Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris VR1 850 137
689 Posts
I think at this point in the season sending your shocks out is out of the question unless you don't want to ride anymore. So people need to dial in their suspension the best they can then send out in the off season to get valving done etc.... if necessary. What are people with experience running for starting points on their clickers? This will be my first sled with dual adjustments so not exactly sure what to start them at? Assuming I even get my XCR this season.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am not a suspension guru but I know when it doesn't work. I am just returning from a ride in the U.P.. We had two new xcrs, one new mxzx, and one 19 mxz xrs. I rode them all. My and my nephews xcrs bottomed excessively. Buy the end of the ride I had my rear shocks as stiff as they could go with springs set on high. I am 200 lbs. We do ride pretty hard so we are hitting the random wash outs at a pretty high pace. I felt my toe nails go through the top of my helmet more times than I can count. It also did horrible on the stutter bumps. Nephew had pretty much the same results. When I jumped on the ski doos they performed WAY better. What the hell am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?
Welcome to the XCR. So far my 20’ 21’ and the 22 I rode all bottomed fairly easy. I’m 175 riding weight and bottomed all of them more than they should. I’m beginning to think it’s the geometry of the skid. The more compression you throw at it or stiffer revalve, it rides like an empty dump truck everywhere else.

Doo seems to be able to get the best of both worlds, I’ll give them that.
Pfffttt! All complete bullshit posts. Lenn the Polaris Ambassador said when reviewing the ‘22 XCR that the suspension, “It’s perfect! Don’t change a thing.”

It’s obvious you guys aren’t riding the XCR the way it was intended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
If you turned the clickers full clockwise, you probably blew the shocks out. Never turn them full clockwise.
I went to the last solid click then stopped. If I pull the undercarriage out will I be able to tell if I blew the shock out?

·
Registered
596 Posts
The assault is a different animal. No coupling yet a very traditional 90s-2000's rear shock geometry. Spring on the shock. That's not all bad but it is given the geometry of this arrangement.

This rear suspension was: cost
reduction+weight target+make it good enough for it's intended purpose. It's not really a "trail" sled. It's made to get you to illegal off trail riding and to assault your spine on the trails back. Mission accomplished.
Problem with the IGX is the WE regular adjustable comp shocks. A friend owns a suspension shop (www.starsuspensions.com) and set about trying to stop it from doing its best bucking bronco imitation (which every IGX suspension equipped with said shocks does very well). After trying various valving and spring combos, he tore into the shocks to see what was going on (or, more specifically, why his valving set-ups were not working out as they should) and he uncovered a design flaw in the shock. He fixed it and reported that it totally transformed the IGX.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris VR1 850 137
689 Posts
Problem with the IGX is the WE regular adjustable comp shocks. A friend owns a suspension shop (www.starsuspensions.com) and set about trying to stop it from doing its best bucking bronco imitation (which every IGX suspension equipped with said shocks does very well). After trying various valving and spring combos, he tore into the shocks to see what was going on (or, more specifically, why his valving set-ups were not working out as they should) and he uncovered a design flaw in the shock. He fixed it and reported that it totally transformed the IGX.
Looks like they don't do Polaris suspension work?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I went to the last solid click then stopped. If I pull the undercarriage out will I be able to tell if I blew the shock out?
You would I have to pull the shocks. To see if they blew out nitrogen or don’t have enough etc If they blow out oil you can usually see it.

·
Registered
19 600 Switchback Assault
315 Posts
Sadly they still come with weak torsion springs like the XC. Same thing with skidoo. Everybody has to buy a set of Hd springs unless you are 160lb

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,572 Posts
Who is the person or company to send them to? Also, I don't want them gone for a month. If I am understanding you guys correctly, I need to change the front shock spring as well as the back two springs? The dump truck analogy made me laugh because that is what it feels like. Going down a choppy trail I could hardly stay on the sled. Partly because the seat is so slippery. I seriously thought some dipshit played a joke on me and sprayed it with Armour all. My 7s display also will not find the satelights. I just keeps searching all day for them. So I have that going for me!
On the 7SDD, try moving around the wire going to the GPS antenna puck in the top of the glovebox. Do it slowly, and you will probably see a satellite lock occassionally. You have an antenna wire that was pinched/damaged.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy XCR 850 136
102 Posts
I have just over 160 miles on my 2022 XCR now and the last 75 miles were on beat up trails with 3 feet moguls where I didn't really let off. I weight 195lbs without gear and I have everything set as it came from the dealer and I am very impressed so far. I have bottomed the center shock a couple times but on pretty big stuff so I might turn up the high speed compression a little but compare to the stock valving that was on my 2020 XC this much more aggressive. Still waiting on optimal conditions to dial this suspension in but honestly there hasn't been anything so far that make me think it needs major changes.

Based on my experience it sounds like you might have blown out shocks... or you ride a lot harder than me which would hurt my ego but hey its possible

·
Premium Member
6,572 Posts
No satellite fix:
The assault is a different animal. No coupling yet a very traditional 90s-2000's rear shock geometry. Spring on the shock. That's not all bad but it is given the geometry of this arrangement.

This rear suspension was: cost
reduction+weight target+make it good enough for it's intended purpose. It's not really a "trail" sled. It's made to get you to illegal off trail riding and to assault your spine on the trails back. Mission accomplished.
After I put in the Light Duty torsion springs on the MY21 SBA, I am very pleased with the on-trail ride and handling. I don't like heavy ski pressure, high effort handlebars, so I run the IFS springs with low preload, and 10" of carbide on SLP Mohawk skis. It also works well off trail, with some help from the Ice Storm 1.5 track. The IGX rear suspension in the SBA has a front torque arm length and placement, that is much closer to that of the MY15up Pro-XC suspension, than most suspensions from the 1990's-2000's.

Reactions: Powa

·
Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Thanks. That post was very helpful to the rest of us.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Looks like they don't do Polaris suspension work?
His web site is not up to date. He covers all the brands (though he specialized in Yamahas initially as they needed the most help, lol). Call him (Robert), he will gladly go over it with you. A stand-up guy; very knowledgeable guy and won't try to sell you what you don't need.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but alas, the info is all true and was meant to be helpful... FWIW, he is the chap in the picture on the first page of this article (which he helped to co-write): https://fcmq.qc.ca/files/9814/7023/4151/Workshop_2006_11.pdf

BTW, he also just picked up the Fox line and will be the service center for Eastern Canada
Thank you for that suspension article. I am unfamiliar with this shock technician, and had not heard of his WER shock mods for the IGX.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you for that suspension article. I am unfamiliar with this shock technician, and had not heard of his WER shock mods for the IGX.
You're most welcome. He is well known in Quebec, not so much outside of. Best of all, he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. FYI, he is well known by the manufacturers as he has attended Snow Shoot for over 15 years now with the Motoneige Quebec magazine (the magazine of the FCMQ) team and his input is often sought by the OEM techs. He is the real deal, and I am not saying that because he's my friend. Call him and you'll see.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Pfffttt! All complete bullshit posts. Lenn the Polaris Ambassador said when reviewing the ‘22 XCR that the suspension, “It’s perfect! Don’t change a thing.”

It’s obvious you guys aren’t riding the XCR the way it was intended.
Just go away you useless troll.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 96 Posts