Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...i had some trouble last season getting my sled started, running anything over 80, and some bogging issues.

I think I figured the bogging issue was was due to an old worn out clutch.....

I think that i may have now nailed down the problem with the starting issues and low top speed. My compression is PTO-90-90-92-Chaincase.

Now to me, that seems really low. It seems like they should be a minimum of like 115, right??? or am i just smoking crack??

If it is too low, what do i do to rectify it? Just rings, or is there something else??

Thanks for any help!!
Scott

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*sigh*

If it were only that easy.....

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Depends on if your gauge is accurate, but anything below 100 is too low. Should be 120 or so. You would have to measure the piston to cyl wall clearance to see if the pistons have collapsed, to know if you need a rebore or just rings. I would guess rebore if it hasn't been done yet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you are going to redue the topend I would check the crackshaft. I was planning the same rebuld on my xlt, but checked the crank had a connecting rod that was bad and a bearings on pto side. Xlt have a very bad tendency for the cranks to go bad. just might save you in the long run to check rather having to tear the engine down again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Before you tear it down I have one question. Did you hold the throttle wide open when you did your compression check. That would affect your results. Just a thought.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope...sure didn't. just attached the gauge, and pulled it over a few times..

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
You don't need to hold the throttle open, just pull it over quickly, and keep doing so until the gauge does not go any higher.

·
Registered
942 Posts
is it not odd they are so close together on readings. if engine worn would not one of 3 cylinders be off by a greater amount? if not a quality gauge possibly still A OK.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol...well its a moot point, now. I picked up a different sled and dumped that one... :)

It needed a lot of work other than that, so i figured it would be money better spent on a new (to me) one than fixing up that one.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts