng alchoholic, it doesn't impair them in anyways therefore they find it ok. Last winter we went to eat at a restaurant in vt and we ended up meeting some people up there and stayed late playing pool and having a good time with many people drinking, the parents decided it was not safe to go on the 15 minute ride home, so we slept over a total strangers house. Tons of people ride after or stop and have a beer while there riding, but some dont drink to get drunk and ride, like i said its what they have for a beverage with their food. Its another thing drinking all night then ridin around like a maniac waitin for an accident.

this is just what i think as a 15 year old...

o yea we losta good friend of ours at the beggining of the winter,he was ridin in vt while we were in nh, i dont know how much of an infuence it had on the drinking...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Considering my occupation I have to agree with the zero tolerance. Now I like a cold beer after the ride at the lodge, or a hot chocolate with german schnapps, but not while riding. got called to a crash last night where a .20 AC drunk rearended an 80 yoa man. Both traveling the same direction. I see way too much of it. Sorry guys, I try not to mix business with pleasure I am putting my firecat hat back on and putting the duty hat away..:(

My zero tolerance comment applies strictly to my decision in how i choice to ride, hope this clarify's things for some...

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by arcticrider600@Dec 6 2002, 11:35 AM
zero tolerance is ok i guess, but what happens to the people who ride to the bars and then have the 10-15 minute ride home at 11 or 3 o'clock at night, i dont think there gonna be affected, and i also think that some people need to make better choices on whether they can ride. If we stop to eat i know the people i ride ith ahave a beer or somethng alchoholic, it doesn't impair them in anyways therefore they find it ok. Last winter we went to eat at a restaurant in vt and we ended up meeting some people up there and stayed late playing pool and having a good time with many people drinking, the parents decided it was not safe to go on the 15 minute ride home, so we slept over a total strangers house. Tons of people ride after or stop and have a beer while there riding, but some dont drink to get drunk and ride, like i said its what they have for a beverage with their food. Its another thing drinking all night then ridin around like a maniac waitin for an accident.

this is just what i think as a 15 year old...

o yea we losta good friend of ours at the beggining of the winter,he was ridin in vt while we were in nh, i dont know how much of an infuence it had on the drinking...
Pretty good response.

I have one big problem with it though. Who determines whether or not someone is affected by having that drink?? They say they are "OK" but are they? After riding all day, what effect does that one beer have on someone, knowing that everyone is affected differently?

Sorry, gotta be zero tolerance.

Also, remember, most accident occur with in 10 miles of the home in an auto, I would imagine that the stats are pretty much the same for sleds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Zero for me too. Plenty of time at the lodge after the 150+ mile day trip is done...

We all know the one's that don't adhere to this.. my neighbor won't even think about not going out without stuffing his coat pockets full of beer. He's got a CDL license too, I can't imagine risking all that, but some people are flat out stupid.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't drink while I'm riding, and I don't ride with other people who drink and ride. When I'm done riding for the day, then I don't mind having a couple of beers.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts