Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following are my riding impressions on my 2008 Z1 Nightfire with Simmons Gen 2 skis

These are awsome skis in two to three feet of powder....no crust ; the Z1 floats with ease with only a 6 inch foot print.. Absolutely no darting on groomed trails, No ski lift on corners at 50 to 60 mph on groomed trils.

I did manage to get stuck while breaking trail on a moose path between two mountains after hitting a burried stump and rolling the Z1 over on its side, another time after the bottom fell out while busting over burried brush in 4 ft powder, the sled sunk, and rolled into a small tree...cracking the windshield with only minor other scratches.......once you get really stuck the Z1 is a beast to get out. I found that the Z1 not as agile to manage in deep powder. Body english is harder to apply due to the weight......but after all it is not a mountain sled......but with these skis it is still quite impressive as long as you keep moving, and don't stop in the deep snow.

Weight is not an issue on groomed trails----in fact it is a plus and provides stability. The engine grunt is also impressive.....also driving on ungroomed 4 ft wide Moose ruts at low speed is a great experience with this sled as it tractors thru almost anything.

[attachment=410954:Simmons_1.jpg]

[attachment=410957:Simmons_2.jpg]

[attachment=410959:Simmons_3.jpg]

[attachment=410960:Simmons_4.jpg]

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Does it increase the steering effort much?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The extra steering effort is minimal, in fact I think it is about the same......After 150 mi on saturday in all kinds of riding my arms weren't tired, except for digging it and three other sleds out of some really deep ---4 ft powder....At 64 its not as easy as it use to be......The wider skis and the shape of the bottom actually tends to lift the skis by forcing the snow under and between the two underside rails........I was supprised how well they worked and how they floated on the z1.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Ok, Moose finally put my old set on the Z1, and they worked great. I did add 6" carbides compared to the stock 4" that I tried on my old F7, and these worked great. My wife even noticed the difference when she rode my sled. ( she heard some noises on her's and I told her not to worry just ice chucks) I'm happy with them on my sled!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear they work well for you......now that I have about 700 mi on the new Z1 and the Simmons Gen 2 I like them more every time I ride especially in powder. I sometimes think they may steer a little harder going slow......went for a ride this weekend where my grand daughter ---at 13 drove my old 1991 EXT 60 mi.......the good news is she did a great job, the bad news is she drove at 20 mph most of the way, and I thought the Z1 steered a little hard at times on packed rough trails. The next couple of days my sons and did some hard riding 40 to 70mph for a couple of hundred miles and they worked Great especially hitting deep wash-outs-----this is where this sled really shines.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Say Cat-Man is that a mountain strap on your handle bars------if so how do you like it, as I have found the Z1 a little harder to manuver in deep snow 2 to 4 ft when gong slow in tight trees---a strap may be a great addition----where did you get it...thanks

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Say Cat-Man is that a mountain strap on your handle bars------if so how do you like it, as I have found the Z1 a little harder to manuver in deep snow 2 to 4 ft when gong slow in tight trees---a strap may be a great addition----where did you get it...thanks[/b]

sorry didn't see your reply, not for me, that way when I ride with my son he can hang on that. And it is a Power Madd and I got it from my dealer but you can get those all over.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I will look into....great Idea for the future sledders of America....I broke my three sons in to sledding years ago....the problem is now I have a tough time keeping up with them as they are now between 36 and 40 but I have a new bunch of grand children to break in---what a great joy!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mind if I ask where you got the Gen2's and how much they were?

Thanks![/b]
I called Simmons they gave me the info on the Gen2's and they can sell to you at list, but I asked my dealer to order them. I believe the cost was $440 with 4 inch carbides plus shipping which the dealer covered. Awsome skis especially if you ride in backcountry off groomed trails--they really keep the sled up on the snow........I think they may steer a little harder in tight fast woods riding...but they really hang tight in corners....if you ride groomed trails, I would stay with the Gen 1 ---6inch wide...my son has those on his ZR 800 and also likes them a lot more than the stock skis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts