Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on this sled, good trail sled, how is the steering effort, performance? Found a super low mile 2014 thinking of getting for the wife.

thanks Brent

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
They are great reliable sleds.
The 129 and 137 is only 4"difference on the snow so it's a non issue for being considered a long track... not like the 121 vs 136 days for sure.

I run a 19 998 turbo 137 and have for many years now and have never thought I wish it was a 129 that's for sure.

The 1049 Nitro motor is very solid.

There was a starter kick back issue but it should have been updated by now on that 14.

Have your local cat dealer run the vin for known updates. That would be the best thing to do.

Performance: its good.
It's a 135hp 4 stroke so its not like the turbos that's for sure but they are quick out of the gate, great trail cruising speeds and top out at about 90-95ish at best.

My wifes 2014 7000 has approx
10,000 miles on it now and it's been a great sled for her.
Tight twisty slow going trails is the only time you'd notice the front end weight really. Especially on a very cold trails are rock solid morning.
Logging/ fire roads is where it shine.

What's it have for mileage on it?
Is it a Limited Edition build?
Special graphics, Fox float shocks, Goggle bag, heated seat etc?

Keep us in the loop.

Good luck.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent via my US Cellular rotary dial device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I owned a 2014 XF7000 for 6500 miles. Sold it cheap because it was exhibiting signs of tight valves.
This is not the Yamaha 1049cc engine of the past. Valves will need adjusting way before the service interval suggests.
Mine did not start well when cold even with upgraded relays. -10f degrees needed a heat gun until coolant was in the plus degree range.
This sled will be 100lbs heavier than a 2 stroke. Steering effort will depend upon the sled being set up to the riders weight.
Mine handled well, but nothing compared to my current ZR6000.
The XF7000 had a very nice, linear power band. It's a 20mph - 70mph machine like the 600 2 strokes.
Very smooth, nice sound, and great pull when running as it should.
The XF7000m has mechanical reverse that will fail unless it has already been upgraded.
The Float 3 shocks are fine, but need attention to rider weight adjustments.
Once I knew the pressure sweet spot, I only checked 2-3 times per season. They were always spot on.
Rebuilding all 4 shocks, at Fox, will be around $400.00 plus shipping. This should be done seasonally.
The heated seat will fail. No really fix other than replacement element. It will fail again.
I did like the ride, handling, a smooth pull of the XF7000.
Not starting when cold, premature tight valves, and the extra 100lbs persuaded me to return to 2 stroke.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I enjoyed my 2015, but there are a bunch of upgrades /changes from the first yr 14's and up
so ,you might want to read up on the differences and then take there costs to add to the sled, to see if its still a great deal or not?

changes are nothing major , but there are changes and there have been several computer updates that had to be done by dealers, free at the time, but gather now if needed doing they will maybe charge for!, that is IF you want them done!
here is a great read on this sled and even yr for you

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One owner 175 miles, yes 175! It was purchased as a left over and only ridden a few times. Orange sno-pro no extras. Just concerned about the steering effort for the wife, but I’m sure I can get it adjusted for her.

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
A 6000 is cheaper to run over the long run. Find a member DVW and ask him the difference between his 2014 7000 he put well over 20k on and his 18 6000 on cost of owner ship. There is a reason why cat doesn’t sell the 7000. I have had 2 of them and they suck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed. For $2000.00 or less I Might roll the dice again.
More than that, knowing what I know now, I'd walk.
I forgot about the 4 ECU flashes the sled needed.
And the failed coolant fan.
I tried to love the sled. It just would not let me.
The first letter of the engine mfg should have been my first clue.
Y?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
One owner 175 miles, yes 175! It was purchased as a left over and only ridden a few times. Orange sno-pro no extras. Just concerned about the steering effort for the wife, but I’m sure I can get it adjusted for her.
SnowTracker runners work very well in the stock Cat skis.

Almost power steering like when set up properly.

I would suggest the semi aggressive set for the Mrs.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Well after reading all the bad reviews on the 7000 I'm amazed ours even runs.

Seriously, 10,000 miles, motor is rock solid, heated seat still works.
Starts just fine.

I can't imagine the mechanic is THAT good as I'M the mechanic and I'm obviously an idiot because I'd get another one for her when it's time to retire this one.

Just sayin.

Hopefully I didn't steer anyone wrong with my .02 cents.

It's been a great sled and it's a 14 limited.

This orange sled has more miles x3 than all others in this photo and still runs like a top.
The stock Cat clutch will most likely be replaced this summer to a Team just because I got a Tapp clutch for my 998.

Go figure.

Jeff B In Maine

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
I'm with you, I guess my 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre didn't get the memo saying it was junk:p. Put thousands of miles on it and have only replaced the battery. No cold start issues ( I replaced the relays) only one hot start issue (took two tries to start.
The engine is a torque monster and gets the same mileage as my 6000. I love this sled(y)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
think of long its been sitting they are not junk but hopefully its not for a reason good luck on whatever ya choose if it's a cat someone here knows what's up with it . i ride them from friends house to mine many times probably just spoiled from my sleds set up . same power just different delivery and sound , i'm sure i could adapt IF i had to give up my precious 2 strokes .

·
Registered
2014 ZR 6000 El Tigre, 2015 ZR 7000 El Tigre
339 Posts
Good for you. Some of them do have there quirks but so do lot's of other two strokes. As mentioned I have a 7000 and 6000 and love them both. Hope you get many years of trouble free riding.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
7000 mi on my 6 only issue was driveshaft and i knew i should fix it before it happened rest of maintenance i.e . pistons, clutch parts, wheel bearings , i just try to stay up on so i'm not down . i think you will enjoy it their just nose heavier than old smokeys .

·
Registered
757 Posts
Right on, good stuff. Check with an AC dealer to confirm the ECU load, might have to pay for an update as the 2019 update improved cold starting and reduces potential starter kickback which can be catastrophic. 2014 also had clutch weights that AC issued a bulletin on to change out to 60g because of overrev, so check that out.

·
Registered
20,649 Posts
Even with a bunch of clutch work they are still tanks. We did a bunch to ours and it ran mint and it was ok. My dads buddy that went way on beyond clutch work on and wanted to run my 14rr. Well my 14rr made it look silly. His older apex ran better. He now has a boosted winder that owns all. My dad got rid of is 7000 for a 800 Indy because they are that much better. The 7000 cat is a shitty snowmobile. I put miles on one. It sucks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts