Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heading to west yellowstone for 3 days riding in the beginning of feb. planning one day in park , two days out would like to put together some scenic long rides at least 200 miles per day any suggestions . guide necessary out of park? are trails marked well? maps available? I can get around fine with a map but sometimes here in the northeast things arent marked correctly i want to be able to find stuf like two top etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Guides are required in the park but not outside, but if you want one, they can be hired. The trails are well marked, at least on the Montana side they are. If you are gonna stay on the trails then ya there are maps that show everything pretty well...imo stay away from Lions Head. Even if ur not off playin on the hills in that area its still scary because its not if its gonna slide, but when and i cant remember if it has yet this year or not. But for more info about lodging and park days and trails call call Yellowstone Adventures or go to http://www.snowtracks.com/montana/westyellowstone.htm, it seems to have some good info. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rode West Yellowstone last week. One day in the Park and 3 days around Montana and Idaho. Great time. We did the big loop in the park, 130 miles with a great guide. Dave at Travelers Snowmobile was our guide, across from Days Inn where we stayed. We rented RMK 600s and rode on well marked and groomed trails. The rental company will give you a map. We did do Lions Head trail with out problems. We rode the Two Top Loop 3 days with out coming out of the clouds at the top. Will have to go back just for the view next year. :biggrin: Did big loops in all areas. Horse Butte trail has a great view and many snow bowls to play in. Enos bar is in that area, ask someone how to get there. Pick your own steak from the cooler and cook it your self in the grill room. Eat and drink in the bar, great people. Was one of many highlights for the trip. In West, Bullwinkle's, 3 bear restaurant, The Orion line at the Holiday Inn all had great food and bars. As for 200 mile day trips. With all the time stopping and taking in the views, stopping and playing in all the snow fields, glades and snow bowls, watching the wildlife, eating lunch in great bars and getting use to the altitude. West is around 6000 ft. and most of the trails go to 8000 and 9000 ft or better. The best we could do was 80 miles a day. It felt like 200 to this flat-lander. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
we are planning a trip for 4 days.. Would like to be in the park for 1 and half days 2 days out and 1 half day in on the last day.. We are thinking of staying at the West yellowstone Holiday inn.. We would like a guide for outside the park too.. I would like to do some small climbing NOTHING MAJOR AT ALL and finding a open medow for my mom.. She isnt too experience but can handle the trails and want to give her some experience of powder.. So if you have any ideas let me know.. WE WILL STAY OUT OF LIONS HEAD !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts