Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we're all talking about how people are riding their sled either in the center and not on the right hand side of the trail and also about speed.
My question is:
Do we need to have a set number or limited the CC on certain trails so operators can handle their sled?
Should we pay registration by the CC's of a sled?
Say one fee for up to 600 CC - then between 700 and 900 another and over 1000 a higher one???
Let's hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You must not have a sled over 600cc's, right?

Every sled made (even a freestyle) can be ridden over the speed that a particular trail can handle or 55 mph (whichever is lower). Most accidents are caused due to lack of common sense and people over-riding their abilities. It really doesn't matter what size an engine is, IMO. Until someone does a complete study of all accidents with motor sizes listed, noone can make that judgement that the higher cc sleds are the ones on the wrong side of the trail or getting in the most accidents.

·
Mr. Part Time-On Line
35,159 Posts
You must not have a sled over 600cc's, right?

Every sled made (even a freestyle) can be ridden over the speed that a particular trail can handle or 55 mph (whichever is lower). Most accidents are caused due to lack of common sense and people over-riding their abilities. It really doesn't matter what size an engine is, IMO. Until someone does a complete study of all accidents with motor sizes listed, noone can make that judgement that the higher cc sleds are the ones on the wrong side of the trail or getting in the most accidents.[/b]
I coundn't agree more with the above statement...............

Big bore sleds don't kill people.......... people kill people........... Its no different than guns....... they don't fire themsevles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i agree with supersonic.i could kill my self just as fast on a Z370 as I can on a mach z 1000.Its whether your a smart rider or not[/b]

I also agree. People just need to have common sence and not ride over there heads.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dose not matter what I ride but for the record I had sleds 600+ and yes I did a bone head thing and hit a rock with a triple touring 600 a few back :wall: now I just down sized to a Sabercat 500 ( wish I went to the 600) and with my getting up there in age I know my limits.
Just want to see how other people feel about it as we are getting more families (or trying to get more) and with some of the idiots out there riding trying to prove they are superman.
I was just looking for input.
Can't agree more with the above posts it's not always the size of the sled but the person operating it.
When I see our magazines show them jumping all over the place I wonder if this is the way to promote our sport.
Like I said I'm an Old Timer who has come up thru the years of riding and seen quite a bit. Like to be around for a long time and hope to have my granddaughters enjoy this sport before it get ruined by those that don't care for anyone but themselves.
Please keep your input coming.
I can handle it being pointed out I don't ride a 600+.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dose not matter what I ride but for the record I had sleds 600+ and yes I did a bone head thing and hit a rock with a triple touring 600 a few back :wall: now I just down sized to a Sabercat 500 ( wish I went to the 600) and with my getting up there in age I know my limits.
Just want to see how other people feel about it as we are getting more families (or trying to get more) and with some of the idiots out there riding trying to prove they are superman.
I was just looking for input.
Can't agree more with the above posts it's not always the size of the sled but the person operating it.
When I see our magazines show them jumping all over the place I wonder if this is the way to promote our sport.
Like I said I'm an Old Timer who has come up thru the years of riding and seen quite a bit. Like to be around for a long time and hope to have my granddaughters enjoy this sport before it get ruined by those that don't care for anyone but themselves.
Please keep your input coming.
I can handle it being pointed out I don't ride a 600+.[/b]

THe topic of CC's came up in discussions I was having with the NYSSA trail co-ordinator in email, its ironic that this just came up here today. The day they put a limit on CC is the day I give up riding and move to another country.

I agree that there are a lot of idiots out there but CC isnt always the reason for accidents, guys on 440's can go just as fast as a 700. So CC wont do much when sleds are becoming more powerful. The big issue is riding without any idea of how to ride a new hp sled for instance. A rider that goes out at night and overrides his headlights. People riding unfamiliar trails. We just need to get all the guys and girls out there to learn how to ride properly, and safely.

I wonder how many of these injured riders, actually took a rider safety course, or was taught how to ride safely. My bet is most have no idea how to handle the machines they own, and think they are all Tucker Hibbert or Blair Morgan.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As for increased registration fees for larger CC's.. Only way I would ever support them taking more of our hard earned money for larger CC machines, is that a better program for getting the money out there to the local clubs is implement. I am tired of the idea that the increased fees just get eaten up in administration costs.

Ill pay higher..... But I will be happy to write the check to my local club.

·
Registered
847 Posts
dumbest idea ever. I hope this wasn't presented to the NYSSA.

Thats like charging me more because I hunt with a 12 gage shotgun instead of a 20 gage.

I am more concerned with New York not having a 3 day weekend pass for visitors.

I also want to know with the last 2 years of the increased fee's and horrible winters, where the hell is the surplus going.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great input from you guys and keep them coming.
It seems we all agree it's the operator and not the amount of CC causing accidents.
I'm not in favor of increased fees either and yes where is all the money going?
RIDING OLD FORGE AND PAYING A PERMIT FEE AND THEN HAVE THE ROADS TO THE TRAIL PLOWED???

·
Registered
911 Posts

Thats like charging me more because I hunt with a 12 gage shotgun instead of a 20 gage.

I also want to know with the last 2 years of the increased fee's and horrible winters, where the hell is the surplus going.[/b]

It has not been presented and I for one would vote against it. I equate it to my Sports Car-it is chip limited to 155 MPH from the factory-that doesn't mean that I run it at the limit. Same with sleds-I have a 1000 cc sled/150 hp. Doesn't mean I run it at full speed-the fatality in Pembroke right befroe Christams was a Phaser (500cc). I don't think cc's make a difference-I think it's the guy slamming the flipper.......

·
Registered
594 Posts
we are already penalized for cc's the FIRST question my insurance agent asked when i called to get insurance was "how many cc's is it?"

i agree that it is the brainiac behind the flipper most of the time!

·
Registered
107 Posts
we are already penalized for cc's the FIRST question my insurance agent asked when i called to get insurance was "how many cc's is it?"

i agree that it is the brainiac behind the flipper most of the time![/b]

Its funny you mention CC's with the insurance. When I renewed with my state farm agent she asked me if it was still the 700 i wanted full coverage on. when we were doing a rate quote i asked her to put in the cossfire 6 and ya know...it was only like 11 dollars a year diffferant. yes it is a little more....but really that isnt a lot considereing if I total the machine my crossfire 7 was a lot more then the 6. I guess it is more relative to the cost for the machine.

Not sure what you guys pay but full coverage was around $220 bucks. liability only was $45.00

·
Registered
46 Posts

I also want to know with the last 2 years of the increased fee's and horrible winters, where the hell is the surplus going.[/b]
due to increased trail miles higher fuel costs and less sleds being registartions there isn't a surplus

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think all snowmobilers should take a Class just like Boaters and Jetskis now for all ages.. I would consider myself a Great Rider who loggs over 1200 miles a season But would take a Training course

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think all snowmobilers should take a Class just like Boaters and Jetskis now for all ages.. I would consider myself a Great Rider who loggs over 1200 miles a season But would take a Training course[/b]
I agree with you RevX440. I have been riding for years and still learn new things. Like you I would take the course.

Do you think that this sport has come to this point? Requiring a safety class for all riders?

I dont think its a bad idea, but how will it affect the sport. How would it be policed. How would it be phased in. Can you imagine all the trail stops if they determined this could be an increase to the revenue stream? :cussing: I guarantee that money wouldnt go into trail programs. It would end up being sucked away some how. If your required to lets say have a class before you can register.... then the registrations will go down. Allready the registrations after Dec. 11th dont count towards club funding. Can you imagine people that cant get a class in time and are still scrambling in late decemebr or january..... I dont know.

Will this be another administration drain on the existing funds?

Lots of questions....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with you RevX440. I have been riding for years and still learn new things. Like you I would take the course.

Do you think that this sport has come to this point? Requiring a safety class for all riders?

I dont think its a bad idea, but how will it affect the sport. How would it be policed. How would it be phased in. Can you imagine all the trail stops if they determined this could be an increase to the revenue stream? :cussing: I guarantee that money wouldnt go into trail programs. It would end up being sucked away some how. If your required to lets say have a class before you can register.... then the registrations will go down. Allready the registrations after Dec. 11th dont count towards club funding. Can you imagine people that cant get a class in time and are still scrambling in late decemebr or january..... I dont know.

Will this be another administration drain on the existing funds?

Lots of questions....[/b]

In NYS the age was 18 to not require a Boaters Course, Now all Ages have to take the class to get the Card to operate a Waverunner in NYS weather they live in NY or not... A single 8 hour course for $40 like boating to help prevent crashes...

Why Must everybody take a Road test to Drive a Car but Nobody needs skills to ride a sled???

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just took my granddaughter for her safety course in November and took it myself. Was in my opinion a good refresher.

Got back a little while ago tonight from taking a course in my Fire Departing for Emergency Vehicle Operations.

With everyone out there wanting to sue for any accident it dose not hurt to that one of these courses.

Drive safe and Think Snow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts