Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I'm not saying it's impossible, the vr1 I rode last year I bottomed quite a bit on rough trails. That's why I am hoping the XCR will be better, and after putting some miles on my dad's yesterday it is definitely better!
That was my experience with the vr1 and why I SCed a xcr.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess my expectations were that this was a mogul smashing machine. Our riding styles are a bit on the extreme side for sure but so is the style of the guys on the ski doos. And they are not bottoming out ( which I hate to admit). Am I expecting too much? I love everything else about the handling of the sled. There has to be something or someone that has the absolute answer .... and it can't be don't ride so hard. I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The XCR has 16.2" of rear travel, how do you bottom that out with a decent shock? For reference the Doo X only has 11.5 inches of rear travel and it is not very stiff.
Where can you measure 16.2 inches? That's creative measuring, not true vertical travel. I'm sure poo and doo are pretty close if measured correctly.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You are not expecting too much. I am looking for the same, I kept my last sled for 6 years (normally update 2-3 years) because it ate up everything I could throw at it, 3-4 footers stayed straight and laughed at them. So I'm with ya, just haven't seen a stock Doo in over 10 years that could handle that type of riding very well. Very curious to try a lynx, and hopefully when my buddies get here I'll be able too! But I would definitely verify that everything is set properly, and its not impossible that a shock could be blown on both. Unlikely, but not impossible.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I guess my expectations were that this was a mogul smashing machine. Our riding styles are a bit on the extreme side for sure but so is the style of the guys on the ski doos. And they are not bottoming out ( which I hate to admit). Am I expecting too much? I love everything else about the handling of the sled. There has to be something or someone that has the absolute answer .... and it can't be don't ride so hard. I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone.
Start with a set of HD rear torsion springs, and check your preload on the FTS, just had mine apart and it basically came with ZERO preload from the factory, I would start with 1/8"-1/4" preload on the FTS and work up to 1/2" preload. If that doesn't make you happy, try a little stiffer FTS. Dial in the FTS Spring once you have the HD springs on the rear. You just need to find the balance you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Agreed with others about adjusting the front track shock as needed. I personally am a big fan of dual rate/spring set ups on the FTS, I know doo used to use them, not sure if they still do on the new stuff. I had a hygear set up on my last cat that worked great. If I need help with the xcr hygear definitely will get my business again.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Agreed with others about adjusting the front track shock as needed. I personally am a big fan of dual rate/spring set ups on the FTS, I know doo used to use them, not sure if they still do on the new stuff. I had a hygear set up on my last cat that worked great. If I need help with the xcr hygear definitely will get my business again.
These are a dual rate spring from the factory, just so everyone is clear.(y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just wondering if you verified that the IFS and FTS springs were set as per the manual specs? Often they are not.
I did put 1/4" more preload on the IFS. I love the front end. I don't have much preload on the FTS. I can move it a little bit side to side. I didn't want to make it too stiff and cause the fulcrum effect. I started both rear shocks at two on the high speed and 4 on the low speed. I just kept going up until I ran out of clicks. That was over 2.5 days of riding and 450 miles

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did put 1/4" more preload on the IFS. I love the front end. I don't have much preload on the FTS. I can move it a little bit side to side. I didn't want to make it too stiff and cause the fulcrum effect. I started both rear shocks at two on the high speed and 4 on the low speed. I just kept going up until I ran out of clicks. That was over 2.5 days of riding and 450 miles
Ya you might as well wait until you get the HD springs or you will be spinning your track.... Find the springs before your next ride, and you will have something to work with.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Nothing but good things to say about Hygear, start to finish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Start with a set of HD rear torsion springs, and check your preload on the FTS, just had mine apart and it basically came with ZERO preload from the factory, I would start with 1/8"-1/4" preload on the FTS and work up to 1/2" preload. If that doesn't make you happy, try a little stiffer FTS. Dial in the FTS Spring once you have the HD springs on the rear. You just need to find the balance you're looking for.
How are you measuring that? How much tension is on the spring before you start your measurement

·
Registered
612 Posts
How are you measuring that? How much tension is on the spring before you start your measurement
I measure mine with the shock out, it's an 8" spring with no preload on it. It will be difficult for you to measure with it in the sled, with that plastic/rubber condom over the spring. There isn't must room with it in the garage without snow in the skid, gonna be a bitch if you really want to change it in the field...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Who is the person or company to send them to? Also, I don't want them gone for a month. If I am understanding you guys correctly, I need to change the front shock spring as well as the back two springs? The dump truck analogy made me laugh because that is what it feels like. Going down a choppy trail I could hardly stay on the sled. Partly because the seat is so slippery. I seriously thought some dipshit played a joke on me and sprayed it with Armour all. My 7s display also will not find the satelights. I just keeps searching all day for them. So I have that going for me!
No satellite fix:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The XCR has 16.2" of rear travel, how do you bottom that out with a decent shock? For reference the Doo X only has 11.5 inches of rear travel and it is not very stiff.
Don't read too much into those stats; the difference lay mostly in how the travel is measured (at the bump stop on Doos, at the axle on Poos). FWIW, Doo changed the way they measured the travel a few years back, prior figures were virtually identical between the two.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
As long as your shocks are ok. I would spring it stiffer to include ski springs. I think they are only 100 might want to go 120-130. A bit stiffer on fts. And maybe rears. This will allow you to bring the kickers down into a more mid range of adjustment. If you think the 22 is soft. Try a stock 20. Lol. I think they actually did a good job splitting the difference between the stiff bottom resistant ride I like and the plush ride others like. Imo and the way my sled is riding right now. I think a few hundred bucks in springs will set it right up. I honestly think most average buyers 200ish and under will be happy with it. Righ out of the box. It’s actually rideable. The 20 with stock calibrations was a shitbox until resprung and revalved . 1600-1800 later I got the 20 rocking. I’m 99 percent sure for about 400 I’ll have the 22 kicking ass in the bigger bumps with my heavy ass on it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I guess if you want to run 80-90 down a trashed out railbed or forest access road, buy a doo. If you want a sled that that can handle the rough stuff and still dance throught he corners, buy a poo. Just sayin, but I would rather have a sled that handles like a dream and can still handle the rough stuff. If you love Doo soo much, why are you on this forum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nothing but good things to say about Hygear, start to finish.
I will call hygear in the morning. Thank you to all.
I guess if you want to run 80-90 down a trashed out railbed or forest access road, buy a doo. If you want a sled that that can handle the rough stuff and still dance throught he corners, buy a poo. Just sayin, but I would rather have a sled that handles like a dream and can still handle the rough stuff. If you love Doo soo much, why are you on this forum.
I think you are misunderstanding. I am not riding down trashed out rail beds. I am riding trails that every now and then have a washout in the bottom of a hill or dip. If you hit that at 50 it should handle it. The reason I am on this site is because I have a polaris xcr and am looking for insight on how to fix a problem that I am having with it. I thought that is what this site is for.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts