Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking out the jackshaft on my 99 VMAX 700sx in order to replace the bearings, and I'm kind of stuck on getting the brake disc off. The manual very helpfully says "remove the brake disc collar", referring to the spacer-type thing with no set screws that sits up against the brake disk on the jackshaft. How am I supposed to remove this thing? It's perfectly smooth, can't get behind it cuz it sits right up against the brake disc, and seems to be very stuck on there. Only thing I can think of is to get out the 3 jaw puller and yank the brake disc off with it, but I'm afraid of warping/damaging the disc if I do that. Anyone have any tricks to get this sucker off? Am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cut it with a chisel or a grinder and order a new one?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Look at a parts drawing of it from the Yamaha sled website, or service manual
and see whats holding the pins on......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I can tell, there should be nothing holding it in place that I haven't already removed. The service manual simply says "remove the brake disc collar" and has a grainy black and white picture of it, and no other mention of it anywhere else. I know there is a snap ring under there somewhere, but according to the manual this collar must be removed first in order to access it. Visibly I can't see anything that looks like it would be holding it on there, other than corrosion. It looks like the previous owner of this sled may have stored it outside with no cover a little too often, as many of the parts are rusted/corroded. I'm looking on Babbits to see if I can find a better diagram than the one in the service manual, but I can't seem to find this particular part on any of there diagrams (or maybe it's labeled differently and I can't figure out which one it is).

I do worry a little about cutting it off and replacing, partly because I can't find the part to replace it with, and partly because I don't want to accidentally damage the jackshaft itself when I'm cutting.

Is it maybe possible to replace the clutch-side jackshaft bearing without removing the entire jackshaft? Has anyone done that before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe smack it with a brass punch and a hammer. If it's stuck on but meant to be a slip fit, that might be all that is needed to shock it loose.
Hard to tell from the picture but is it only like 3/8” thick and the other part is part of the brake rotor? If so can you try a chisel at the parting line? Heat it up with a torch and keep the shaft cool with cold wet rags?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe smack it with a brass punch and a hammer. If it's stuck on but meant to be a slip fit, that might be all that is needed to shock it loose.
Hard to tell from the picture but is it only like 3/8” thick and the other part is part of the brake rotor? If so can you try a chisel at the parting line? Heat it up with a torch and keep the shaft cool with cold wet rags?

Yes, that's the part. A chisel might just do the trick, I will try that after work and report back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was able to get that collar off with a chisel and hammer. Guess it just needed a good jolt.

A note for anyone looking at this in the future though, you don't actually need to remove the collar or brake disc to get the clutch-side jackshaft bearing off. You just need to undo the nuts in the bearing mount and you can slide the jackshaft towards the chaincase side to lift the jackshaft enough to get clearance for a 3 jaw puller. The chaincase does need to be removed though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was able to get that collar off with a chisel and hammer. Guess it just needed a good jolt.

A note for anyone looking at this in the future though, you don't actually need to remove the collar or brake disc to get the clutch-side jackshaft bearing off. You just need to undo the nuts in the bearing mount and you can slide the jackshaft towards the chaincase side to lift the jackshaft enough to get clearance for a 3 jaw puller. The chaincase does need to be removed though.
Thanks for the update

1 - 9 of 9 Posts