Hardcore Sledder banner

Xcr 800 with tempaflow

3K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  Xcr800m20 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some one with a tempaflow on their xcr 800.. I just installed mine and I can't seem to dial it in.. So I'm hoping someone who has it installed can share with me their tune and maybe show pictures of their airbox after installation.. The more input the better

#3 ·
I really appreciate that thank you i had 410 main and 45 pilots.. It was very lean.. I put 450 and 50 on there and it still wants to die after giving any throttle at all.. I have the 1/2" T on the bottom shelf and the tempaflow in the top shelf and the center carb has the nipple in the top leading to the tempaflow

#5 ·
I'm afraid that you have other problems.

Don't assume that a TF will allow you to put huge main jets in the carbs and the TF will lean it out.
I tried that on mine years ago. I tried 440 mains. Way too rich. So, ended up with the same 400 mains as worked best before TF and a 50 pilot with a .9 PAJ and needles in center slot.

The TF doesn't seem to do much at WOT. Only at low and mid range. I know that Holtzman says it does, but it doesn't.

#7 ·
So i am currently running PAJ 0.8,pilot 50, starter jet 145,main 450.. Once I disconnect the tf it runs like hot damn no bog anywhere on the power band i was running 410s but switching to 450 really woke it up.. I have no idea if work has been done to the top I haven't been in it yet and previous owner seems to be less than truthful.. That being said after connecting tf it bogs with any throttle you can hear one cylinder go down immediately (dg stinger can) so it's easy to hear one cylinder go down and then it wants to die completely unless given choke this will bring back cylinder 3 and will run clean at 1/4-1/2 throttle.. Is I give over 1/2 it wants to die unless full choke will not idle unless choke is off

#10 ·
I suspect that your vacuum source is hooked up incorrectly. It must be attached to the flat plate covering one of the carb slides by drilling a hole and pressing a fitting into it.

This is then connected to a large hose attached to the TF portion protruding from the airbox. The rest of the TF body should be inside the airbox with a really large hose picking up the airbox atmospheric pressure. This hose must be placed under the shelf near the same location as the original bowl vent hose fittings are placed. These fittings are capped and no longer used. Finally, a smaller hose must attach to the lower pointed fitting and a hole drilled in the airbox a bit lower than the one the TF is protruding from. Then a smaller hose exits the airbox and attaches to all three float bowl vent hoses via a three way tee.

The TF then combines airbox pressure with a slight venturi vacuum from the flat carb cap to slightly reduce atmospheric pressure acting on the surface of the fuel inside the float bowl and lean the mixture according to temperature changes. It can only lean the mixture down, not richen it from the baseline jetting in the carb.

#8 ·
I've talked to holtzman directly several times and described what I was experiencing and he didn't know what to tell me had me try a few things but to no avail so i am hoping to piggy back off one of you who has it installed and operating as it should

#11 ·
So I'll walk you through what I have set, I have a hole drilled in the top of center carb lid, this goes to the small hose which goes to the reducer then the 1/2 hose to the tf.. Screw is facing outward most of it is inside of the top shelf the 1/2 comes off the back side of the tf to an elbow which goes down to the bottom shelf I drilled a hole through bottom of top shelf and top of bottom shelf to accomplish this.. From here the 1/2 goes to the T fitting in mid of the bottom shelf where it is zip tied to the side.. All hoses are air tight

#13 ·
That's way too low inside the lower half of the airbox. Carbs will be drastically leaned out if too close to mouths of carbs. Large tee needs to be raised to same area as hose fittings were.

How is the smaller hose coming off the bottom of the TF attached and routed to carb vent hoses? It should run slightly downhill. Not uphill towards carbs as fuel can accumulate and block hose. If the vent hoses become blocked no fuel can be forced to flow into lower pressure carb bores from the float bowl having slightly higher air pressure. This is the guiding principle of carburetion.

#14 ·
It's routed down hill it has a loop in it and zip tied to tiddy it up but it is above the carbs, it is coming from top shelf.. See I told mr holtzman my concern was it was too close to the carbs mouth that it would effect it he said as long as it's in the correct shelf it shouldn't matter

#15 ·
It's routed down hill it has a loop in it and zip tied to tiddy it up but it is above the carbs, it is coming from top shelf.. See I told mr holtzman my concern was it was too close to the carbs mouth that it would effect it he said as long as it's in the correct shelf it shouldn't matter
He's wrong. I have lots of experience in proper placement of those vent hoses to avoid problems in turbo applications. One rule of thumb is to stay at least 1 1/2 times the inside diameter of the carb mouth away as measured from the center of the carb. On a typical 38 mm carb, the inside of the carb bell is about 2 7/8". Thus 1.5 times 2 7/8" is 3 1/4" away in all directions. This is an absolute minimum dimension. Farther is better.

I lost confidence in M. Holtzman when he told everyone that his TF worked at WOT in this application.

Also, you shouldn't have any loops in that vent hose going to the carbs. It will trap fuel on rough trail riding from sloshed fuel.

#16 ·
Noted, I'll make some adjustments tomorrow and get back to you! Thank you for your time and help i appreciate it a lot, you wouldn't happen to have a Helix for sale I could buy for it? I don't know what helix is on it but it's not stock and I want a more aggressive corner to corner experience

#19 ·
I have never installed a different button helix in mine that the stock R-12. But, have tried several different secondaries. Currently use a Paragon with straight 58 deg helix and torsional spring setup. I usually get 12-13 mpg. Geared at 22/40. Throttle response is very good. Almost too quick for trail riding.

I help two other riders with 2001 XCRs. They race on ice. Also, use the R-12 helix. One just dropped gearing to 22/41 from 22/39. He runs 10-66 weights, 370 mains, 14" wide x 128 speed track. Racing Saturday at Houghton Lake.

We use the Ultimax XS 816 drivebelt. The new 075 Polaris belts are junk.

Not sure, but might have another R-12. Will check.

#18 ·
I'm sorry xcr1250 i missed your message completely! Absolutely so the reason is I live kinda in the middle of no where and the nearest gas station with 91 octane is a hike away and to add to that my father rides an old 98 xlt which gets pretty good mileage in comparison to my xcr.. So to sum it up I'm looking to improve mileage too closer to his.. Right now he uses about 7 gallons to my 9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.