Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im runnin an 03 xcr 800..seems that i can only get a tank and a half of gas to one tank of oil..the hack marks on the pump are aligned ...is this normal..my buddies can go about 2-3 tanks..there runnin tcats..and other big iron..
thanks

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
verify where the oil lever is adjusted too.. make the rod mark aligns with the mark on the pump. I would not go any lower in the adjustment

·
Premium Member
39,129 Posts
You need to check the Polaris service manual for the proper method on pump adjustment, my 2000 XCR 800 uses less than half of what yours is using.

Don

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Do what the others suggested.
You can't compare to a T-Cat, because they have a smaller gas tank and bigger oil tank.[/b]
Before you do anything, fill her right up with oil, then right up with fuel. Go for a drive -- at least 25-30 miles. Fill up fuel and keep track of gallons (litres) and do the same with the oil and figure out the ratio. If you are close to 40:1, then I wouldn't worry. Personally, a little fatter on oil wouldn't hurt. I'd rather burn more than not enough. IF you are in the 35-40:1 range, I wouldn't touch it. Oil is the cheapest thing these things eat......

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
True words of wisdom. Wait til you want to do the water pump or replace the green slides. As soon as you mention those 2 things at the parts counter you'll hear the rubber gloves snap in the back room.

·
Registered
320 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2004 500 xc sp. I had a post on here looking for answers. I bought it with 500 miles on it and have put about 210 miles on it this year. I haven't measured the oil yet "waiting to refill it" but my estimate is at least 1.5 qts for 8 gallons of gas but close to 21 to 1 ratio. My buddies say it smokes constantly. I checked the polaris manual and it says the lines on the pump should line up when the carb slides start to move. Mine are lined up in the resting position. I have to check next time I go to camp.

I have also heard of dealers adjusting the oil pumps on new sleds to use more oil for break in.

Pockets tells me the factory lines are not always correct. I am going to back mine off, a little at a time.

You also want to check and see if it is sticking open

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2004 500 xc sp. I had a post on here looking for answers. I bought it with 500 miles on it and have put about 210 miles on it this year. I haven't measured the oil yet "waiting to refill it" but my estimate is at least 1.5 qts for 8 gallons of gas but close to 21 to 1 ratio. My buddies say it smokes constantly. I checked the polaris manual and it says the lines on the pump should line up when the carb slides start to move. Mine are lined up in the resting position. I have to check next time I go to camp.

I have also heard of dealers adjusting the oil pumps on new sleds to use more oil for break in.

Pockets tells me the factory lines are not always correct. I am going to back mine off, a little at a time.

You also want to check and see if it is sticking open[/b]
I adjusted my oilpump this year as it seemed a little lean to me. Last time out last season I figured out the ratio. Have a clear bottle with measureing increments so I know exactly how much oil I put in. I put in 875 ml (0.92 qaurt) on 7 imp gallons of fuel (32 litres), works out to around 35-37:1

A little on the richer side, but last year I figured out she was around 47:1 -- like I said, I'd rather have a little more oil than not enough. I just wish the damn oil container was bigger!!! You can BARELY squeeze two tanks of fuel out of it!

Gonna have to invest in an oil caddy...

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Luckys-04 500xc, if your marks line up at rest, it is adjusted too high for sure. The marks should line up when you have taken the slack out of the throttle, but before the slides start to move.

·
Premium Member
39,129 Posts
Luckys-04 500xc, if your marks line up at rest, it is adjusted too high for sure. The marks should line up when you have taken the slack out of the throttle, but before the slides start to move.[/b]

Right on!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts