Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a suspension guru but I know when it doesn't work. I am just returning from a ride in the U.P.. We had two new xcrs, one new mxzx, and one 19 mxz xrs. I rode them all. My and my nephews xcrs bottomed excessively. Buy the end of the ride I had my rear shocks as stiff as they could go with springs set on high. I am 200 lbs. We do ride pretty hard so we are hitting the random wash outs at a pretty high pace. I felt my toe nails go through the top of my helmet more times than I can count. It also did horrible on the stutter bumps. Nephew had pretty much the same results. When I jumped on the ski doos they performed WAY better. What the hell am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
i came from an xcr rush to a 21 xcr axys . one thing i noticed yesterday was the lack of bucking in the rear. the rush will not buck if you are on the gas , but sometimes you can't be on the gas. i felt better in high speed corners , but time will tell. i too bottomed out , but i only had my clickers on 2. wasn't big bumps, and it rode beautiful like that. but there were a couple whoppers i blew right through my valving. i can try turning them up but i have a feeling i am going in them sooner than later. i hate to wreck it's smoothness so i'll ride it and maybe add a little spring to the fts too. i'm still tinkering but so far i love this thing. 850 different power delivery than 800. i had hoped the axys xcr had dream valving in it that i could change my own to.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I am not a suspension guru but I know when it doesn't work. I am just returning from a ride in the U.P.. We had two new xcrs, one new mxzx, and one 19 mxz xrs. I rode them all. My and my nephews xcrs bottomed excessively. Buy the end of the ride I had my rear shocks as stiff as they could go with springs set on high. I am 200 lbs. We do ride pretty hard so we are hitting the random wash outs at a pretty high pace. I felt my toe nails go through the top of my helmet more times than I can count. It also did horrible on the stutter bumps. Nephew had pretty much the same results. When I jumped on the ski doos they performed WAY better. What the hell am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?
Welcome to the XCR. So far my 20’ 21’ and the 22 I rode all bottomed fairly easy. I’m 175 riding weight and bottomed all of them more than they should. I’m beginning to think it’s the geometry of the skid. The more compression you throw at it or stiffer revalve, it rides like an empty dump truck everywhere else.

Doo seems to be able to get the best of both worlds, I’ll give them that.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XC 850 SwitchBack 146
1,757 Posts
The shocks NEED to be looked at. Waste all the time you want on here listening to all the advice. Your symptoms are the same as mine (ours were). Walker Evans QC department needs a good douching. I bought a BRAND NEW XC a few years back with WE shocks & they were HIT out of the box, period. I was not the only person with this problem, it's known. Save your time & make sure they aren't junk now. I wasted an entire riding season listening to all the Gurus tell me that I didn't know what the fuck I was doing as far as setting up a suspension as I was new to Poo & coming from riding Cats.
I even got into a pissing match with this little Runt that owns (Daddys biz) a Poo dealership in the Western UP.........who thought he knew his craft.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I initially ordered the '22 XCR 850 136" (SC'd) but they couldn't come through for me with what they do for a living....... so, I settled on a floor model 850 XC SB 146 with FOX shocks. This may have been a blessing in disguise, who knows. I'm not a WE fan after my expensive experience.
I do like my new current SB146 FWIW.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know what the differences are between an XCR and an XC but I just had suspension work done on my XC. I had bought the HD torsion springs from Polaris and they weren't enough. Do you have 3" of sag in your rear skid and are your a-arms level? I'm not an expert nor will I pretend to be which is why I took my sled to legit experts.

Problem with my Pro-cc was the center shock. Too much weight on it, spring was too long. Ski springs too weak. Start cranking up center spring preload and the ride just gets harsh. Most likely not the shocks but just that its under sprung. If you are only 200lbs and need to run your torsions on high to reduce bottoming then that's a problem. Dude I saw is a suspension guru with years of experience racing and building superbikes and he told me that a lot of people need to run a dual rate setup on the front and stiffer torsions out back, minimal preload on the center shock as there is already too much pressure on the fulcrum. To demonstrate we raised the rear of my sled and then carefully lowered it, the center touches ground first with 80% of the sleds weight on it.

I posted a video the other day where John from Accelerated Technologies (based in Ontario) explains suspension issues and at about 2hrs in he talks specifically about the 850 XCR. He puts the thing on automotive scales to show just how poorly optimized the suspension is from the factory. He also discusses the major differences between KYB, WE, Fox and Elka shocks. He will also discuss the importance of rebound.

I'm 100lbs more than you but after cinching up my limiter strap, letting out the center preload, installing dual rate springs on the IFS and .405 torsions out back the sled is level and balanced. I don't have the Velocity shocks but my shocks don't need to be re-valved even at my weight. It's not about the shocks but the springs. You can have your shocks at max but if the springs are too weak it will still bottom. I recommend you check out this video. (
)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Just ensure your shocks are not junk, it's not unheard of. You are riding an "XCR"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't think anyone can get a Poo to ride as good as a Doo period. My 17 Assault rode Ike a horse wagon, didn't matter what I did. I decided to try an Assault this year against my better judgment, we will see what the outcome is. Honestly it can't be worse then my last experience.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who is the person or company to send them to? Also, I don't want them gone for a month. If I am understanding you guys correctly, I need to change the front shock spring as well as the back two springs? The dump truck analogy made me laugh because that is what it feels like. Going down a choppy trail I could hardly stay on the sled. Partly because the seat is so slippery. I seriously thought some dipshit played a joke on me and sprayed it with Armour all. My 7s display also will not find the satelights. I just keeps searching all day for them. So I have that going for me!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
On
I don't think anyone can get a Poo to ride as good as a Doo period. My 17 Assault rode Ike a horse wagon, didn't matter what I did. I decided to try an Assault this year against my better judgment, we will see what the outcome is. Honestly it can't be worse then my last experience.

On my assaults I go to the lite weight torsion spring, makes them ride great. I ride hard and rarely bottom out. I have WE hi/lo’s all the way around. 200-210 geared up. As far as the doo riding better, I believe it is in their seat.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I run dual rate springs on my front track shock a bit of a odd combination if you ask any shock guy but it works really well for me at 220lb and my sons sled he’s only 185lb. I use Faulkner springs the tender is a flat wire spring designed to coil bind I use a 250 rate on that and my main is a traditional coil usually 300 or 350 depending on where I’m riding. I found being able to use the coil bind spring of lighter rate than my main I can get very Ski Doo like comfort in the stutter bumps etc and then I rely on that heavy main rate to take over for bottoming control. Been doing this since my 2019 and the pro cc debuted I’ve tried loads of revalves different style WE shocks etc and only that combination works for me. I do also have a Elka Stage 5 shock that works well but at 1075 it’s a pricey unit.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My father's new xcr rode awesome yesterday, was very impressed with the out of the box feel. Didn't get a chance to throw some really big stuff at it yet. But the 1 footers I rode through, it was pretty damn good. I also heard today mine is on a truck somewhere haha.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Absolutely can. Doo has the best seat in the business. The only place I give r motion the nod is in stutters. When stuff gets knarly the doos that I rode I thought were trying to kill me. Started swapping all over the place and had a very hard time keeping them straight. Pushed like freight trains, big reason you see aftermarket skis on most of them. Best one I rode was a buddies xrs that he had monster performance set up. And don't get me wrong, I don't think they are junk, just haven't had the best experiences, and alot of the guys i ride with are now on poo's. I do spend a fair amount of time setting up my stuff though. If I can get my new XCR to ride and handle like my '16, I will be one happy sob!
Assaults do tend to be stiff for alot of riders. Most are probably better suited to 137 xc, vr1. And we will see what the '22 XCR has to offer.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
If your nephew's rode the same way then It's not the sled. It is your riding style and or your expectations. But if only one rode poor then obviously that sleds shocks may be in question.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The XCR has 16.2" of rear travel, how do you bottom that out with a decent shock? For reference the Doo X only has 11.5 inches of rear travel and it is not very stiff.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I'm not saying it's impossible, the vr1 I rode last year I bottomed quite a bit on rough trails. That's why I am hoping the XCR will be better, and after putting some miles on my dad's yesterday it is definitely better!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just wondering if you verified that the IFS and FTS springs were set as per the manual specs? Often they are not.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts