Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 sxr700 and the previous owner gave me his extra oil. The problem is he had both kinds of yamalube. Is one preferable over the other? And can I use either to top off the oil tank as I ride? Will they mix ok? Sled is going to be a trail sled. Once these are gone I will stick with whichever is best. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
yamalube never let me down 20,000 mi on it . it will all work 2s is 2s green in color if i remember right got a new case of 4 gal in shop for my 700 xtc the 700 red head runs forever keep the fuel fresh no water and oil tank full nice sled yamaha's have the best hand warmers made

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the reply. So mixing the 2s and 2r should be fine? have heard and read a lot of good things on these machines and the triple motors. It sat a couple years so I just had the carb’s gone through. It has 5800 miles and 140-145 compression across all three cylinders hopefully I have a lot of fun miles with it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
2r will mix but costs 2x the price of 2 s its for racing dirtbikes use it in mine. ya keep your fuel clean and dry very small pilot jets, super reliable , i love yamaha's . being that i live in Chicago a lot Citco Makes All yamaha's Oil .i know A Guy Who Works There .

·
Registered
521 Posts
Mystik JT-4 oil is the same as Yamalube 2s...Can be had at times when on sale @ Farm n Fleet for $12.99 per Gallon...:bc:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
it will forever if ya treat it right summer preventive maintenance is a big part of a long life as well as storage habits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, one thing I did notice that I am just getting back to is the oil usage compared to my friends 2002 Arctic Cat ZL600 FI. We would stop and fuel up and I would have to add a lot more oil than he did. Like in the 700 miles I added 2-3 more quarts than he did. I just checked my oil injector cable gap and it is at .937". The manual says it should be at max .937". I believe the larger the gap equates to the less oil used. What does everyone think? Plugs did not foul but friends behind me said it smelled oil rich......

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thats a great sled, redhead 700 is a bullitproof engine. I also run mystic in mine. Those compression #s tell me that someone has peeled the headgasket, so i would not run anything less than 91 octane in it. I use 93 when i can

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think the stock setting for the oil pump cable gap is 20mm, or 3/4 inch. I can check my manual tomorrow.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just a heads up for piece of mind...The Yamaha oil injection system has a fail safe built into it...If it ever malfunctions, the pump goes into a FULL RICH mode so you don't burndown the motor...Ask me how I know...lol...:bc:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the stock setting for the oil pump cable gap is 20mm, or 3/4 inch. I can check my manual tomorrow.
Ok, so quick follow up question. The larger the gap in the injector setting mean it is leaner or richer in oil?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts