Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have the bottom half of a 1998 T-Cat engine on the bench and was thinking about drilling the holes for the grease fittings on the upper half when I said to myself, self why don't I just drill (3) 3mm holes from the balance shaft area into each cyl's crankcase. (see pic disregaurd circles) What do you think? Would there be movement of gas/oil between the case and the b/shaft area? Everthing is sealed so I don't think that would affect A/F mixture. Is there a down side. Everyone feel free to chime in.

Auggie

·
Registered
444 Posts
I dont know how much oil will be pushed into the bearing by the crankcase pressure. Also dont know if the oil,gas mix will just pollute the grease in the
bearing. The grease fitting on top of the gear is reported to work very well
in SWEDEN. The biggest problem was the antifreeze getting in the end bearing
from the water pump. Being a slow leak some people didnt realize the
antifreeze was going into the case. I am going to try the fitting on the gear
on my. Its a 99 with 4000 miles. The white grease "lithum compound" melts
at a low temp and blows around inside the counter case. If I had it apart I
would install the grease fitting and be done with it..It works...You repack the bearings with CAT grease on reassembly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did the mod while motor was in the sled. Not very hard at all. I "practiced" on my friends case which was split.. took very much care in paying attention to how deep to go then marked off the drillbits and went for it on mine. I drilled teh case 6mm with the bit for the zerk.. then I switched to a very tiny bit to finish drilling the last mm or so. I went REAL SLOW with the bit and boom done. I am wondering how often you should throw a few pumps in there?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats the thing jtman04401, if I drill the (3) holes you would never have to worry about if you have too little or to much grease or how often to grease. If this engine wasn't apart I would definalty drill the case but I would drill at least (3) if not more holes for the grease fittings. User2 said that the oil and fuel mix would pollute the grease but all the bearings in the engine are lubed using oil and gas?? This method would also allow oil/gas to go through the bearings to help lube the water pump seals. Anyhow the question I have is "will" the oil/fuel move back and forth between the b/shaft and the cyl crankcase??

Auggie

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes Auggie there would be movement. The pistons goes up and down, pressure rises and falls.
But drilling holes makes your case "bigger" and the mixture would "slip away" into the b/shaft area. One other thing is that you would not want to have fuel sprayed straight at the bearings. The grease would be washed away. I know what you mean, and it's a very good thought, but I would pass on it. The b/shaft has its issues with its lubrication and I wouldn't feel secure with that mod.
Mostly because it makes a leak in the case and couples the cylinders together which was not meant from the begining.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yah I here ya. Heres my thoughts. On the down stroke you may loose some mixture to the b/s area but you could gain it back on the up stroke so I think it would be a push. If needed adjustments could be made with jetting. Anyhow wouldn't the mixture take the path of least restience? As soon as the piston even starts to clear the transfers the mixture would head up there insted of through a (3)mm hole. The holes would be located inline with each con rod (see pic) and would not spray directely onto the bearings. As far as the grease being washed away I would think that the b/s bearings would live just as long as the crankshaft bearings which are lubed with the same gas/oil mixture. I know that the b/s bearings are smaller but when I open up these big block triples the b/s area is bone dry as is the oil pump drive. Its scarey. As far as coupling the cyls gose the mixture would have to go through a bearing to go from cyl to cyl that is spinning at 8300 rpm. I think that would be like running into a wall. Anyhow it sure is fun talking to you guys on this subject. I am going to call Don Eide (Suzuki engineer) at Arctic on Monday and run this buy him.

Auggie

·
Registered
353 Posts
Auggie, as in all other mods I've made it's a little of "learning by doing". You might be right on this one. And I too thought that the (if possible) lean mixture could be corrected by jetting.
It's a little work, but what I would do is do the mod and ride for awhile and then take the waterpump housing down and check the bearing. This test would benefit all TC/ZRT owners so your feedback is important.

Isn't it this people call evolution? :div20:

·
Registered
444 Posts
The reason I think the bearings are greased from CAT is there isnt anywhy
to move the charge in and out. You pressurize the case"counterbalance area"
but theres still no real flow. I am drilling...SWEDES put five pumps of CAT
low temp grease every season. I bet every 2000 or 3000 would work.
Need a SWEDE to answer on how often. I am certain the grease stays in
the counterbalance area. Its trapped.......

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Sep 10 2005, 01:02 PM
Well thats the thing jtman04401, if I drill the (3) holes you would never have to worry about if you have too little or to much grease or how often to grease. If this engine wasn't apart I would definalty drill the case but I would drill at least (3) if not more holes for the grease fittings. User2 said that the oil and fuel mix would pollute the grease but all the bearings in the engine are lubed using oil and gas?? This method would also allow oil/gas to go through the bearings to help lube the water pump seals. Anyhow the question I have is "will" the oil/fuel move back and forth between the b/shaft and the cyl crankcase??

Auggie
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=868608
[/quote]
The counterbalance bearing "4" are greased the rest are not. You grease
the counter bearings,oil pump and water pump gears on assembly.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know user2, I am not so sure that Suzuki greases the b/s bearings when they assy. these engines at the factory, because I have had several of them apart and their bone dry?? I am working on a 1998 T-Cat engine with 1049 miles and there is absoluty no nothing in the b/s area. Like I said before its scarey. As you may or may not know on one of my eailer posts I explained what I did to a 2000 ZRT800 engine (1967 miles and dry as a bone). I drilled two holes (.125"), one into the crankcase gear chamber and the other into the crankcase oil pump drive chamber from the crankcase transfer area (see pic upper half). (I got this idea from the 2005 440 Sno-Pro engine that I tore down). As you also know these two area's are connected to the b/s area (see squear in pic). When I assy. this engine I did grease the b/s bearings. This is my personal sled so I will drive it all winter and will do a compleat tear down in March. I will mount a Digtron gauge on the sled that monitors EGT,s Engine RPM, J/Shaft RPM and coolent temp. I will keep good records and write everything down. As x3m said and I quote "learning by doing" :beerchug: .

Auggie

·
Registered
353 Posts
You're welcome TeleThunder and I hope it works well for you. As a bonus I can tell you that you can replace the grease with some two-stroke oil in your grease pump. So you pump some grease in and then change for two-stroke oil and give it a few pumps more. It blends even easier!!
Quite logic :div20:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thought I should add something fun too. I've spent some time lately, converting my dear TC to run on alcohol. As I've said earlier all mods are a little "learning by doing" so now I've fired it up and tuned carbs a little to hear if it likes it and it... does. :banana:
It both sounds great and smells great (as in less smell). I'll keep you info'ed through the tests this fall. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I dont know if the factory greased them but the manual says to grease
them on reassembly. Will ask. Never had a new motor apart to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts