Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a buddy who has the sled mentioned in the title and as we were talking we had some questions on his clutching:
1. What is a Polaris R-11 Helix in terms of angles?
2. How do you adjust/check the secondary offset on a polaris. His secondary currently 'floats' but he does not know if the offset is correct?
3. Any recommendations for setup on this engine with pipes? He is having a problem losing RPM's on top.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Hi,
Is this sled a VES motor? Or non... By the title I am guessing non with the "XC". About the only thing I can help you with without more info as to what pipes he runs... and what do you mean by it is losing RPM... does it start the shift, spike the RPM's then bog down (and to what RPM), or does it pull to a certain low RPM (say 7300) and stay there?
The Polaris R-11 is a 45/36 progressive helix. It is stock. The clutch off-set should be 5/8 of an inch. Stick a straight long peice of aluminum or steel on the back side of the primary clutch installed on motor, making sure to hit the front and back parts of the rear of the clutch (between clutch and motor) evenly. Measure the front of where the bar goes past the secondary clutch. It should be 5/8 of an inch... The float you speak of... I dont let mine go anymore that a 1/8 inch either way of the 5/8 needed. This allows for 1/4 total of float.
What is his current clutch set-up and jetting?

Hello,

I have a buddy who has the sled mentioned in the title and as we were talking we had some questions on his clutching:
1. What is a Polaris R-11 Helix in terms of angles?
2. How do you adjust/check the secondary offset on a polaris. His secondary currently 'floats' but he does not know if the offset is correct?
3. Any recommendations for setup on this engine with pipes? He is having a problem losing RPM's on top.

Thanks for any input![/b]

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi,
Is this sled a VES motor? Or non... By the title I am guessing non with the "XC". About the only thing I can help you with without more info as to what pipes he runs... and what do you mean by it is losing RPM... does it start the shift, spike the RPM's then bog down (and to what RPM), or does it pull to a certain low RPM (say 7300) and stay there?
The Polaris R-11 is a 45/36 progressive helix. It is stock. The clutch off-set should be 5/8 of an inch. Stick a straight long peice of aluminum or steel on the back side of the primary clutch installed on motor, making sure to hit the front and back parts of the rear of the clutch (between clutch and motor) evenly. Measure the front of where the bar goes past the secondary clutch. It should be 5/8 of an inch... The float you speak of... I dont let mine go anymore that a 1/8 inch either way of the 5/8 needed. This allows for 1/4 total of float.
What is his current clutch set-up and jetting?[/b]
tt

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate the repsonses. I have the answers to the following questions:

1. Is this sled a VES motor? Yes

2. does it start the shift, spike the RPM's then bog down (and to what RPM) – I have tried a couple different clutch set ups I started with Hot Seat 52-38 and the engine would spike 8200rpms and then bogs down to 7800rpm. The springs were hot seat as well grey for primary and white for the secondary. I am currently running pollaris 68gram weights. I put the r-11 helix in and over rev’ed slightly 8300 and then it still would bog down to 7900-8000

3. Was running a single hot seat pipe and still had the same issues. My current set up is SLP twin pipes, SLP power dome heads, SLP big air kit, V-Forced reeds, Hot seat boost bottle, Grey hot seat primary spring with 67gram weights, R-11 helix with white hot seat spring. The sled would run app 8400rpms and then drop down to 8100. The pipes say to run at 8200 for peak performance. I have 540 jets in my carburetor and new piston and rings.

My goal is to run this at 8200 rpm on top and hold it. The SLP pipes recommend that I run 66gram weights with a 52-34 helix I was hoping that I could put something together with what I had but I may need to break down and spend the money. The last ride I destroyed 2 belts so I might have an alignment issue.

He has an R-8 helix to try but does not know what angle it is?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
The white spring is waay to soft. You need an epi black, or polaris blue/orange. Is the hot seat helix a HSP52/38X? If so it should work. If it is an 02 engine/carbs, then you are jetted ok. If it is an 03-05 engine/carbs you should be around 470 mains. I also hope you have the stainless ves, and new springs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
:polaris_rules: :fart: :i_need_snow: i have a xc800 edge x and i have twin pipes, vforce 3 reeds ripsaw 1.25 track studded to death main jetted 480 with clutch work done and mine screams to 8000 then backs down to 7800 rpm then gradually back up but thats normal with the primary clutch closing and the secondary opening.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I really appreciate the repsonses. I have the answers to the following questions:

1. Is this sled a VES motor? Yes

2. does it start the shift, spike the RPM's then bog down (and to what RPM) – I have tried a couple different clutch set ups I started with Hot Seat 52-38 and the engine would spike 8200rpms and then bogs down to 7800rpm. The springs were hot seat as well grey for primary and white for the secondary. I am currently running pollaris 68gram weights. I put the r-11 helix in and over rev’ed slightly 8300 and then it still would bog down to 7900-8000

3. Was running a single hot seat pipe and still had the same issues. My current set up is SLP twin pipes, SLP power dome heads, SLP big air kit, V-Forced reeds, Hot seat boost bottle, Grey hot seat primary spring with 67gram weights, R-11 helix with white hot seat spring. The sled would run app 8400rpms and then drop down to 8100. The pipes say to run at 8200 for peak performance. I have 540 jets in my carburetor and new piston and rings.

My goal is to run this at 8200 rpm on top and hold it. The SLP pipes recommend that I run 66gram weights with a 52-34 helix I was hoping that I could put something together with what I had but I may need to break down and spend the money. The last ride I destroyed 2 belts so I might have an alignment issue.

He has an R-8 helix to try but does not know what angle it is?[/b]
my seld is doing the same thing go up two7900 then full offt two 7400 then stay there I have the same set up as you 520 jets 66 grams 50 38 helx then I try 42 34 same thing need help

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
You need a epi black or polaris blue/orange secondary spring. 510N mains for an 02 with twin pipes, 480's for single. Needle middle.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You need a epi black or polaris blue/orange secondary spring. 510N mains for an 02 with twin pipes, 480's for single. Needle middle.[/b]
Ihave a blue oranage spring and 520 jets 50 38 helx then i TRIED 42 34 same thing up two 7900 then full off two 7500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts