Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 XLT 600 Triple. I changed the Primary spring to red and the weights to 10m blue. I changed the secondary helix to the one I found listed on this web site (can't remember the exact numbers right now. I think it was something like 38-43-36 but not sure). Sled now gets off the line perfect but it idles around 3500 after you ride a bit and it tops out at 8200 and about 65 or 70 MPH. What is happening? Is it running out of fuel? What do I need to adjust to bring the top end performance back up there?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Any red spring is not right for it. You want either a polaris blue, epi white or black, or hot seat white. Weights should be 10M5. You also need to know what helix it is. It should end in 34. Also the spring should be red and in #2 tensioned properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any red spring is not right for it. You want either a polaris blue, epi white or black, or hot seat white. Weights should be 10M5. You also need to know what helix it is. It should end in 34. Also the spring should be red and in #2 tensioned properly.[/b]

O.K. here is what I did per suggested on this website. I used a Polaris red spring, 10M Blue Weights, Stock secondary spring and a helix with 42/38/34 ramp profile. I also removed the panel in the air box to open it up to more air. The sled does exactly what i want off the line now but it seemes to just run out of top end. It also has an elivated idle when riding it around. Another thing I noticed is that is smells hot when I ride it as if it is running lean. I am wondering if the carbs need bigger main jets or of I need to adjust the needles. I did notice that the carbs are not syncronized to each other but I can fix that. All the mods I did were done by others on this website and they said adjust jetting accordingly. So what does accordingly mean????
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
If it is jetted stock, you should not need to rejet. If it has been jetted leaner already, you will need to jet richer. Make sure the vent hoses are ran properly. That primary clutch combo does not work in my experience, but I do not know everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is jetted stock, you should not need to rejet. If it has been jetted leaner already, you will need to jet richer. Make sure the vent hoses are ran properly. That primary clutch combo does not work in my experience, but I do not know everything.[/b]
Sounds like my weights are good and the secondary helix is fine but I need to change the primary Spring to one of the ones you suggested and check the position of the spring on the seconday helix? Which primary spring do you think would be the best choice with what I have so far??
I really appreciate your help and time with this.
Really all I wanted to do is get rid of the slight bog when you first take off by pushing the rpm's into a range where the motor has more power. What I changed did do that but I am sacrificing top end for it. So now I am looking for the happy medium between the best take off and the top end performance.
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
The epi white, if you do not want 5000 rpm engage, but you need to go back to stock 10M5 weights as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The epi white, if you do not want 5000 rpm engage, but you need to go back to stock 10M5 weights as well.[/b]

Thanks Man. I will give it a try hopefully even this weekend. Thanks for the help I will let you know how it works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts