Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some Xtra 10 front fox shocks for my 94 XLT and had the full intention of replacing the radius rods trailing arms and all steering components. I set a set of Xtra 10 trailing arms next to mine and were identical.So I slapped one of the shocks in with the old guts and it fits fine. I have heard something about the skis will try to fold in or something to that effect but when I did the alignement on it every thing looks fine. Question is will the stock trailing arms or radius rods buckle or is this going to last?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
The longer radius and tie rods is what gives the "10" inches of travel. The Radius arms are close, with the only difference being in the angle that the rear pivot is welded on. Xtra is welded slightly angled to allow the stance to be wider. The arms will work on there until you can find the rest of the componets or ride as is. I went through the same thing last spring...

·
Registered
215 Posts
What year/model range of front suspension would be an upgrade for a '94 XLT, up from the stock front end? Any year Xtra-10? I know it'll never be an '07 Polaris but I'd like to make it handle (jump, etc) as good as it can. Currently my sled has Fox shocks in the front, Simmons ski's but the rest of the front suspension is stock. The rear has an Xtra-10 on it with full Holz suspension, 133 (I think) rear track.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The longer radius and tie rods is what gives the "10" inches of travel. The Radius arms are close, with the only difference being in the angle that the rear pivot is welded on. Xtra is welded slightly angled to allow the stance to be wider. The arms will work on there until you can find the rest of the componets or ride as is. I went through the same thing last spring...

[/b]
What year of front end xtra-10 parts are you guys talking about that you used? Is it 96 by chance? Because judging by the picture, if those are your new parts, they are from a 96 and likely and not "true xtra-10" 96 was an in-between year and did not have true extra 10.....in the back yes, but not the front...which is given by the fact that the shocks are basically the same length as the year before, except for one or two sleds (ultra i think and something else) which had about 8.4" instead of the 9.5" which started in 97. The true xtra-10 in 97 also had the sway bar mounted on the inside of the trailing arm, not on top like 96 (and previous years for that matter) like in your picture. The shocks for 97 up xtra 10 are much longer (about 2 inches).

The reason i say all this is that i am current adding the full xtra-10 front to mine and already have the longer radius rods and new trailing arms on and the shocks won't fit without compressing them almost an inch because they are so much longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is not completely true about the '96 Xtra 10. The short track sleds did not come with the "true" Xtra 10, but the SKS models DID. There are a few different web pages, and looking through the parts fiche, that verify this. Plus, I just picked up a '96 Indy 500 SKS this fall for my wife/relatives/friends to ride, and after the first ride this year, we noticed it needed new shocks. I took the original (w/4000 miles) Gabriel gas shocks off, and they measure 16 1/2" eye to eye when off the sled. I was able to replace them with some used Fox of off an '02 600 XC SP that had variable rate springs on it. Combined with plastic skis with the dual runner carbide from an '04 SKS, and the old Indy 500 rides and steers pretty well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That is not completely true about the '96 Xtra 10. The short track sleds did not come with the "true" Xtra 10, but the SKS models DID. There are a few different web pages, and looking through the parts fiche, that verify this. Plus, I just picked up a '96 Indy 500 SKS this fall for my wife/relatives/friends to ride, and after the first ride this year, we noticed it needed new shocks. I took the original (w/4000 miles) Gabriel gas shocks off, and they measure 16 1/2" eye to eye when off the sled. I was able to replace them with some used Fox of off an '02 600 XC SP that had variable rate springs on it. Combined with plastic skis with the dual runner carbide from an '04 SKS, and the old Indy 500 rides and steers pretty well.[/b]
Yeah, that rings a bell with the SKS's. I new it was only a few.

Question for you though, when you removed/installed the front shocks on the xtra-10, did you have to compress them to get them in?

thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I did not have to compress the shock to remove or to install. I lifted the sled under the bellypan with a floor jack, and the suspension at full droop allowed the shock to just drop right out. In fact, when I put the shocks back on, I had to lift the trailing arm/ski up a little bit for the bolt to go through on the bottom shock mount. This held true for the stock Gabriels, and the replacement Fox shocks, which were the identical length.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts