Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 xcr 8 and im having some issues with a random cruizing speed... example if i go for a trail ride and have a consistant throttle it drops rpm and studders, and if you punch it, it bogs let off and snap it again it cleans up... the only things ive changed are 430 jets 136" track with 22/41 lexan hood v force reeds and removed to heat shields and wrapped the pipes??
please help

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
With your description its hard to say if its now lean or rich.

What do the plugs look like when crusing and it slows down?

Why rap the pipes?, You may have made the pipes to hot, screwing up all kinds of things.

Also why that gearing, 1.86 ratio, a 440 could pull that gear?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With your description its hard to say if its now lean or rich.

What do the plugs look like when crusing and it slows down?

Why rap the pipes?, You may have made the pipes to hot, screwing up all kinds of things.

Also why that gearing, 1.86 ratio, a 440 could pull that gear?[/b]

at cruize they run like a light brown tip with black outer its weird.
well basiclly i was told that if there wrapped it keeps the heat in the pipes instead of under the hood... is that wrong???
that was just the gears that were in it when i got it with the 136", im not to firmilier with gearing i tryed a 20 41 but that was way too much for my set um, im sure if i changed a few over things it might be ok...???

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
The stock heat shields work fine. I doubt you gained anything with wrapping the pipes. What jetting, needle setting, fuel screw setting? I also agree to gear that thing taller. You are sacrificing a lot of performance, and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock heat shields work fine. I doubt you gained anything with wrapping the pipes. What jetting, needle setting, fuel screw setting? I also agree to gear that thing taller. You are sacrificing a lot of performance, and fuel mileage.[/b]

the jets now are 430s nedle setting is#3 and im un sure of the fuel screw setting at this time ill find that out and get back to ya.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the jets now are 430s nedle setting is#3 and im un sure of the fuel screw setting at this time ill find that out and get back to ya.[/b]

the thing ive noticed with wrapping the pipes is theres less heat under the hood...

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
give it more fuel in the mid range.. to see if it lean.. more fuel would not hurt for the test.. drop the clip 1 slot

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
give it more fuel in the mid range.. to see if it lean.. more fuel would not hurt for the test.. drop the clip 1 slot[/b]

alright ill try that and let you know.
thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
rule of thumb is that if you are lean in the midrange it will pop or backfire. either to rich or clutching is off. if all you do is play in the deep stuff your gearing is ok. but if you trail ride at all you are geared to low. 24-39 will give you more than enough bottom end power and pull.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
alright ill try that and let you know.
thanks[/b]
:russian_roulette: imo for most trail type rideing and lake running, stock gearing works best. i would doubt your jeting is rich enought to cause the problem, its may be as simple as needing a new belt, or a week clutch spring, start by checking the clutches, [bushings, buttons ] replace springs, new 075 belt, return to stock gearing, make that tripple work,they love it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rule of thumb is that if you are lean in the midrange it will pop or backfire. either to rich or clutching is off. if all you do is play in the deep stuff your gearing is ok. but if you trail ride at all you are geared to low. 24-39 will give you more than enough bottom end power and pull.[/b]
hey thanks good to know. Mine is more like its cutting down a cyl. but raspy at the same time,
My terrain is " deep snow" and trail but my track is heavy, what would be the best set up for gearing and clutching on this sled???
So i was also wondering, are these pre made clutch kits good for my app. im running at about 1800alt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:russian_roulette: imo for most trail type rideing and lake running, stock gearing works best. i would doubt your jeting is rich enought to cause the problem, its may be as simple as needing a new belt, or a week clutch spring, start by checking the clutches, [bushings, buttons ] replace springs, new 075 belt, return to stock gearing, make that tripple work,they love it![/b]

ya with the hood i can watch the clutches and the not disinguaging when it happens so im un sure of that but ill check them, also with this long track should i still be running a stock 24/39???

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i dropped the clip and it got slightly better but its definitly still there i got it to stay raspy at top end and shut it down to read the plugs, i got mag side is wet and middle is a browny tan and the clutch side is slightly darker then middle??? i have been told it could be stator???

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok so i dropped the clip and it got slightly better but its definitly still there i got it to stay raspy at top end and shut it down to read the plugs, i got mag side is wet and middle is a browny tan and the clutch side is slightly darker then middle??? i have been told it could be stator???[/b]
When is the last time you cleaned your power valves?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had this problem on my 01 XCR. It is stock and tried dropping needles one notch on 440 jets. Seemed to clear it up but started again this year. Pulled the clutch and it was shot. I just rebuilt it but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had this problem on my 01 XCR. It is stock and tried dropping needles one notch on 440 jets. Seemed to clear it up but started again this year. Pulled the clutch and it was shot. I just rebuilt it but haven't tried it yet.[/b]

ok so the dropping of the needle clips did nothing turns out it was the stator she was cooked
thatnks for the input guys!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts