Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im looking at a 15 Pro s 800 and I was searching for year by year changes/updates this chassis/engine had. My parents have 18 Pro S 800s and I just love the GPS on the dash so that is one of the main reasons Im looking to upgrade. That and my brother will buy my 11 Pro R 800 since his budget is lower than mine.

Anyway I was curious what the year by year changes are on this chassis? Since the 15 is the first year for the axys is this one to stay away from? Are there really that many changes and updates from this 15 im looking at to the 18s my parents have?
Any other advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Hey guys Im looking at a 15 Pro s 800 and I was searching for year by year changes/updates this chassis/engine had. My parents have 18 Pro S 800s and I just love the GPS on the dash so that is one of the main reasons Im looking to upgrade. That and my brother will buy my 11 Pro R 800 since his budget is lower than mine.

Anyway I was curious what the year by year changes are on this chassis? Since the 15 is the first year for the axys is this one to stay away from? Are there really that many changes and updates from this 15 im looking at to the 18s my parents have?
Any other advice is much appreciated.
Thanks!
18 began the head and t stat change. one of the best improvements. mine ran 99 degrees all day. they rip at those temps.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
They improved the above , and programming etc. the newer the better. I personally would not but a 15 . The 18s and newer are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
my 18 xcr was wicked fast. really nice not worrying about temps. pro r ran 125 most of the time, but would jump to the 130s quick and lose power soon after

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They improved the above , and programming etc. the newer the better. I personally would not but a 15 . The 18s and newer are pretty sweet.
What reasons besides the t stat and head would you pass on a 15? I cant find any 18s in my price range. I am willing to drive a far distance if it means getting a newer sled at about the same price as the 15 I am looking at. He has the 15 listed at 8k with 3500 miles. I know its a high asking price and id offer less but its a 1 owner spotless anniversary edition with about 2 to 3k worth of extras.
Last fall i found my parents 2 2018 pro s 800s with just under 2000 miles for 8500 each. If i could find another one of those for around that price i would probably go that route but this one has almost all the things id do already done.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,473 Posts
my 18 xcr was wicked fast. really nice not worrying about temps. pro r ran 125 most of the time, but would jump to the 130s quick and lose power soon after
Love my '18 XCR Switchback, thing runs great and almost always stays below 110 temp. Its going to get a longevity test this year, as the backup to my '21, and the sled my kid will most likely ride. It has 8400 miles and I'm going to see how far she goes this year! I'll get a brand new long block done when the time comes.

@XCRacer440 - Prices are obviously crazy but if you want one, and that 3500 mile one has a ton of extras its probably a pretty good deal right now.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
What reasons besides the t stat and head would you pass on a 15? I cant find any 18s in my price range. I am willing to drive a far distance if it means getting a newer sled at about the same price as the 15 I am looking at. He has the 15 listed at 8k with 3500 miles. I know its a high asking price and id offer less but its a 1 owner spotless anniversary edition with about 2 to 3k worth of extras.
Last fall i found my parents 2 2018 pro s 800s with just under 2000 miles for 8500 each. If i could find another one of those for around that price i would probably go that route but this one has almost all the things id do already done.
i think 15s suffered from "fade" more so than later years. plenty of info on here about that.

·
Premium Member
18,640 Posts
The 2015 Pro-S 800 SB is a fine sled. I owned one for 4700 miles. Don't worry about the low temp head and T-Stat.
Just make sure it isn't one of those that exhibited the dreaded "fade". The first year sleds had problems with TPS calibration. Easily solved if you need to recalibrate it.

·
Registered
2011 Rush Pro R 800
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I typed in 2015 axys fade and didnt see anything related other than a thread that said the fade causes the DET sensor to go off? Is this just solved by calibrating the TPS 1 time and is good to go after patriotic?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I’m later years they changed the pto crank seal , I believe they tweaked the piston design , the fitting where the coolant comes out by exhaust valves on the 15s was later changed. The 15s were hit or miss on performance with piston rings losing tension , throttle bodies that didn’t open all the way , throttle bodies that did t orientate with tps correctly , capacitor failures ,and the newer the better as far as ecu programming goes. I’m a fan of the polaris 800ho and proxc chassis just not the 15s. I do know some guys who had good ones but I know to many that didn’t break down per say but just weren’t right. I don’t know if anybody personally that had any issue with 18 and newer. If you ride a 15 and say a 20 back to back you would think they are different sleds. Me and buddies get new sleds every year or 2 years usually . I’ve personally had a 15 and a 17 the 17 was better. The guys who missed 17 and got 18 or 19 sleds were blown away . Most of the guys I ride with who had 15s bought 16s to get rid of the 15.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
same here
I’m later years they changed the pto crank seal , I believe they tweaked the piston design , the fitting where the coolant comes out by exhaust valves on the 15s was later changed. The 15s were hit or miss on performance with piston rings losing tension , throttle bodies that didn’t open all the way , throttle bodies that did t orientate with tps correctly , capacitor failures ,and the newer the better as far as ecu programming goes. I’m a fan of the polaris 800ho and proxc chassis just not the 15s. I do know some guys who had good ones but I know to many that didn’t break down per say but just weren’t right. I don’t know if anybody personally that had any issue with 18 and newer. If you ride a 15 and say a 20 back to back you would think they are different sleds. Me and buddies get new sleds every year or 2 years usually . I’ve personally had a 15 and a 17 the 17 was better. The guys who missed 17 and got 18 or 19 sleds were blown away . Most of the guys I ride with who had 15s bought 16s to get rid of the 15.
. stickdude bought a 15, fade was ridiculous. he has been on a doo since. when it ran it was great , and when it faded it was a dog.
in the middle of the vid we are drag racing on the woodgate strip. 2 out of 3 he kills me. then the fade comes and i go right by
then you can see what the 18 did the xrs 850
buy an 18

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
That was a good one. He could have gotten the ones that wouldnt rev. When warmed up some even cold when they got about 500 miles on them. Some never did. (Remember alll the “you need a new belt and you guys don’t know to set up a cvt) “ lol. My personal 15 had all the issues. Not just one of them. To bad too becsue that 15 prox 137. Is my favorite chassis still to date.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Internally they are about the same. The 15 coolant fittings going into the cylinder were pressed in and some popped out. 16 and up they changed the design where those fitting were screwed into the cylinder to solve that. 18 had the better T-stat setup.

I see plenty of 15 pros 800s on the snow. Including a guy I ride with. They were pretty good sleds.

·
Premium Member
18,640 Posts
I typed in 2015 axys fade and didnt see anything related other than a thread that said the fade causes the DET sensor to go off? Is this just solved by calibrating the TPS 1 time and is good to go after patriotic?
Yes. Many of my fellow riders and customers rode the 2015 800 AXYS sleds. A few had the fade issue caused mostly by the TPS being miscalibrated. DET sensor was sometimes over tightened and would become too sensitive. Read my lengthy thread about this sled.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
yup crank seals where updated in 18 models on clutch side mine had a bad one at 1900 miles would foul a plug every time i went dont a good size hill and just got worse

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 800 129", 2019 Indy 850 129", 2011 IQ Turbo 121"
2,894 Posts
I agree about the T-stat being a big upgrade, but that can be put on the '15 too. The ECM calibration improved every year, so the newer you can get, the better. Piston quality improved as well, but you'll want to open the motor and swap pistons by about 5K miles anyway. One other thing I saw with my own '15 was that one of the ring gaps was "dangerously" close to one of the transfer port openings in one of the cylinder bores. The other side was fine. The ring was starting to wear its way down into the transfer port and would have eventually snagged the port. I had the cylinder replated to "reset the clock" so to speak. I know of another '15 that went down because of a snagged ring. It was a snowcheck, so the owner got a full repair under warranty. I don't know the details, but wonder if it was the same problem. I don't know if the issue was just a "bad" cylinder or if it was corrected in later years. I bought a Bullydog with a flash from Bikeman for my '15. The "premium" tune was their own, the "ethanol" tune was basically a copy of the '17 factory calibration. That made a big difference with my '15 in improving running quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts